Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 62 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Todd Bradley, HP PSG executive vice president:

Quote:

...At the beginning of the year, Bradley [...] mused that by loading webOS on its PCs, "You easily exceed 100 million devices with WebOS deployed annually. That's the start of something pretty big."

That statement should strike fear into the hearts of any and all HP shareholders. Pad computing is the next generation of personal computing, and will likely drive growth for the next decade or two. And Bradley thinks that dumping webOS on traditional PCs, the previous generation of personal computing, will start "something pretty big." As if using webOS like a Trojan horse would change the world.

So no, it's not just HP's board that needs to be replaced. Senior management needs to be un-installed as well.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    I'm waiting for HP to hit rock bottom before they do anything awesome.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

of place?)

Honestly I think MS has a chance if they execute well and actually ship some awesome hardware some time soon before android gains momentum in tablet space.

• Execute well

• Excellent hardware

• Be timely

Those are not microsoft's core strengths. You did just describe Apple though

Cheers !
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yay! Godwin's Law! I win!

Yay! Ad-hom attacks! I win!

Yay! A personal vocabulary below that of my own in fifth grade!

Keeps getting better!

And the icing on the cake.

BRAVO! You've gone out on a high note!

NOW GET OUT.

Every time I'm on here you're either insulting someone or trying to start an argument. What about actually posting something sensible? Try and leave out the myopic statements and vitriol.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

Every time I'm on here you're either insulting someone or trying to start an argument.

Simple solution: Don't be on here.

I kid, of course. I don't insult people and I don't start arguments. I correct people a lot, that's for sure. If that's somehow an 'argument', I'd love to know why.

Quote:

What about actually posting something sensible?

What about actually reading my posts?

Quote:

Try and leave out the myopic statements and vitriol.

There's? only one side to the troll argument. And we can be just about as nasty as we want to the real ones. The only users that deserve to be made fun of more than the trolls are the spambots.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Amen!

This forum is reserved for Google bashing!

And Microsoft bashing!

And Adobe bashing!

And Samsung bashing!

And HTC bashing!

And Nokia bashing!

And HP bashing!

And Taiwan bashing!

And Korea bashing!

And....

Is it OK to bash IBM here?

I know that it is old news for The Rest of US to bash IBM, but the question really arises due to their sale of the PC business to Lenovo. Did that make the remaining parts of IBM off limits, or can I still bash IBM here for being Big Brother?

• Reply 68 of 74
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandman619 View Post

• Execute well

• Excellent hardware

• Be timely

Those are not microsoft's core strengths. You did just describe Apple though

Cheers !

I wonder if that is still true.

The iPhone was delayed many months for unknown reasons, but a failure to execute was a popular hypothesis. It is too early to tell, but the delay may well have cost Apple some profits.

The hardware is good - I'd call the MBA truly excellent. But disappointment with the i4S hardware was widespread. Maybe it is still excellent, but it is debatable now whether the hardware is superior to that of some competitors. There are lots of wacky hardware problems too - yellow tinted screens, etc. Dunno if that falls under hardware or execution or both.

Apple does the stuff you listed very, very well. But I wonder if they are slipping WRT each item compared to the Apple of old. Time will tell.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    Yeah, successful like the zune!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If it were really any good in terms of patents, Google would have bought it. They paid $12 B for Motorola Mobility with reports saying that patents were a large portion of that (although retained tax losses reduced the net price to something like $8 B, IIRC).

Google is in a bind wrt patents and would undoubtedly have bought it if they thought it was worth anything.

The marketplace has decided that conventional Windows tablets (full blown OS, x86, etc) aren't what everyone wants. I think Microsoft has learned their lesson and understands that there's a place for a media consumption device that doesn't run a full x86 Windows. If they do that, there's every chance that a Windows tablet might be successful.

• Reply 70 of 74
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I have no played with it but have heard it is a good OS. If HP don't want it they should sell it to someone who does, so the work isn't wasted, instead of just leaving it to rot.

I imagine they could sell it for something at least. Or...open source it. Maybe open source the OS but still make the hardware? I don't know. I agree it is unfortunate when unique platforms die.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    I have an iPad 2, a touchpad and I have also used some of the android tablets.

The iPad beats them all, but I really like what webos has to offer. It's very intuitive, has better multitasking & notification system and synergy (most of your online accounts sync into the os). There are 2 main issues i see with the OS, it does not feel like its fully optimized like iOS is, there's definitely some work needed to get the OS to be as snappy as iOS. The touch pad hardware is very powerful (though the design leaves allot to be desired) but webos does not take advantage of it (the OS is not accelerated by the graphics hardware). Then there's the apps. The browser is good, but not as good as safari (allot of little things can be improved) and the are only 1000 touch pad apps and most do not touch the quality of iPad apps. (though there are some gems)

I really hope that webos gets spun off, bought out by some one who really wants to continue it or hp will do an about face and put its full weight behind it. Competition is a good thing.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 73 of 74
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Ah, yes,I forgot IBM. Good catch.

In fact, a safe rule to follow in the AI forums is that you can say anything about any company in the world that isn't Apple, as long as it's negative.

The world simply won't be safe until all other companies are gone, and everything, even our food, comes from Apple.

If you disagree you're a paid troll.

But you just keep posting here, don't you? You and your pals, constantly going on about the low grade of discourse, the braying fanboys, the rigorously enforced group think. So rigorously enforced you're barely able to speak your mind fifty sixty or a hundred times without someone disagreeing with you! It's like a reeducation camp in here! That you voluntarily attend! With no consequences for telling everyone how stupid they are!
  • Reply 74 of 74
    musomuso Posts: 30member
    "...John Dvorak, a prominent bellwether who always rings in the wrong direction."

A perfect description of the man.