Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words

Comments

• Reply 81 of 135
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

OH WOW is not a carefully considered response. He could have been at a top of a scary roller coaster about to descend, or he could have been blinded by light. I guess we'll find out at some point.

We will not find out at any point unless a worldwide search is made for the baby which is Steve's reincarnation. Even then, it would depend on the baby's ability to remember past lives, which will take a lot of work, mostly meditation.

AFAIK, given his rejection of Jesus Christ as his Personal Saviour, he will not be welcome at the right hand of God in the Kingdom of Heaven. Not unless he repented of his sins at some point before his death and accepted Jesus, that is.

It is very sad that with all the good Christians in his life, none of them were able to save his soul, as far as any of us are aware.
  • Reply 82 of 135
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

AFAIK, given his rejection of Jesus Christ as his Personal Saviour, he will not be welcome at the right hand of God in the Kingdom of Heaven. Not unless he repented of his sins at some point before his death and accepted Jesus, that is.

It is very sad that with all the good Christians in his life, none of them were able to save his soul, as far as any of us are aware.

For some that shit is the truth for others it is made up.

But we all die, at which point we may find out what that moment is. I guess it depends on how we die, but I'd like to think it will have an OH WOW moment.
  • Reply 83 of 135
    Quote:

For some that shit is the truth for others it is made up.

For Steve, with his RDF, any shit he made up could be the truth.

We'll remember you Steve. RIP.
  • Reply 84 of 135
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am sure the family shared this because they knew so many of us have felt a loss that was beyond the norm for a person we never or rarely met. I was so emotionally distraught over Steve's death it simply amazed me. I thank the family for thinking of those like me that felt this way and sharing this wonderful eulogy. It meant a great deal to me.

It means a lot to me also. It's insanely great that the brother and sister connected so well, that she is an accomplished writer who could could put this into words so well, and that the family cared enough about the community created by Steve that they let these very private details out. And it's reassuring to know that one of the great minds of our time had an "oh wow" experience at his death. Thank you, Mona, and everybody who was in on this decision to publish.
  • Reply 85 of 135
    It amazes me how we tend to see ambiguity as an insult to our sense of order and meaning. No one can know what meaning those final utterances had to Steve before he lapsed into unconsciousness. Yet, many here have attached specific meaning to them, meanings that say more about the poster than anything Steve may or may not have been reacting to.

Let the mystery be.
  • Reply 86 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Why did he say that?

He was probably envisioning the tunnelling effect.

Its a natural process that people misinterpret as "getting close to God."

In reality, the blood in the eye sockets compress on the retina from the sides creating a "tunnel" effect. Many people interpret this as the "light at the end of the tunnel" = God awaiting them.

And children of other fathers are dont have it hard?

New to our planet?
  • Reply 87 of 135
    Quote:

His last words were at once beautiful and freaky. Beautiful because he probably saw and experienced something awe inspiring. And freaky because we don't know what that was. OH WOW is not a carefully considered response. He could have been at a top of a scary roller coaster about to descend, or he could have been blinded by light. I guess we'll find out at some point.

Steve's last vision was a glimpse of the future... he saw Page and Brin cutting and raking Larry Ellison's lawn...
  • Reply 88 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Why did he say that?

In reality, the blood in the eye sockets compress on the retina from the sides creating a "tunnel" effect. Many people interpret this as the "light at the end of the tunnel" = God awaiting them.

Lets hope the doctors explained that to Job's family as he was passing¡
  • Reply 89 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AI, I think you demean the site, its serious members, SJ's memory, and his family by still allowing all the utterly disgusting posts to remain in this thread.

I truly hope you guys will clean it up. Please.

I'd also like to know what the hell is going on at AI... there is one comment for sure that should have disappeared a long time ago... but still nothing. Weird... this place is definitely going for a crap...
  • Reply 90 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'd also like to know what the hell is going on at AI... there is one comment for sure that should have disappeared a long time ago... but still nothing. Weird... this place is definitely going for a crap...

I'd like to disappear comments from those who don't know how to use an ellipse.

Are you with me???
  • Reply 91 of 135
    Quote:

I have no problem with offensive posts being removed but on the other hand we should just ignore them. Obnoxious posters are best left alone. Their posts show them for what they are and no further comment is needed. There are a lot of borderline posts from intelligent people but those are OK imo. The directly abusive that clearly lack intelligence are easily detected and by-passed.
  • Reply 92 of 135
    Quote:

Steve's last vision was a glimpse of the future... he saw Page and Brin cutting and raking Larry Ellison's lawn...

funny
  • Reply 93 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having been around him at NeXT and Apple it's clear you believe in weak willed folks who are used to being coddled and praised and never called when they create s***. I've never stomached egoists in any facet of life. They are ripe to being smacked down and served a huge slice of humble pie. Passion drove Steve in every endeavor. Most people truly are dead inside, or so dimly lit they can't handle when the one talent they possess is challenged. I've read so much fantasy about what an abominable personality Steve embodied I truly thought I was transported to a different Earth.

People I have never stomached are the likes of those who swim in insipid vats of false self-congratulatory masturbation for this or that achievement, when it truly is s***. I knew a lot of them in Engineering and they went to work at Microsoft or Google or other such second rate places to apply their skills. None of them were ever interviewed at NeXT or Apple.

While Microsoft was asking mental masturbatory questions like, ``If given an infinite amount of rope you stand at the Equator with a 20 foot drop and a 20 foot chasm across how would you get across the other side with no ladder?'' NeXT asked what your passions in life were and how it could be brought to work on doing something worth doing.

I had that question asked to me by the ex-Microsoft dweebs from Wild Tangent and they were stunned I answered, ``I would fill the chasm with the infinite amount of rope and walk across,'' because everyone but myself actually did answer by walking around the damn Earth. I made fun of such a stupid answer and the VP of Business Development [ex-Microsoft] didn't find it so amusing as he thought of it.

I couldn't help but tell him that's why he's at Wild Tangent in Business Development and not at Apple or any other place where Math and Physics would dictate you take the simplest path to solve a problem.

You don't create loyalty from every corporation he found and ran, to this day, by coddling the staff.

I missed our NeXT Reunion lamenting Steve and the history of NeXT, but I've been talking to them all via Facebook and LinkedIn. Forstall gave a great speech, from what I was told.

You can't talk unless you've been around people worthy of respect. Respect is earned, and Steve earned in spades.

Thank you for posting this.
  • Reply 94 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh come on, give it a rest. There's no need to spoil a nice moment with childish rubbish.

We're all just machines and when the electricity stops in our brains, we no longer exist. Steve was no different.

Interesting that you think that, but since we are talking about Steve and not you, perhaps you shouldn't try so hard to foist your view on everyone.

By the way, all accounts indicate that Steve was an intensely spiritual man. Not necessarily a believer in God (although by his own account he put the odds more at 50 / 50), but Steve certainly believed in the power of the spirit, and he absolutely believed there was something else out there beyond our mere flesh.

So, who's more off-base when talking about Steve's passing - the one who errs on the side of the deeply spiritual, or the one who shouts them down for not being coldly mechanical?

Steve's entire life is testimony to the idea that our technologies, and ourselves, can and should rise beyond the coldly calculated and into a realm that is inspired by beauty and seeking beyond ourselves for something greater. If we are all just machines, then there is no greater to which we may attain.

Fom every account I've ever read of him, Steve himself would have rejected the philosophy you are espousing. So what makes you 'in the right', exactly?
  • Reply 95 of 135
    [QUOTE]
    Quote:

Why did he say that?

Not that you could possibly know this (whether or not a misinterpretation).
  • Reply 96 of 135
    Quote:

I have no problem with offensive posts being removed but on the other hand we should just ignore them. Obnoxious posters are best left alone. Their posts show them for what they are and no further comment is needed. There are a lot of borderline posts from intelligent people but those are OK imo. The directly abusive that clearly lack intelligence are easily detected and by-passed.

Isn't it funny when the abusers know exactly who you are talking about even if you don't mention them by name or by post...
  • Reply 97 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

you believe in weak willed folks

never called when they create s***.

smacked down and served a huge slice of humble pie.

Most people truly are dead inside

an abominable personality Steve embodied

People I have never stomached

insipid vats of false self-congratulatory masturbation

that achievement, when it truly is s***.

mental masturbatory questions

dweebs from Wild Tangent

I made fun of such a stupid answer

Mods -

How can we get rid of this sort of poster?

• Reply 98 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Recounting the manner in which Jobs approached death, Simpson said "what he was, was how he died." According to her, "death didn?t happen to Steve, he achieved it

Does this mean we all achieve death since that is the end we all must meet instead of it just happening? "Achieving" death is a pretty easy achievement. Sorry no body "achieves" death. It is a given. But how to achieve life after death is the real achievement, which, unfortunately, Steve Jobs did not achieve.

In regards to the "OH WOW"s... he definitely loved his family. Couldnt have picked a better phrase to describe one's family.
  • Reply 99 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by q2h View Post

It's said that in near death experiences and before you die that your body gives you a good dose of DMT. Chances are Steve was tripping balls in his last momen

From what I have heard, Steve had long abused illegal and dangerous drugs. Indeed, I have heard that he even advocated drug abuse by other people. Very sad.
  • Reply 100 of 135
    Quote:

Mods - How can we get rid of this sort of poster?

The same way they didn't get rid of you: Reporting the post with the little exclamation mark in the bottom left.

Quote:

From what I have heard, Steve has long used illegal and dangerous drugs. Indeed, I have heard that he even advocated drug use by other people. Very sad.

LSD wasn't illegal when Steve's reported to have taken it. Dangerous, though? Probably.