Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words

Comments

• Reply 41 of 135
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    I slept in Father's room the night he passed away. Toward the end, I tried to match his breathing and realised that I couldn't. My experience seems quite similar to that of Steve's loved ones. My father however, was 91.

Life is seldom fair, we just have to do the best we can with what we are given.

Take care.
  • Reply 42 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

...I am not sad because we lost a wonderful, nice guy.

Who said he was a nice guy? He had a different approach to business. I think it was a better approach, with better outcomes, than the model espoused by the standard economic model.
  • Reply 43 of 135
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:

Wow some of you are just nucking futs over this guy. I just read the book. Sure he was smart, and he was a master of salemanship if there ever was one. In the field of computers he stood out easily amongst the Woz's and Gate's type nerds, which was not hard.

However, (if you read the book) he is not someone I would have been friends with. He shit all over lots of people and did it in a horrible way all the time. People die everyday and its sad, epecially if they were a good person. While I feel sorry for his family and bummed he wont be around to do more things, I am not sad because we lost a wonderful, nice guy.

Granted I agree he was ruthless in his past. When he was younger he was a very difficult man to please. I think that is what made him who he is. I also think that as the cancer kicked the liven crap out of him he was humbled. I honestly think that he became a better man because of it. Also I honestly think people loved him because of the products that were produced while he was in charge. He was unique but also he was like every other ass hole. He also was a caring man towards the end and was like every loving kind person at that time. The reminder of death will either cure an ass hole or break him. You decide.
  • Reply 44 of 135
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

I am not sad because we lost a wonderful, nice guy.

If you know Silicon Valley, then you know great things don't happen by being nice.
  • Reply 45 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by megalaser View Post

You are running a highly offensive google ad on the Steve Jobs last words page for a novelty gelatin brain mould. It's actually quite a repulsive and disgusting photo to have right next to an article on Steve Jobs passing, please remove it ASAP.

Google has a knack of placing disgusting ads next to related content.

I read a news article on a primary australian new provider, it was a item on a horrid murder etc of an older woman.

Google Ad right at the top of the article?

FIND HOT OLD WOMEN LOOKING FOR GOOD TIMES!

They are Fuckin vermin
  • Reply 46 of 135
    What surprises me is that for all the gossip about the "bad" Steve, we had to wait until he was gone before hearing about the human Steve. But on second thought, it's completely consistent with his lifestyle. He neither responded to the negative rap, nor publicized his positive side that we are just now learning about. The degree to which he kept his private life private is astounding. No spin, no leaks. Like any of us really, his life was filled with contradictions: old bathrooms and new boats.
  • Reply 47 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Google has a knack of placing disgusting ads next to related content.

I read a news article on a primary australian new provider, it was a item on a horrid murder etc of an older woman.

Google Ad right at the top of the article?

FIND HOT OLD WOMEN LOOKING FOR GOOD TIMES!

They are Fuckin vermin

It's not a person placing the ad. I don't see how that makes them vermin but then again they compete against Apple so any excuse to hate huh?
  • Reply 47 of 135
    Quote:

Wow some of you are just nucking futs over this guy. I just read the book. Sure he was smart, and he was a master of salemanship if there ever was one. In the field of computers he stood out easily amongst the Woz's and Gate's type nerds, which was not hard.

However, (if you read the book) he is not someone I would have been friends with. He shit all over lots of people and did it in a horrible way all the time. People die everyday and its sad, epecially if they were a good person. While I feel sorry for his family and bummed he wont be around to do more things, I am not sad because we lost a wonderful, nice guy.

Having been around him at NeXT and Apple it's clear you believe in weak willed folks who are used to being coddled and praised and never called when they create s***. I've never stomached egoists in any facet of life. They are ripe to being smacked down and served a huge slice of humble pie. Passion drove Steve in every endeavor. Most people truly are dead inside, or so dimly lit they can't handle when the one talent they possess is challenged. I've read so much fantasy about what an abominable personality Steve embodied I truly thought I was transported to a different Earth.

People I have never stomached are the likes of those who swim in insipid vats of false self-congratulatory masturbation for this or that achievement, when it truly is s***. I knew a lot of them in Engineering and they went to work at Microsoft or Google or other such second rate places to apply their skills. None of them were ever interviewed at NeXT or Apple.

While Microsoft was asking mental masturbatory questions like, ``If given an infinite amount of rope you stand at the Equator with a 20 foot drop and a 20 foot chasm across how would you get across the other side with no ladder?'' NeXT asked what your passions in life were and how it could be brought to work on doing something worth doing.

I had that question asked to me by the ex-Microsoft dweebs from Wild Tangent and they were stunned I answered, ``I would fill the chasm with the infinite amount of rope and walk across,'' because everyone but myself actually did answer by walking around the damn Earth. I made fun of such a stupid answer and the VP of Business Development [ex-Microsoft] didn't find it so amusing as he thought of it.

I couldn't help but tell him that's why he's at Wild Tangent in Business Development and not at Apple or any other place where Math and Physics would dictate you take the simplest path to solve a problem.

You don't create loyalty from every corporation he found and ran, to this day, by coddling the staff.

I missed our NeXT Reunion lamenting Steve and the history of NeXT, but I've been talking to them all via Facebook and LinkedIn. Forstall gave a great speech, from what I was told.

You can't talk unless you've been around people worthy of respect. Respect is earned, and Steve earned in spades.
  • Reply 49 of 135
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I think that's wrong that she shared his last words. Anyone's death shouldn't be told to people like that.
  • Reply 50 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having been around him at NeXT and Apple it's clear you believe in weak willed folks who are used to being coddled and praised and never called when they create s***. I've never stomached egoists in any facet of life. They are ripe to being smacked down and served a huge slice of humble pie. Passion drove Steve in every endeavor. Most people truly are dead inside, or so dimly lit they can't handle when the one talent they possess is challenged. I've read so much fantasy about what an abominable personality Steve embodied I truly thought I was transported to a different Earth.

People I have never stomached are the likes of those who swim in insipid vats of false self-congratulatory masturbation for this or that achievement, when it truly is s***. I knew a lot of them in Engineering and they went to work at Microsoft or Google or other such second rate places to apply their skills. None of them were ever interviewed at NeXT or Apple.

While Microsoft was asking mental masturbatory questions like, ``If given an infinite amount of rope you stand at the Equator with a 20 foot drop and a 20 foot chasm across how would you get across the other side with no ladder?'' NeXT asked what your passions in life were and how it could be brought to work on doing something worth doing.

I had that question asked to me by the ex-Microsoft dweebs from Wild Tangent and they were stunned I answered, ``I would fill the chasm with the infinite amount of rope and walk across,'' because everyone but myself actually did answer by walking around the damn Earth. I made fun of such a stupid answer and the VP of Business Development [ex-Microsoft] didn't find it so amusing as he thought of it.

I couldn't help but tell him that's why he's at Wild Tangent in Business Development and not at Apple or any other place where Math and Physics would dictate you take the simplest path to solve a problem.

You don't create loyalty from every corporation he found and ran, to this day, by coddling the staff.

I missed our NeXT Reunion lamenting Steve and the history of NeXT, but I've been talking to them all via Facebook and LinkedIn. Forstall gave a great speech, from what I was told.

You can't talk unless you've been around people worthy of respect. Respect is earned, and Steve earned in spades.

His issue probably stems more from the deification of Steve than the respect given to the man. For what he did, in his world, few are worthy of respect and none as much as he gets. However he was just a man. A flawed brilliant man whose passing lessens the innovation in the world and for all we know tech will slow again until the next great innovator arises from somewhere.
  • Reply 51 of 135
    q2hq2h Posts: 18member
    It's said that in near death experiences and before you die that your body gives you a good dose of DMT. Chances are Steve was tripping balls in his last moment that led him to say OH WOW. Anyone who's tripped on DMT can confirm that it's a total OH WOW experience. Just google Joe Rogan DMT and listen to his experience, for example. I wouldn't hold out for the whole God thing. At least not in the sense of an old man with a white beard. On the other hand, it's your trip so if that's what you've been expecting, then you may very well manifest it.

Don't take my word for it, read yourselves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine

There's a reason why the most commonly found substance in tons of plants and all of us is illegal, and it's most likely not the one the typical square is thinking.
  • Reply 52 of 135
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

My mom pretty much had the same expression when she was dying. She said briefly how incredible it was, looking off into space. I hope God took that sweet, faithful man home.

Oh come on, give it a rest. There's no need to spoil a nice moment with childish rubbish.

We're all just machines and when the electricity stops in our brains, we no longer exist. Steve was no different.
  • Reply 53 of 135
    His death was a tragedy and very sad for him to go so early, I will admit that. Don't you kind of find it odd that he started his brilliant career at such a young age and that he would go out at such a young age? I believe the book was already written a long time ago.

I do think that we should be expressing our warm hearts to other people who have passed so unfairly as well. What about the father who worked 3 jobs to keep the family fed and clothed? The sacrifices that some make everyday to make others happy is enormous. We all have a lot of love in our hearts, I think we should start showing it to other "normal" folks that we know. I will respect the man that serves to the poor at the food shelter a lot more than a man who got rich with our money by making computers. We all have our opinions, that's what makes this country so wonderful.
  • Reply 54 of 135
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    The full article on the NYT website is more detailed that the Appleinsider version. Just read it in full and I personally regret reading it because it's probably a little too much detailed
  • Reply 55 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

I really had to distract myself while reading this to prevent myself from crying.

Do you also have to distract yourself from laughing when you read something funny?

And what a load of nasty posts on here. This new feature mentioned by The Onion can't come soon enough: http://www.theonion.com/articles/new...-moroni,26393/
  • Reply 56 of 135
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

It's why I hate it when sites like PC Mag, eWeek, ZDNET, CNET and their likes write about this. Their commenters are full of cold, heartless, immature people who can't for once in their life, leave the hate and immaturity and pay respects to an amazing person.

That is why blogs that are not moderated are futile these days on any topic. AI does a pretty good job but most are pointless due to idiotic posts.
  • Reply 57 of 135
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

He was apparently alert at the end. Imminent death is unknown territory for the living. I really don't think it was appropriate for her to share that publicly.

Why not? And don't you think that his sister and family are better able to determine what is appropriate than you are?
  • Reply 58 of 135
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I think that's wrong that she shared his last words. Anyone's death shouldn't be told to people like that.

She's his sister, and they were obviously close. I think she had every right to do so. Besides, she and his wife have much more insight into this matter than any of us.

Not to mention, just about every detail of Steve's life has been written about in the biography (which was authorized by him), every news organization has commented on his life/death to great length. Why should his own sister recalling his death be any different?
  • Reply 59 of 135
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I am sure the family shared this because they knew so many of us have felt a loss that was beyond the norm for a person we never or rarely met. I was so emotionally distraught over Steve's death it simply amazed me. I thank the family for thinking of those like me that felt this way and sharing this wonderful eulogy. It meant a great deal to me.
  • Reply 60 of 135
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Why did he say that?

And children of other fathers are dont have it hard?

Did I say that? You're looking for an excuse to come down on someone. Go knock on another door.