Apple retail chief Ron Johnson officially departs with no replacement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

You're still locked in the Steve Jobs reality distortion field- even POST death.

The distortion field never existed...., it was the semantics of people taken by mental diarrhea, never accepting the diversity of products.......
  • Reply 22 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lorca2770 View Post

The distortion field never existed...., it was the semantics of people taken by mental diarrhea, never accepting the diversity of products.......

Cool, a new one. Come in, make yourself at home. Heaven knows we don't ban the blatant trolls anymore, so you may as well become part of the community.

Quote:

You're still locked in the Steve Jobs reality distortion field- even POST death.

No, I just know stupid crap when I see it.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

against cancer surgery

Ok, that was terrible... but I seriously wonder how many good things are going to happen now that Jobs is gone? He had great vision for creating awesome products, but he could also oppose great/common sense ideas with a religious fervor.

i still remember the early 2009 Tim Cook time. apple opened up and when SJ came back before WWDC he started to lock it down again. all kinds of nonsense like no other development tools to code iOS apps
  • Reply 24 of 73
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    The guy was offered the CEO position in a major national retail chain. I think there is nothing that Apple could have done to keep him.

Considering JC Penney's customer demographic, I don't expect them to start looking like Apple Stores with Ron Jonson as CEO. Or even like Target. But, given his track record, I'm a little excited to see what he can do to light a fire under JCP's retail strategy.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

HOPEFULLY:

1.) An option to turn on/off Flash for iOS

2.) Matte screens on iMacs

3.) Blu-ray support

5.) HDMI on all Macs

6.) Safari and apps on ATV.

7.) End of keynotes - only self serving to the master showman. A disaster without him.

8.) More Woz.

I'd love to see Woz on an Apple advert. "Hi I'm Woz, thirty years ago my friend Steve and I started this company in his dad's garage. . . "

Let's see a keynote first where Steve's imminent demise isn't looming over all the presenters' heads then we can decide if it's still a disaster. Okay?

Flash is on its way out.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

HOPEFULLY:

8.) More Woz.

That is brilliant.

They could market the company to the faithful as the "old" Apple, the one you fell in love with. Not the giant ruthless multi-national that Apple has become, but rather, the warm and fuzzy nerd-village Apple of yore.

Brilliant.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, I just know stupid crap when I see it.

Great- you're very OWN distortion field - you can see something that hasn't even existed yet.

What else does your crystal ball foretell besides your troll watching?
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I'd love to see Woz on an Apple advert. "Hi I'm Woz, thirty years ago my friend Steve and I started this company in his dad's garage. . . "

Brilliant.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

OK, here's for the US, year ending Q3 2011.

Retail sales per Sq. Ft.

Worldwide is probably not much difference.

We can each guess about worldwide. But Europe and Japan have very successful retailers too.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

has steve jobs been for any awesome idea at apple in the last 10 years?

against a Windows ipod

against iphone apps

against the genius bar

Or how many times he saved Apple from making something stupid. You can't be always right, but in a debate with logic and common sense, by backing up your argument with facts and other numbers you can make something. That is what Apple does.

There is no all knowing person, even Steve wasn't.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Ron Johnson leaving Apple is a huge black eye to Apple. This is the beginning of the end. Welcome to post-Steve Apple.

Jony Ive will be carrying the Steve Jobs torch and will do very well.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:

Great- you're very OWN distortion field - you can see something that hasn't even existed yet.

What else does your crystal ball foretell besides your troll watching?

That you're not qualified to second guess the decisions or direction of the most successful CE company on the planet. They've done fine without you so far.........and so would we.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

We can each guess about worldwide. But Europe and Japan have very successful retailers too.

The biography only quotes Steve as saying the 5th Ave. store in NYC as having the highest gross per square foot anywhere in the world. It sure helps when you're selling $2,000 laptops and iMacs and $200-$400 phones all day long.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Isn't this a wonderful thread.

A fellow who has completed his job, is number 3 or 4 or maybe even 5 at Apple decides, while Steve is still at the helm, to leave Apple so that he can become number one at a retail chain that is faltering, so that he can once again use his full capabilities... and get paid even more than the salary given to him at Apple.

... but some how or other this is the beginning of the end for Apple.

Wonderful wonderful thread.

Carry on.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

You might be jumping the gun a little. Considering how profitable Apple is these days and how high-profile they are, they will attract the best of the best applicants to fill the role.

Of course. But so far, they have found exactly nobody to fill the role.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

That you're not qualified to second guess the decisions or direction of the most successful CE company on the planet. They've done fine without you so far.........and so would we.

Right and Sony was once "the most successful CE company on the planet" too.

Perhaps you should stick to your Dick printing.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Too constrained? WTF does that even mean?

I suspect that they are talking about how in 99% of their stores in the US there's not enough room for more than perhaps 40 people to be in the store at a time but traffic requires more like 100. THere's no place for their personal training and workshops to be held and heard due to the noise. There's always packs of folks waiting for the Genius Bar with no place to put them.

And in most stores the staff has to leave the store and go to some back hallway space to get to their offsite break room cause there's no room for it inside the store.

An ideal Apple Store actually doesn't need to change the sales layout that much. Spread it out for better walk ways that are actually wheelchair accessible even when you have people at the 'stations' on both sides perhaps but the basic layout could stay. The whole packs of folks and noise could be solved by just buying the space next door and punching out a door. Or even put up a noise proof class wall. Make that the 'family room' with the Genius Bar in back with some stools etc for folks to wait, in the front half put the training and project tables as well as a workshop area with a 6-8 seating table positioned across the front so you can use it for hands on or put a big 40 inch screen along the side and chairs for presentation workshops. All with the sales noise missing. THe sales zone could spread to the old family room or even split the difference. Move the genius bar up to where those personal training tables are now and use it for express sales and pre paid pickups. They could cut those set up tables in half given that they are typically just folks playing on Facebook or waiting for their bar appointment. So yank those and put the old 4 seat training tables there. THe kids are all playing with the iPads now so that table is also pointless and could be removed.

The only Genius bar etc space could be shifted to be part of the back so there could be more room for repair spaces, data transfers, employee training, managers actually getting an office so calls to customers that should be private can be private (I hear in most stores its totally not). The phone operators could have a little cubicle rather than just grabbing any phone they can reach as I hear happens at many stores. And the break rooms could come back into the stores.

Something like that could cause a lot of the complaints to go away.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I suspect that they are talking about how in 99% of their stores in the US there's not enough room for more than perhaps 40 people to be in the store at a time but traffic requires more like 100. THere's no place for their personal training and workshops to be held and heard due to the noise. There's always packs of folks waiting for the Genius Bar with no place to put them.

And in most stores the staff has to leave the store and go to some back hallway space to get to their offsite break room cause there's no room for it inside the store.

An ideal Apple Store actually doesn't need to change the sales layout that much. Spread it out for better walk ways that are actually wheelchair accessible even when you have people at the 'stations' on both sides perhaps but the basic layout could stay. The whole packs of folks and noise could be solved by just buying the space next door and punching out a door. Or even put up a noise proof class wall. Make that the 'family room' with the Genius Bar in back with some stools etc for folks to wait, in the front half put the training and project tables as well as a workshop area with a 6-8 seating table positioned across the front so you can use it for hands on or put a big 40 inch screen along the side and chairs for presentation workshops. All with the sales noise missing. THe sales zone could spread to the old family room or even split the difference. Move the genius bar up to where those personal training tables are now and use it for express sales and pre paid pickups. They could cut those set up tables in half given that they are typically just folks playing on Facebook or waiting for their bar appointment. So yank those and put the old 4 seat training tables there. THe kids are all playing with the iPads now so that table is also pointless and could be removed.

The only Genius bar etc space could be shifted to be part of the back so there could be more room for repair spaces, data transfers, employee training, managers actually getting an office so calls to customers that should be private can be private (I hear in most stores its totally not). The phone operators could have a little cubicle rather than just grabbing any phone they can reach as I hear happens at many stores. And the break rooms could come back into the stores.

Something like that could cause a lot of the complaints to go away.

Well if we had products that just worked we wouldn't have seen this massive increase in Genius bar appointments. How much of this is Lion related?- perhaps the worst ever Mac OS.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

has steve jobs been for any awesome idea at apple in the last 10 years?

against a Windows ipod

against iphone apps

against the genius bar

And yet, clearly Steve did end up supporting them, as he was the ultimate authority at Apple. It wasn't a democracy.

Perhaps because he was initially opposed forced the team to refine the idea and make it better. Saying no can be a powerful motivator.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

And yet, clearly Steve did end up supporting them, as he was the ultimate authority at Apple. It wasn't a democracy.

Perhaps because he was initially opposed forced the team to refine the idea and make it better. Saying no can be a powerful motivator.

As opposed to "Yes we Can!"?