New Mac OS X Trojan horse spies, steals and requisitions GPU for Bitcoin mining

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

None, just that the UI has remained stuck in 1995 and there are several other programs in the world now with modern functional UIs that do 90%+ of GC's job.

I'm sure there are some very esoteric conversions GC does that aren't available in other programs, but I haven't needed to touch it to actually use it since 2004. The installs and run to check since then have only shown me that I haven't been missing anything.

So you have not used the application in seven years? It might surprise you to learn that one year after you dropped it, Apple bundled GraphicConverter with many of its computers including the Power Mac G5 that I am using to post this. With GC 7.0, Lemkesoft changed the UI. Quite frankly, I like the UI of GC much better than the UI of Adobe's competing application.

We are all entitled to our opinions. We don't have to like or use the application to respect its developer. Lemkesoft has been one of the great Mac developers. Its two flagship application, CADintosh and GraphicConverter are Mac-only. Certainly in the case of GC, it gets frequent tweaks and updates. It is fully functional with paying the license fee. However, if you pay the license fee, then you are set for years with free updates until you need to pay again. You don't have to like GC, but you should respect it and its developer, Lemkesoft.

And did I say that GC works? Well, GC works and works well.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

So you have not used the application in seven years? It might surprise you to learn that one year after you dropped it, Apple bundled GraphicConverter with many of its computers including the Power Mac G5 that I am using to post this. With GC 7.0, Lemkesoft changed the UI. Quite frankly, I like the UI of GC much better than the UI of Adobe's competing application.

We are all entitled to our opinions. We don't have to like or use the application to respect its developer. Lemkesoft has been one of the great Mac developers. Its two flagship application, CADintosh and GraphicConverter are Mac-only. Certainly in the case of GC, it gets frequent tweaks and updates. It is fully functional with paying the license fee. However, if you pay the license fee, then you are set for years with free updates until you need to pay again. You don't have to like GC, but you should respect it and its developer, Lemkesoft.

Until the past year I faithfully kept it current. And each time I updated it I started it, looked around, and decided I had easier to use tools for what I wanted. The 7.0 UI wasn't a very good change in my opinion.

I saw an application resting on its laurels rather than one working to make my life easier. I had used it (paid prior to the 7.0 update) since well back in the OS 9 days. So after 6+ years of giving it a chance, but not needing anything it did, I liberated my HD space and deleted it. Other tools have filled it's role, and the fact that the internet has become a standardizing force greatly reducing the wild west of graphics formats compared to the mid-to-late 1990's

Trying to change my mind after not reading my previous post particularly well just isn't going to go over too successfully.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I find it interesting that every commenter here seems so interested in discussing the merits of GC, or whether or not another poster is a troll. Am I the only one who finds this story interesting because it describes a trojan that targets a specific group of people, or two groups, one of which is likely to use graphics conversion tools to help them acquire and trade illegal materials? Is this gov't-produced, social engineering spyware? Are these pthc people using bitcoin as a currency among them? If so, then the whole thing seems to be an obvious attempt to gather evidence against a very specific group.

Are we seeing a glimpse of the future of law enforcement? Good-guy malware? Beneware?
  • Reply 44 of 45
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    I think it's more likely that the malware is fishing for blackmail-able material. The VAST majority of the malware industry is organized crime controlled, so if they are looking for a new income stream from cracked computers this wouldn't be a bad place to start.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Antivirus software is the for the prevention, detecting and remove maliciously software, including without limitation computer virusthe worm, Trojan horses, spyware and adware.