Jailbreak hack enables Siri on iPhone 4, 4th-gen iPod touch

1234689

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 167
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    And the Siri servers already starte buckle under the strain of 4 million iPhone 4S users in 3 days. These asshat trolls never think what would happen if Apple rolled out Siri to 120 million iDevices at once.



    As for Cash907's comment on Mango it's been for how long now and I still haven't had the update pushed to me. Apparently it's ok for MS to do a systematic and controlled release, but not Apple.



    Yeah, but. Siri is part of iOS, right? I tough that iPhone 4 (and 3Gs) owners are entitled to, was it 2 free major OS updates? Now... I can understand if old hardware cannot support some of the new features, but if it can, then Apple is purposely crippling update for owners who are entitled to fully functional update.



    Regarding MS, that is equally pretty sh*tty if they need that long to roll out update to every qualifying product. But here's to hope your update - once rolled out - will have full OS functionality enabled.
  • Reply 102 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Um? yeah! Without accurate voice recognition none of what Siri does in processing natural language would be pointless. You people really want to make NLP out to be nothing simply because it's in the iPhone. Pathetic!



    This has nothing to do with the iphone. We're just saying it has a few "trigger words/phrases" that define the context.



    Navigate to John's house.



    Okay, navigate being the obvious trigger word, now it knows it's doing something in maps. It looks through your contacts for John, and inputs the route. And if you're on Android, begins the voice navigation. Because after all, Siri's not the only one that can do this.





    Really though, this isn't magical.
  • Reply 103 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    As for Cash907's comment on Mango it's been for how long now and I still haven't had the update pushed to me. Apparently it's ok for MS to do a systematic and controlled release, but not Apple.



    But Mango is available on ALL WP7 phones. You probably don't have one though.
  • Reply 104 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


    Yeah, but. Siri is part of iOS, right? I tough that iPhone 4 (and 3Gs) owners are entitled to, was it 2 free major OS updates? Now... I can understand if old hardware cannot support some of the new features, but if it can, then Apple is purposely crippling update for owners who are entitled to fully functional update.



    Regarding MS, that is equally pretty sh*tty if they need that long to roll out update to every qualifying product. But here's to hope your update - once rolled out - will have full OS functionality enabled.



    1) This is a Beta that doesn't yet include Spanish.



    2) MS and many others due systematic rollouts. Only Apple has been foolish enough to act like a boutique company trying to do full on updates and releases at once, with several failures resulting in the process. This is progress for Apple.



    3) What's this entitlement of 2 years of updates with every feature that can possibly fit on the iPhone. It doesn't matter to you that the back end can't handle 120 million iOS devices at once?



    4) Would you really feel better if they installed the client side of Siri on your iPhone 4 (because the HW can handle it) but then didn't allow the server-side processing to take place? Wouldn't that mean you wouldn't be able to voice dial or play an artist or playlist in Music because the local Voice Control would be gone? How is that a better experience?
  • Reply 105 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post


    This has nothing to do with the iphone. We're just saying it has a few "trigger words/phrases" that define the context.



    Navigate to John's house.



    Okay, navigate being the obvious trigger word, now it knows it's doing something in maps. It looks through your contacts for John, and inputs the route. And if you're on Android, begins the voice navigation. Because after all, Siri's not the only one that can do this.





    Really though, this isn't magical.



    I think you're just jealous Siri can process natural human language better than you.
  • Reply 106 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I think you're just jealous Siri can process natural human language better than you.



    -Context trigger words

    -can process natural human language



    You see what you did there?
  • Reply 107 of 167
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Yes, Apple owes the world a complete explanation of all their strategic planning for software and hardware. And if we shoot ourselves in the foot doing work arounds, it's their fault.



    I don't expect strategic decisions to be shared with the rest of the world, but when a new OS comes out and Apple advertise its features and pushes people to upgrade the way Apple has, you better tell me why you are creating a tiered customer base, especially when we are locked by carrier contracts.
  • Reply 108 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post


    I don't expect strategic decisions to be shared with the rest of the world, but when a new OS comes out and Apple advertise its features and pushes people to upgrade the way Apple has, you better tell me why you are creating a tiered customer base, especially when we are locked by carrier contracts.



    1) If you are locked into a contract why does it even matter?



    2) The entitlement you people have is unreal. If Apple was trying to force you to update your current device by making it appear inferior why would they give you any update to the device, mucless going back three generations for the same basic OS. They'd just follow their competition's lead and never release a major update.
  • Reply 109 of 167
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Actually, more like putting a go-kart engine in a Rolls Royce and expecting it to perform well.







    And you know this because.....?



    There may be all sorts of reasons why it will not perform optimally. Apple is not interested in "we can make this stumble along" kind of performance. There may be a very solid technical reason why the 4S is needed (or why the 4 will not work well under all conditions). Or there may not be. But since no one is forcing you to buy an iPhone, what are you complaining about? Go buy an Android phone and do with out Siri if you wish.



    I had speech recognition and text to speech om my apple II+ with a 4 mhz 6502 so i'm pretty sure siri would run fine on the original iphone. All the heavy computing is done on apple's servers which are tasked with figuring out how to respond.

    Siri is definitely beta and here in Canada that would even be a stretch. But when i chose to get the 4s it was to upgrade my phone. With or without siri my decision would have been the same.

    When siri gets beyond beta i wouldnt be surprised to see it on other ios devices.
  • Reply 110 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    HU-DUR, IT LOOKS THE SAME, IT MUST BE IDENTICAL DURRRR



    Wow. It sure did take a while for the "Hu-Dur" meme to make it your way.



  • Reply 111 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    So you think Siri requests are sent to a server for shits and giggles? Awesome logic!



    Reason 1:

    When you have a set of machines processing something, it will be faster than a single machine doing it (duh). In this context, a set of servers (even moving at the same speed as an iPhone) can process your text faster than your iPhone because the load is being split among the servers, allowing more than one task to be processed at once. Your requests are also going to a server whose sole purpose is to decode "speech" context. While processing requests on an an iPhone may be fast, they can be faster in a server farm.



    Reason 2:

    By offloading the task of determining the meaning of your text to a server, Apple has the ability to upgrade and change Siri all they want without putting out software updates. Do you think Siri really thinks about what you say? No, it simply is reading predefined text that was created by someone else and was pointed to by your text. It is much faster to update a (decentralized) database than millions of iPhones; it saves the work of pushing the update to be downloaded through http servers, it keeps all editions of Siri's speech decoding identical and update to date, and users will never even notice that things are changing or be bothered about having to update for a change.



    Reason 3:

    By having Apple process the text instead of your phone, you can limit whose requests are processed. Basically, Apple can totally block out other iOS devices from using Siri with very little effort.
  • Reply 112 of 167
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    One of the first things SJ said when he launched the original iPhone was and I'm paraphrasing " it makes more sense to have software keyboard than a hardware keyboard, so that you don't need to buy a new phone to get a new feature" I interpret this to mean that as more and better UI's are developed they will be available on older hardware.



    So logically it makes no sense for Apple to limit Siri to only newer hardware unless they have real technical reasons not to like performance and so on. I do not believe Apple plays the game of obsessively keeping technology from users to coerce them to buying new hardware. They have generally made the hard ware better and do tend to make backwards compatible changes in the OS to as many of the existing phones as possible.







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    It is legal to drive a car. Some people drink and drive and kill people. By your logic, nobody should be allowed to drive a car.



    I paid $649 dollars for my iPhone. I own it. Nobody, including Apple is going to tell me what to do with it. Now if Apple wants to go after people illegally using its servers, that is another matter.



    Moreover, crappy IP laws discourage tinkering, which creates dumb people.



  • Reply 113 of 167
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,603member
    In a previous thread there is an interview with Saurik linked. I think it sums up jail breaking quite well. He shows off all the 'cool' stuff you can do with a jail broken iPhone. The best bit? When he goes into settings and it won't load.



    These guys seem to enjoy imperfect solutions and if they say Siri runs as fast on an iPhone 4 I would take this with a pinch of salt. I'm sure their device is rock solid and doesn't crash. \
  • Reply 114 of 167
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    It is legal to drive a car. Some people drink and drive and kill people. By your logic, nobody should be allowed to drive a car.



    I paid $649 dollars for my iPhone. I own it. Nobody, including Apple is going to tell me what to do with it. Now if Apple wants to go after people illegally using its servers, that is another matter.



    Moreover, crappy IP laws discourage tinkering, which creates dumb people.



    If you want to tinker then download Xcode, it's free. If you want to run your apps on your iPhone you can if you get a dev license.



    Shit, if your apps are any good you can even sell them on the app store.



    Your analogy makes no sense by the way. Wtf has drink driving and using a phone got to do with each other? Ooh ah, it's like jail breaking, get a fkin grip.



    I just think that it's funny how jail breaking was passed as legal but hacking an Xbox, ps3 Nintendo DS is all illegal. All of these processes are exactly the same. They all let you run home brew software AND enable piracy.
  • Reply 115 of 167
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It comes across like you're trying to downplay it. you're making this sound like the execution is simple and obvious. Isn't AI goal to get a computer to process natural language accurately?



    There is a reason this has been written about since the dawn of computers in Sci-Fi but only slowly and recently been showing up in our consumer electronics. Just going by what is currently available in non-4S iPhones and Android OS this is a big leap in utility.



    Sorry if it looked that way -- I was rather trying to point out that the particular examples didn't seem to require vastly different capabilities.



    Comparing Siri to related algorithms, I am quite amazed how advanced it is. "Speaktoit" on Android has a long way to go, and Vlingo is even further behind.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Um? yeah! Without accurate voice recognition none of what Siri does in processing natural language would be pointless. You people really want to make NLP out to be nothing simply because it's in the iPhone. Pathetic!



    Voice recognition is everywhere, the really good thing about Siri is that it is not reliant on perfect understanding of the commands, it rather goes after figuring out the context.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I think you're just jealous Siri can process natural human language better than you.



  • Reply 116 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    It is legal to drive a car. Some people drink and drive and kill people. By your logic, nobody should be allowed to drive a car.



    I paid $649 dollars for my iPhone. I own it. Nobody, including Apple is going to tell me what to do with it. Now if Apple wants to go after people illegally using its servers, that is another matter.



    Moreover, crappy IP laws discourage tinkering, which creates dumb people.



    You might own the hardware but you don't own the software. The software is on loan to you. You are leasing the software. The hardware won't run without the software smartguy.



    You don't own as much as you think you do. Try not paying property taxes on that house you paid for and see who owns it. Even better, try neglecting your kids and see if they don't get taken from you, the so called owner. You don't own #%#@!
  • Reply 117 of 167
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post


    -Context trigger words

    -can process natural human language



    You see what you did there?



    Well played
  • Reply 118 of 167
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    my guess is that Apple will release Siri via the App store in about 3 months for the iPhone 4 and 3G3.

    the cost will be somewhere between $39 and $59.



    they are just waiting for the 4s sales to level off.
  • Reply 119 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    We talk about science, the trolls make up fiction, so I guess that counts as Sci-Fi.



    Morlock I think would have been obvious to most, but I wasn't sure about Eloi.



    Top free book on the Apple Book Store I see, maybe you helped this?
  • Reply 120 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    Not trying to downplay it, but really both requests recognize a set of keywords and trigger related actions. "Remind" suggest work with the calendar, "when I get home" will trigger the reminder upon specific GPS coordinates. Similarly, "where is the closest" will read your current location, and "pub" will do an internet search for pubs around that location.



    I was referring to the hooks into the OS and apps as opposed to being a stand alone application for information retrieval.
Sign In or Register to comment.