Apple rumored to be testing new ultrathin 15-inch MacBook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am sorry. But what is "OpticNervana®"?

It's better than Retina Display quality? and a term I made up.
  • Reply 42 of 97
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

The problem I'm having is that the 4Gb of ram is so clearly not enough that I doubt 8 will solve my problems; perhaps one of the techies who reads this can tell me: Is there a way to put 16 Gb in a 2010 MBPro and would a 15" MBA have the space for 16 Gb?

thanks

What exactly do you need 16GB for? Serious question. I have 4GB on my 13' Air and it's lightning fast. I routinely work on large files in the CS5 suite.
  • Reply 43 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quamb View Post

That'd be a shame, the 13" mbp is the perfect size vs powered computer on the market. And I'm sure the 13" mbp is one of Apple's best selling products?

The 13" MB Pro is one of Apple's best-selling portables but here's the thing;

the 13" MBA is thinner & lighter, uses the same integrated GPU, is the same (if not better) performance & costs only $100 more.

Assuming the next 13" MBA & MB Pro use the Ivy Bridge CPU and only integrated GPU there's no reason to keep the 13" MB Pro around except for the fact you can pack a little bit faster CPU in there. That's why I predict the Pros going only 15" & 17".

Look, like everyone else, I'm just guessing. I could be completely wrong & you could be right.
  • Reply 44 of 97
    People, be realistic.

4GB of RAM will be fine, I'm sure 8 will be an option

It can't be as thin as an MBA or it'll warp/bend easily

Point is it's PRO, we want speedy processors and graphics along with the reduced weight.

So...it's not a larger MBA, but yeah, I'm all for what Apple knows I need! :P
  • Reply 45 of 97
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But what about storage capacity? I don't want to be limited to a 256GB SSD card (that I don't think is even on the market yet) that costs $500. I like my 1TB+80GB setup. My system boots in 10 seconds and apps open with a single Dock bounce. Having an SSD for booting and apps paired with an HDD for data gives you the best of both worlds for a low cost per GB.

Do what I did. Hook up a big HDD to Airport and BOOM you've got always-on and accessible network storage. You could put anything on it, including the big apps you rarely use and they will run just fine. In fact, you save storage space by not replicating them over every single Mac you have.
  • Reply 46 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Do what I did. Hook up a big HDD to Airport and BOOM you've got always-on and accessible network storage. You could put anything on it, including the big apps you rarely use and they will run just fine. In fact, you save storage space by not replicating them over every single Mac you have.

I'd do that if I was less mobile, but I'm rarely ever settled in one place for too long. Lots of postings to AI from airports and hotels. So ti's nice to have a large internal drive to store all my media.
  • Reply 47 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I have been waiting for the 15" MBA since the redesigned 11 and 13s came out. I'm not sure it would meet my needs, but I want the option when I am ready to upgrade my CD MBP (from 2006, baby).

Me to baby! But, but please, for the love of god and all things fury and cute....Don't put in that crap intel HD 3000!!!!

If that bad boy is real and has Nvidia's tech inside I would sell my body for that SOB!
  • Reply 48 of 97
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I wonder if eventually we will no longer have need for "Laptops", but we will be using Tablets or iPad's for all our computing needs. Also if we were to need any type of optical drive we could drive share with our Desktops. If we don't have a desktop we could use a means like iCloud and the App Store to use and retrieve data. Actually I like using multi gestures on my iPad and not using a track pad on my macbook pro.

Where do you see this going? Will we be using Tablet type devices only in 10 years? Will we see one version of the MacBook Pro and three versions of the iPad?

I would really like to know whether there is a 15" MacPadPro in the lab.

Technologically, it cannot be that far away. Perhaps with a unified memory technology (non-Flash, RAM, HD) and touch version of Mac OS. What other new (horizon) technologies would be incorporated?

Best.
  • Reply 49 of 97
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

I'd do that if I was less mobile, but I'm rarely ever settled in one place for too long. Lots of postings to AI from airports and hotels. So ti's nice to have a large internal drive to store all my media.

Maybe Apple can fit 1.8" HDD for those who want them. I'm not sure how big they can be. Or a single platter 2.5" HDD if it won't compromise the lightness and thinness.
  • Reply 50 of 97
    Quote:

sounds like you need an iPod Classic
  • Reply 51 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What exactly do you need 16GB for? Serious question. I have 4GB on my 13' Air and it's lightning fast. I routinely work on large files in the CS5 suite.

either we must have different definitions of lightning fast or the solid state drive has a bigger impact than i think. I have 17" quad core i7 iMac with 12 gigs of ram. I run Photoshop, Xcode, Safari, Mail, and a few other things and there are times the computer lags. I'd probably have the 13 inch MBA already if it had an 8 gig ram option, I just can't see dropping down to 4 for my production work and I use an iPad for my other portable computing needs.
  • Reply 52 of 97
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

either we must have different definitions of lightning fast or the solid state drive has a bigger impact than i think. I have 17" quad core i7 iMac with 12 gigs of ram. I run Photoshop, Xcode, Safari, Mail, and a few other things and there are times the computer lags. I'd probably have the 13 inch MBA already if it had an 8 gig ram option, I just can't see dropping down to 4 for my production work and I use an iPad for my other portable computing needs.

I suppose you use Apple's Activity Monitor to see what is happening to your RAM. I have the same system as yours. Safari just keeps sipping and sucking on RAM until it's all gone. I currently have about 80 MB free with Safari accounting for about 1.2 GB of my 12.

All the best.
  • Reply 53 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I wonder if eventually we will no longer have need for "Laptops", but we will be using Tablets or iPad's for all our computing needs. Also if we were to need any type of optical drive we could drive share with our Desktops. If we don't have a desktop we could use a means like iCloud and the App Store to use and retrieve data. Actually I like using multi gestures on my iPad and not using a track pad on my macbook pro.

Where do you see this going? Will we be using Tablet type devices only in 10 years? Will we see one version of the MacBook Pro and three versions of the iPad?

Without Laptops, where will the dancers perform?

Cheers
  • Reply 54 of 97
    gbdocgbdoc Posts: 83member
    A 15" AirBook sounds like the "bigger, faster compact car" Detroit pushed a few years ago. However thin and light it gets, 15" is 15", a lot of real estate to carry around. What I'd love to have would be an AirBook with iPad dimensions. (Whatever it is, the iPad's clearly not a full-fledged computer - though who knows what's in store for iOS 7.)

An AirBook that size could still have a useful keyboard and the necessary I/O ports, and it'd be truly portable, much more so than the 11" AirBook. Even if it only had 128GB storage and 4GB RAM and reasonably-capable graphics (no need for super-mega games performance here, just enough to satisfy Keynote/PP and all my business apps), it'd become the computer you'd see in every professional's and businessman's briefcase and at all conferences, meetings and board tables (and thus help Mac replace Windows generally in the business world).
  • Reply 55 of 97
    I'll stick with my 11". You can't beat the portability on this thing! However it'll total perfection if remote sensor is put back in, and louder speakers and and 3G is added.
  • Reply 56 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Give the 11 inch air 1GB discrete graphics and I?m there.

Best Starcraft 2 device ever.

I think the 11 inch Air is the only Mac that supports the (optimal) 16:9 resolution.

Keep dreaming, kid.
  • Reply 57 of 97
    q2hq2h Posts: 18member
    15" and 17" Pro Air's would be awesome!
  • Reply 58 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

people want a 15" MBA with 8 gigs of RAM.

Not me. I'd rather have a 15MBP with a glass surface/display from an iPad. Basically, a 15" iPad screen that was 1/2 an inch thick that could accommodate USB, FW, thunderbolt, etc. I don't mind the ODD. I still Master CDs and DVDs...CDs have at least another 5 years before they really fade away and DVDs probably have 8.
  • Reply 59 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

I'll stick with my 11". You can't beat the portability on this thing! However it'll total perfection if remote sensor is put back in, and louder speakers and and 3G is added.

Audio speakers, in terms of practical output vs. electricity draw, are barely 50% efficient. Over half the energy sent by the battery is wasted. All speakers, regardless of size. The less juice required (earbuds) the more battery life you have. I don't expect they'll ever do much with speakers in the laptops....
  • Reply 60 of 97
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

[/quote]

That may be fine for you but it is hardly suitable for everybody. beyond that the real problem with the AIRs is that you are stuck with whatever you purchase forever. Well as long as you own the laptop. So if your needs change you have a bigger bill on your hands.

Personal experience comes to play here. When I got my 2008 MBP I thought 2GB would be fine but a few updates here and there and hanging needs, changed that perspective. In this sort of situation the AIR would have to be replaced.

[quote]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

People, be realistic.

That is a bit over bearing! Basically you are trying to tell people to ignore their needs and adopt you standards.

Quote:

4GB of RAM will be fine, I'm sure 8 will be an option

I wouldn't take bets on that either way.

Quote:

It can't be as thin as an MBA or it'll warp/bend easily

Actually this is a very important point. I do not expect a 15" AIR to be as thin as the others. They will need to adjust dimensions for strength.

Quote:

Point is it's PRO, we want speedy processors and graphics along with the reduced weight.

Nope it is an AIR. Pros still need a discreet GPU and other part leading to bulky boxes.

Quote:

So...it's not a larger MBA, but yeah, I'm all for what Apple knows I need! :P

How about this we get both an AIR and a new 15" MBP?