Google TV gaining Android Market, simpler interface with new update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    arasuarasu Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I must be very frustrating for Google's (cough) R&D department these days waiting for new ideas from Apple.

An even tougher must have been to go back in time and implement them before Apple does.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Logitech said that "very modest sales of its $249 Google TV-based Revue were exceeded by returns of the product

I have a lot of trouble believing that Logitech said that sales were exceeded by returns. That seems impossible.

Ya never know what these AI writers will invent next!

• Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Remember- AppleTV1 wasn't much of a kickass product either.

You know crap.

@TV 1 was, by any stretch of imagination, a kickass product. It was head and shoulders above anything else out there. I still use mine all the time, on a second TV in our household.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I have a lot of trouble believing that Logitech said that sales were exceeded by returns. That seems impossible.

Ya never know what these AI writers will invent next!

The product was so bad, that unfortunate buyers handcrafted a perfect copy at home, and then returned both the copy and the original to the store for full refunds.

• Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Yes! I've been wanting to do an App or two for my AppleTV ever since the $99 device came out. And yes, AirPlay mirroring is cool for home and insanely great for productivity/classroom situations.

I already know of at least one major university that considering a rollout. It's going to be a game-changer. I am betting that hundreds or organizations will follow soon.

In my own institution, we are already experimenting with it.

At $100, it changes the economics and convenience of classroom and meeting presentations dramatically.

AirPlay mirroring is a killer app. It's only a matter of time before GoogleSung comes out with their ripoff of it....
  • Reply 26 of 64
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsharrington View Post

Yes- that's a good point. The problem is that the UI is so clunky it's difficult to actually "browse". Scrolling, clicking, etc are all very frustrating. Pages often do not render in a useful way and it can be difficult to navigate back. The scrolling is particularly clunky and it's often difficult to get the part of the site you want to view to fit within the frame. (on my 1080P 42 in LED)

Really? Difficult to browse? In what way? The mouse pad to move the pointer, the mouse button to select and the back button to go back is too complicated? I have an HTPC but I browse the web on Google TV. The font size is what makes it such a pleasure to use on a 50" TV.

The weak point in GTV is hardly the browsing! The weak part is the lack of access to TV shows and Hulu. And the lack of integration with Comcast DVRs. The inability to search for a programs and seamlessly watch or set it for recording directly from the GTV remote.

The UI could certainly improve and it seems they have *begun* to address it in this release. I expect that the upgrade to ICS will make it better, just like ICS is a big step up from Honeycomb.

I bought the Logitech Revue because it was $99. I didn't expect to like it and thought I'd just set it up in the bedroom. But it's being used daily in the living room and am surprisingly enjoying it a lot.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AirPlay mirroring is a killer app. It's only a matter of time before GoogleSung comes out with their ripoff of it....

definitely agree with all of you about that. wireless makes all the difference. and it doesn't just mirror your iOS device screen, it let's you have a lot of other stuff to work with on it while sending the action image to your TV. check out Bloomberg's new free app to see how you can use both at once. very slick.

we're talking - dare i say - "real true" multitasing!

there is bound to be a wave of imaginative new iPad apps that take advantage of this.

yeah, Google will knock it off eventually. but it is not simple engineering. ICS doesn't do it (it can only send wired output of only your screen image to a TV), and neither does this GTV upate. guess Fandroids will have to wait for Choclate Turd or whatever.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:

You know crap.

@TV 1 was, by any stretch of imagination, a kickass product. It was head and shoulders above anything else out there. I still use mine all the time, on a second TV in our household.

I agree. I still have one on my primary tv we use the hell out of it. For a "hobby product" it's pretty kickass. I haven't bought the aTV 2 yet, but probably will soon.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kermit262 View Post

I wonder if the rumors of an Apple television set will hurt sales of Apple TV.

Apple doesn't care.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Apple will never build a television. You're crazy, Ireland.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:

You know crap.

And that's you and very few others. When was the last time you got a software update? Play Netflix much on it?
  • Reply 32 of 64
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're absolutely right- Samsung will build it and slap an Apple logo on it.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Hmmmm...can you say "potential future anti-trust violation?"

What? No.

How is this anti-trust? A google product on a google TV

You guys are also comparing this to an Apple TV which supports.... 720p.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:

And that's you and very few others. When was the last time you got a software update? Play Netflix much on it?

Netflix? Netflix? Figures. It's for Fandroids, Reed Hastings fans, and short sellers. It's the worst thing out there in terms of choices, flexibility, streaming quality (I've suspended my account for over six months now, and haven't missed it an iota).

LOL.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

You guys are also comparing this to an Apple TV which supports.... 720p.

What do you watch, where, via a networked product, in 1080p?

• Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:

No, Foxconn will.

Sigh, you Samsung trolls are out in force, and out of control.....

Get out, people. Find some self-esteem while you're out there.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

True that, lol. You probably mean Pegatron or Foxconn though.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You're crazy to think putting an AppleTV in a TV fixes the issue Jobs talked about.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're crazy to think putting an AppleTV in a TV fixes the issue Jobs talked about.

I never said it was that simple. In fact, I've been stressing for a long time now the thing that is holding them up is the content, but who doesn't know that?

I can't wait to see this product. It's very exciting to think about the simplicity of that world.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I never said it was that simple. In fact, I've been stressing for a long time now the thing that is holding them up is the content, but who doesn't know that?

So then you think Apple will not have inputs on their TV (because that's messy and un-Apple-like) which means they'll have to subvert the content providers that also are internet providers in US homes, there largest single and first market? That doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me, even when not considering how difficult TV and movies have been for the iTS in the US and around the world.

Quote:

I can't wait to see this product. It's very exciting to think about the simplicity of that world.

You can have that now. Just remove all other appliances from your HDTV except the AppleTV. You limit the content you can view but everything you've stated so far already does that, you've just put one box in another to save you a power cord and HDMI cable.