Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words

Comments

• Reply 101 of 135
    I have not see the movie Star Trek Generation in years, but isn't that what Captain Kirk said when he died ("Oh wow")? Maybe Jobs was a fan of Star Trek as alot of Apple stuff is similar Star Trek.
  • Reply 102 of 135
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

And Santa Claus was with them!

Thanks for mocking. I'll remember that whenever you have anything sincere to say. Seriously, the family member was one of the best doctors of the time and had a brilliant mind. The experience was not contrived. But anyway, sorry, pearls swine thing. I forgot.
  • Reply 103 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MustSeeHDTV View Post

I have not see the movie Star Trek Generation in years, but isn't that what Captain Kirk said when he died ("Oh wow")? Maybe Jobs was a fan of Star Trek as alot of Apple stuff is similar Star Trek.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain James T. Kirk

"Oh, my…" *no sense of wonderment, no emphasis at all, really*

The last thing you ever say wouldn't be a movie quote nor inspired by one. Come off it.
  • Reply 104 of 135
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having been around him at NeXT and Apple it's clear you believe in weak willed folks who are used to being coddled and praised and never called when they create s***. I've never stomached egoists in any facet of life. They are ripe to being smacked down and served a huge slice of humble pie. Passion drove Steve in every endeavor. Most people truly are dead inside, or so dimly lit they can't handle when the one talent they possess is challenged. I've read so much fantasy about what an abominable personality Steve embodied I truly thought I was transported to a different Earth.

People I have never stomached are the likes of those who swim in insipid vats of false self-congratulatory masturbation for this or that achievement, when it truly is s***. I knew a lot of them in Engineering and they went to work at Microsoft or Google or other such second rate places to apply their skills. None of them were ever interviewed at NeXT or Apple.

While Microsoft was asking mental masturbatory questions like, ``If given an infinite amount of rope you stand at the Equator with a 20 foot drop and a 20 foot chasm across how would you get across the other side with no ladder?'' NeXT asked what your passions in life were and how it could be brought to work on doing something worth doing.

I had that question asked to me by the ex-Microsoft dweebs from Wild Tangent and they were stunned I answered, ``I would fill the chasm with the infinite amount of rope and walk across,'' because everyone but myself actually did answer by walking around the damn Earth. I made fun of such a stupid answer and the VP of Business Development [ex-Microsoft] didn't find it so amusing as he thought of it.

I couldn't help but tell him that's why he's at Wild Tangent in Business Development and not at Apple or any other place where Math and Physics would dictate you take the simplest path to solve a problem.

You don't create loyalty from every corporation he found and ran, to this day, by coddling the staff.

I missed our NeXT Reunion lamenting Steve and the history of NeXT, but I've been talking to them all via Facebook and LinkedIn. Forstall gave a great speech, from what I was told.

You can't talk unless you've been around people worthy of respect. Respect is earned, and Steve earned in spades.

Thanks for the inside look at the man and his company.
  • Reply 105 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I think that's wrong that she shared his last words. Anyone's death shouldn't be told to people like that.

You mean it should be a private family moment? The thought has crossed my mind. However, this doesn't come from tabloid source or rumor, but from Steve's very own beloved sister. She wanted us to know. I don't feel that she revealed that moment out of insensitivity or disregard for Steve's wishes, but to humanize and affirm her brother in that last moment of lucidness. *heavy sigh*
  • Reply 106 of 135
    Quote:

No and no. And that movie was awful.

People's interpretation of Steve's last words reaveals nothing about Steve; only he understands their meaning. Our speculation only reveals our own individual biases.
  • Reply 107 of 135
    we always reincarnate in our own family group, so, steve will be back as some of the future children of steve's children. That's the way it is for we all.

The acquired knowledge from every life (everything we have learnt and done) are no lost, It's recorded in our akashik records. So, you could expect great things from future generations of the Job's family.

Nothing is lost, he's not gone, just evolved into another state of existance, our REAL state of existance.

• Reply 108 of 135
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Isn't it funny when the abusers know exactly who you are talking about even if you don't mention them by name or by post...

Not sure what you mean but I get a sense you think I meant you. Did you? surely not? Because I didn't.

But the others know, of course. The posters who are being abusive, who troll and who's responses are particularly venomous know who they are. A lot of them live over at cnet, I think.
  • Reply 109 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

Perhaps the most successful business leaders in the modern age was driven by love and beauty.

We have a highly dysfunctional global economy driven by short sighted selfishness and money grubbing greed. The byproducts of this dysfunction are deep and wide. We should be moving rapidly into the Space Age, but we are stuck with things like perpetual war, mass starvation and extinction, irreparable toxicity contaminating the deepest caves and the highest clouds, entrenched servitude to the working class lifestyle, and slowly building climate change.

But the conventional wisdom is that the profit motive, selfishness, greed, are the things that will drive the best economic outcome.

How ironic, and profound.

Hopefully over time Steve Jobs will be studied not as a technologist, but as a business leader who saw that the bigger picture is not a dream for hippies, but is integral to achieving true positive outcomes.

sigh

Very well thought out and written. I agree compeletely. If this forum software wasn't quite so antiquated I would upvote.
  • Reply 110 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No and no. And that movie was awful.

People's interpretation of Steve's last words reaveals nothing about Steve; only he understands their meaning. Our speculation only reveals our own individual biases.

Thanks for the correction (and Tallest Skil too). I only saw (like you said awful) movie like once or twice (at least 10 years ago since the last time). Jobs seemed similar to me which is why I asked.
  • Reply 111 of 135
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

She's his sister, and they were obviously close. I think she had every right to do so. Besides, she and his wife have much more insight into this matter than any of us.

Not to mention, just about every detail of Steve's life has been written about in the biography (which was authorized by him), every news organization has commented on his life/death to great length. Why should his own sister recalling his death be any different?

I have no problems with his sister's decision to share. But it's quite telling that Laurene Powell has been personally silent. We only hear second hand stories of her feelings.

I also profoundly disagree about one thing you wrote. The biography does not come close to sharing every detail of Jobs's life. In fact, it has huge gaps. The first half rehashes details already known from other accounts. It appears that neither Jobs nor Powell really shared as much with Isaacson as he had let on.
  • Reply 112 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Not sure what you mean but I get a sense you think I meant you. Did you? surely not? Because I didn't.

But the others know, of course. The posters who are being abusive, who troll and who's responses are particularly venomous know who they are. A lot of them live over at cnet, I think.

No no... not you... the other person who responded to my comment.

The same person who made the most abusive comment in this thread.
  • Reply 113 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having been around him at NeXT and Apple it's clear you believe in weak willed folks who are used to being coddled and praised and never called when they create s***. I've never stomached egoists in any facet of life. They are ripe to being smacked down and served a huge slice of humble pie. Passion drove Steve in every endeavor. Most people truly are dead inside, or so dimly lit they can't handle when the one talent they possess is challenged. I've read so much fantasy about what an abominable personality Steve embodied I truly thought I was transported to a different Earth.

People I have never stomached are the likes of those who swim in insipid vats of false self-congratulatory masturbation for this or that achievement, when it truly is s***. I knew a lot of them in Engineering and they went to work at Microsoft or Google or other such second rate places to apply their skills. None of them were ever interviewed at NeXT or Apple.

While Microsoft was asking mental masturbatory questions like, ``If given an infinite amount of rope you stand at the Equator with a 20 foot drop and a 20 foot chasm across how would you get across the other side with no ladder?'' NeXT asked what your passions in life were and how it could be brought to work on doing something worth doing.

I had that question asked to me by the ex-Microsoft dweebs from Wild Tangent and they were stunned I answered, ``I would fill the chasm with the infinite amount of rope and walk across,'' because everyone but myself actually did answer by walking around the damn Earth. I made fun of such a stupid answer and the VP of Business Development [ex-Microsoft] didn't find it so amusing as he thought of it.

I couldn't help but tell him that's why he's at Wild Tangent in Business Development and not at Apple or any other place where Math and Physics would dictate you take the simplest path to solve a problem.

You don't create loyalty from every corporation he found and ran, to this day, by coddling the staff.

I missed our NeXT Reunion lamenting Steve and the history of NeXT, but I've been talking to them all via Facebook and LinkedIn. Forstall gave a great speech, from what I was told.

You can't talk unless you've been around people worthy of respect. Respect is earned, and Steve earned in spades.

And yet after reading the book you get the feeling he respected very few people if anyone. There have been very successful people in life that did not treat people like garbage. Push them, lead them, inspire them, but you don't have to shit on them....and from what I read on a daily basis.
  • Reply 114 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Why did he say that?

Because "Rosebud" was already taken.

Seriously, despite your 'logical' rationale, I think Steve may have in his last moments encountered something Insanely Great.
  • Reply 115 of 135
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

... it's quite telling that Laurene Powell has been personally silent. We only hear second hand stories of her feelings.

No it isn't. She is his widow and owes no one - you and me included - any explanation. If she ever decides if or when to share her memories and feelings, she has the right to do that in her own good time. Or not.
  • Reply 116 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

And yet after reading the book you get the feeling he respected very few people if anyone. There have been very successful people in life that did not treat people like garbage. Push them, lead them, inspire them, but you don't have to shit on them....and from what I read on a daily basis.

Funny how a guy who supposedly respected so few people could get people to be so loyal to him.

Ive - been around Apple since before Steve reappeared

Forstall - a Next employee

Oppenheimer - joined Apple in 1996

Schiller - 17 years at Apple

Cue - 22 years at Apple

Cook - 13 years at Apple

Mansfield - 12 years

Johnson - 11 years

Williams - 13 years

All guys who reported directly to Steve. It must have been awful for them. \
  • Reply 117 of 135
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:

It's funny but I've found that many people post in forums only because it's too difficult to Google up the answers (don't fret, I've done that too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TtMEcZk3AE

Kirk said, "Oh my" one time and then died.

But I agree with others here that a movie would most likely NOT serve as the inspiration for someone's final "death words." And I believe that to be true of Steve Jobs, ven though it can be said he was truly "unique among men."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

AFAIK, given his rejection of Jesus Christ as his Personal Saviour, he will not be welcome at the right hand of God in the Kingdom of Heaven. Not unless he repented of his sins at some point before his death and accepted Jesus, that is.

It is very sad that with all the good Christians in his life, none of them were able to save his soul, as far as any of us are aware.

Perhaps you meant to say "no Christian shared the Gospel with Mr. Jobs," seeing that Christians save no one of their own power. Biblically speaking, salvation comes through a heart changed by the Holy Spirit.

But it cannot be said he had no exposure to Christianity or that he was never given the opportunity to know its teachings. The recently released biography states that Jobs had been in church up until about age 13:

"He rejected the religion at the age of 13, the book reveals, after seeing starving children on the cover of Life magazine. After asking his pastor if God knew about those children, he never went back to church. He studied Zen Buddhism later in life."

But it's also interesting to read how being faced with death changes (however slightly) even the most hardcore among men:

Walter Isaacson, Jobs? official biographer, told CNN: ?I remember sitting in his backyard in his garden one day and he started talking about God. He said, ?Sometimes I believe in God, sometimes I don?t. I think it?s 50-50 maybe?.?

As to what Mr. Jobs saw when he died after having moved his eyes across his family, we cannot know. Perhaps the cold and dry scientific explanations do have some merit. Maybe he did see a light at the end of a tunnel that wasn't really there. But the real question is, what does one see after he opens his eyes in the next life? If one accepts the Biblical explanation, it isn't a happy ending for everyone:

"And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom." ?Luke 16:23

When I was attending engineering school in the early 1990's, a college friend of mine who was not a Christian often expressed much contempt for the faith, citing numerous historical reasons. One day the topic of "the Bible" came up and he quipped, "I hate that book." I then asked if he had ever read it, to which he replied, "No, but I intend to some day."

Whether one has faith or lack thereof, it would do one well to first examine a matter before utterly rejecting it. We cannot know, unfortunately, what that preacher said to Steve Jobs about the starving children on the cover of Life magazine, but it would appear that Jobs made his decision after being properly informed about Christianity, as well as Buddhism and other faiths too. But regardless of what Mr. Jobs may have decided for himself, we must make our own choices on what we will accept or reject. And if there is a life hereafter (which I think there is), our decisions here will have an impact on what comes NeXT.

For now all of us here are still among the living, and our eyes are closely transfixed on what accomplishments Steve Jobs made in his life which have touched each of us in numerous ways.
  • Reply 118 of 135
    Some people wish to die in their sleep.

How could you want to miss a once-in-a-lifetime experience?
  • Reply 119 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I have no problems with his sister's decision to share. But it's quite telling that Laurene Powell has been personally silent.

It doesn't seem to be telling me anything. What do you believe it tells?
  • Reply 120 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

AFAIK, given his rejection of Jesus Christ as his Personal Saviour, he will not be welcome at the right hand of God in the Kingdom of Heaven. Not unless he repented of his sins at some point before his death and accepted Jesus, that is.

The fact that Christianity and Islam teach that men like Steve Jobs, Einstein, Edison and the great majority of scientists, engineers, artists, innovators, not to mention billions of good decent humans will be tortured forever by an insanely unjust and sadistic god is clear proof that these religions have been misleading mankind for centuries.

I predict that the last words of Steve Jobs will become the most famous of last words. What was that vision that drew his intense, final gaze away from the wife and children he loved so very deeply and made this lover of beauty and perfection exclaim: OH WOW...OH WOW...OH WOW???

That was a deathbed scene for the ages.