124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

HOPEFULLY:

1.) An option to turn on/off Flash for iOS

Person A buys iPhone; shows to geek friend.

Person B enables flash and says "here, I just made it so you can play stupid web games."

Person A. Thanks.

- two weeks later -

Person B asks Person A, "how'd you like your iPhone."

Person A. "I returned it. The battery life was horrible and it kept getting hot. Apple really should do something about that."

Quote:

2.) Matte screens on iMacs

Look shitty in stores to regular consumers. Customers see Apple as just another PC vendor.

Quote:

3.) Blu-ray support

It's not what I want Apple to spend any effort on, but I wouldn't complain if it was there. It is available from third party now. Even movie playback.

Quote:

5.) HDMI on all Macs

Done via dongle. Surely you don't want to waste the space for an actual full size port given that 99% of Macs will never connect to a television?

Quote:

6.) Safari and apps on ATV.

Surfing the web on a TV is horrible. Absolutely horrible. Apple wouldn't tolerate that level of user experience. JailBreak your ATV and put Firefox on it if you want to.

Quote:

7.) End of keynotes - only self serving to the master showman. A disaster without him.

Are you insane? Keynotes are one of the major reasons that Apple gets all the press coverage that they do. If they just put our a press release, the press wouldn't care. It's the big show that gets them shown on CNN, MSNBC, and write ups in newspapers.

Quote:

8.) More Woz.

Why?

The problem with your list is that it reads like a geek wish list. Sorry, but Apple needs the mainstream too, more than the geeks who make up a tiny minority.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

That is brilliant.

They could market the company to the faithful as the "old" Apple, the one you fell in love with. Not the giant ruthless multi-national that Apple has become, but rather, the warm and fuzzy nerd-village Apple of yore.

Brilliant.

I suspect having millions fewer customers has something to do with why they don't want to go back to the "old" Apple.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

What do you have against the matte screen option? What did matte screens ever do to you? Heartless.

Oh, nothing, I assure you. I used to be one of you guys. Then I got my 27" Cinema Display and realized that it's silly to demand matte. I used 3 24" third party matte displays prior to it and I pined over the 30" Cinema Display years and years ago, so I've lived both sides.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

I wasn't aware that all Macs didn't already have HDMI support. In 2011, how can this be?

They do. That's not the point. HDMI is a television port. Thunderbolt is a computer port. People stupidly want HDMI ports on their Macs over Thunderbolt. All Macs have HDMI support, just buy an adapter.

Quote:

Safari on ATV would be nice; apps are a necessity. I have no doubt they're coming; I just can't believe it's taking this long.

Perhaps because it isn't coming. Because Internet TV is laughable at best and apps just don't work in that realm.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    All the trolls were out last night and are now wired on sugar today. Nice.

BOT: The reasons for Ron Johnson leaving are best known by Ron himself, but some of the speculation here rings true.

If, as Jobs has indicated in the past, he has sought out the best people who "get" the Apple vision, then folks like RJ are highly motivated innovators (HMI). HMIs tend to deliver a brilliant solution and then move on to the next challenge. Apple Retail was a huge challenge of gigantic proportions against a sea of nay-sayers. But now it is a mature and highly successful operation and needs someone less HMI, more motivated innovator/manager style. As CEO of an ailing retail operation RJ gets to flex his chops once again and demonstrate that he is a clear leader in retail operations innovation and management.

Hopefully if we wait long enough the insulin crash will set in and the trolls will curl up for naps.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    I personally hope Ron joins the Board of Directors now, as he was a member of the Board at JC Penney while at Apple.

Also, here is Ron's profile at JCP: http://www.jcpenney.net/Our-Company/...ive-Board.aspx
  • Reply 66 of 73
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I suspect having millions fewer customers has something to do with why they don't want to go back to the "old" Apple.

Ummm......nobody said that they wanted to go back to the old Apple.

The topic was marketing.

• Reply 67 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

If, as Jobs has indicated in the past, he has sought out the best people who "get" the Apple vision, then folks like RJ are highly motivated innovators (HMI). HMIs tend to deliver a brilliant solution and then move on to the next challenge. Apple Retail was a huge challenge of gigantic proportions against a sea of nay-sayers. But now it is a mature and highly successful operation and needs someone less HMI, more motivated innovator/manager style. As CEO of an ailing retail operation RJ gets to flex his chops once again and demonstrate that he is a clear leader in retail operations innovation and management.

Your guesses are as good as any, I suppose.

\\
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

The guy was offered the CEO position in a major national retail chain. I think there is nothing that Apple could have done to keep him.

Considering JC Penney's customer demographic, I don't expect them to start looking like Apple Stores with Ron Jonson as CEO. Or even like Target. But, given his track record, I'm a little excited to see what he can do to light a fire under JCP's retail strategy.

Yes! Most highly-motivated executives want to "do it their way" and set their own standards of excellence.

That is quite a coup and a challenge for Johnson...

... it will be interesting to see if he can turn it into the French boutique it was always meant to be...

...Zhay - Cee - Pennae -- C'est la marque d'un joueur de grande classe.

Or, maybe I'm confusing him with the famous Roman Lion Tamer -- Claude Genitalia

• Reply 69 of 73
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Part of being competitive is being able to fool the competition. Obviously Jobs was not against any of those things, and Jobs made the call.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

has steve jobs been for any awesome idea at apple in the last 10 years?

against a Windows ipod

against iphone apps

against the genius bar

• Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Why do we have to put up with this sort of stuff so often?

\t \tAppleInsider > Members List

ConradJoe's Profile

ConradJoe

Send Message User Lists

Last Activity: Today 01:22 PM

Current Activity: Viewing Thread Apple retail chief Ron Johnson officially departs with no replacement

About MeStatisticsFriendsContact Info

Total Posts

Total Posts: 986

Posts Per Day: 16.17

Find all posts by ConradJoe

Find all threads started by ConradJoe
  • Reply 71 of 73
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AppleInsider > Members List

ConradJoe's Profile

ConradJoe

Send Message User Lists

Last Activity: Today 01:22 PM

Current Activity: Viewing Thread Apple retail chief Ron Johnson officially departs with no replacement

About MeStatisticsFriendsContact Info

Total Posts

Total Posts: 986

Posts Per Day: 16.17

Find all posts by ConradJoe

Find all threads started by ConradJoe

Way to go. He usually clocks out and takes his lunch about this time. We should have a nice surprise waiting for him when he comes back for his evening shift.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Way to go. He usually clocks out and takes his lunch about this time. We should have a nice surprise waiting for him when he comes back for his evening shift.

You guys!
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Those are ALL the exact opposite of what needs to happen. Every single one of them. Particularly six and eight.

thank you