Apple updates GarageBand to add iPhone, iPod touch support

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's GarageBand application for iOS, previously an iPad-exclusive affair, is now also compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch.

GarageBand version 1.1 is now available for download from the App Store and is 501MB. For new users it remains $4.99, while the software update is free for those who already owned it on the iPad.

The universal application features a redesigned interface on the iPhone and iPod touch, utilizing the smaller screens on those devices. In addition to support for the rest of the portable iOS lineup, GarageBand 1.1 also adds the following features:

Create custom chords for Smart Instruments

Support for 3/4 and 6/8 time signatures

Reset song key without transposing original recordings

Transpose songs in semitones or full octaves

Additional quantization options for recordings including straight, triplet and swing

New audio export quality settings for ACC and AIFF (Uncompressed)

Arpeggiator available in Smart Keyboard

Adjustable velocity settings for Touch Instruments

Numerous enhancements, including automatic fade out and improved audio import options

GarageBand was first released for iPad in March, and packs a collection of touch instruments that allow users to create music wherever they go. The software includes touch-controlled keyboard, guitar, bass and drums, allowing users to make music.

With "smart" versions of instruments, users can easily compose music without even knowing how to play. And those digital instruments can be mixed with recordings from real live performances.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With "smart" versions of instruments, users can easily compose music without even knowing how to play. And those digital instruments can be mixed with recordings from real live performances.

[/url]

Yay! New versions of toy software!

Personally, I prefer Reason on my quad-core i7. But Garage Band can be fun for light hearted screwing around. Good for Apple getting it to run at all on lightweight hardware.

• Reply 2 of 25
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    iPhone App nowhere to be seen- AI did you get this one right?

Addtl : ok downloaded fr cloud. Apple's mistake not AI.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Wish you could just plug in a keyboard or a guitar and record it without an expensive accessory.

I also wish their iOS apps included their tutorial videos.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    One App includes iPhone And iPad versions.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

iPhone App nowhere to be seen- AI did you get this one right?

It's a universal app.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

One App includes iPhone And iPad versions.

I understand that but it's still not listed in the App store on the iPhone .
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Personally, I prefer Reason on my quad-core i7. But Garage Band can be fun for light hearted screwing around. Good for Apple getting it to run at all on lightweight hardware.

That's the smell of condescension...

Garageband is a better tool than it at first appears. Throwing down a quick song map on Garageband is extremely easy and sets the groundwork for a more complex Logic project. The Gb project can even by imported into Logic.

The Beatles made most of their music on an early 4-track, bouncing down each time they needed more tracks. They'd have sold their nannies to have a tool like Garageband. I hear an awful, AWFUL lot of terrible music these days, mostly produced by people with quad-core i7s and expensive software. It's about the song, the talent.

Don't be snobbish.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    368 MB to 500 MB. I don't have a pocketable device that can use it and I'm made to waste 200MB for nothing.

When will there be an XSlimmer for iOS apps? I want to DE-universalize some?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Yay! Why couldn't this have been announced at the last iPhone event? They could have said it was coming soon. At least that would have made the event a little bit interesting for me since I only wanted to get an updated iPod Touch. Now I'll wait a while to learn if Apple does introduce a larger screen for the iPod Touch.

If they do make one it would be logical to introduce it before Christmas. Most rumors don't get me excited, but the report that Apple was ordering seven inch screens makes me hopeful about getting a smaller iPad or larger iPod Touch soon.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Wow.

$450 software.

I hope its better.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

That's the smell of condescension...

Garageband is a better tool than it at first appears. Throwing down a quick song map on Garageband is extremely easy and sets the groundwork for a more complex Logic project. The Gb project can even by imported into Logic.

The Beatles made most of their music on an early 4-track, bouncing down each time they needed more tracks. They'd have sold their nannies to have a tool like Garageband. I hear an awful, AWFUL lot of terrible music these days, mostly produced by people with quad-core i7s and expensive software. It's about the song, the talent.

Don't be snobbish.

Good points.

Yes, what matters most is the artist, and not the tool.

But nice tools are nice too.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Wow.

$450 software.

I hope its better.

Like night and day.

But as I said, Garageband can be a lot of fun, and as somebody else pointed out, it is possible to use it to do good stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

wish you could just plug in a keyboard or a guitar and record it without an expensive accessory.

I also wish their ios apps included their tutorial videos.

+1...
  • Reply 14 of 25
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Wish you could just plug in a keyboard or a guitar and record it without an expensive accessory.

I also wish their iOS apps included their tutorial videos.

$30 is expensive? Here are a few options from $30-$100 that work for a guitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...86069000000000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...and-ipod-touch

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...iphone-and-mac

For MIDI you're talking $70. Still not that expensive.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...midi-mobilizer

The tutorial videos or the option to download the videos and use them even if they weren't included up front would be nice. They do take up quite a bit of space tho.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

...I hear an awful, AWFUL lot of terrible music these days, mostly produced by people with quad-core i7s and expensive software...

And a good portion of that awful stuff is coming from Reason users.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBytes View Post

I wouldn't mind having a copy of Reason just to be able to mess around w/Thor I'll be in the market for a DAW and software instruments come the spring. Reason, Logic, NI Komplete, ProTools, there are tons of options and even more when looking at guitar, synth and drum software.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBytes View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonamac

...I hear an awful, AWFUL lot of terrible music these days, mostly produced by people with quad-core i7s and expensive software...

Totally agree.

• Reply 18 of 25
    It appears that the App does NOT enable the Camera Connection Kit to allow MIDI or USB audio devices through to an iPod Touch 4g. Anyone know some work-a-rounds (non-jailbreak preferred, and "Buy an iPad/Mac" is an unacceptable answer as well.)?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

It appears that the App does NOT enable the Camera Connection Kit to allow MIDI or USB audio devices through to an iPod Touch 4g. Anyone know some work-a-rounds (non-jailbreak preferred, and "Buy an iPad/Mac" is an unacceptable answer as well.)?

Workaround is one word. And there's nothing you'll be able to do without jailbreaking, if at all.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

It's unsupported so your option would likely be the devices I mentioned a few posts up to get a guitar or keyboard into the Ipod Touch. I know you don't want to hear iPad, but an iPad and the Alesis I/O Dock certainly gives plenty of connection options.