hot spot

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How dose the hot spot on iphones preform? (AT&T) thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    As well as your local cellular data service.

That's really the only answer there is.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balldome View Post

How dose the hot spot on iphones preform? (AT&T) thanks

It depends on your provider you use like Verizon or others.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

It depends on your provider you use like Verizon or others.

We use AT&T. Another question how many devices can be used and I would think that would slow down the internet.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balldome View Post

We use AT&T.

Refer to my first post in this thread.

Quote:

Another question how many devices can be used

Five.

Quote:

and I would think that would slow down the internet.

Obviously.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    I have one from Verizon that works quite well in NY and in Seattle---it all depends on where you are and how stong the signal is at that location.---It is certainly not as fast as cable, but it is far better than 3G.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

I have one from Verizon that works quite well in NY and in Seattle---it all depends on where you are and how stong the signal is at that location.---It is certainly not as fast as cable, but it is far better than 3G.

The connection from the internet to your phone is still as fast as it ever was at that location. But when you use your (i)phones' wireless hotspot technology the internet signal also has to travel from your phone to your laptop or desktop machine. The speed of that connection is the bottleneck. It determines your internet speed experience on your laptop or desktop machine. Phones' wireless hotspot technology is faster than 3G and USB1, but slower than cable/adsl.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Achim View Post

The speed of that connection is the bottleneck.

Not in the slightest. The minimum cap you have for that is 54 megabits per second. With the iPhone 4S, it's 540 megabits per second.

The fastest 3G service you can have doesn't even come close to HALF of the former.