Halloween tradition continues at Steve Jobs' home in Palo Alto

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The family of the late Steve Jobs has continued an annual tradition of hosting trick-or-treaters for Halloween at a "haunted garden" outside their home in Palo Alto, Calif., with two neighborhood children even coming by the house dressed up as an iPad and iPod.

Synthetic fog, rumbling thunder and jack-o'-lanterns created a creepy atmosphere outside the Waverley Street home on Halloween night, Mercury News reported on Tuesday. In addition to the fame of its owner and residents, the house had also become well-known in recent years for its elaborate Halloween decorations.

Roughly 50 children waited in front the residence before the front gate opened at 6:30 p.m. on Monday. Three women were on hand to distribute out cellophane bags of candy at the entrance to the yard, according to the report.

Though trick-or-treaters' costumes included Vikings, Spiderman and priestesses, perhaps the most fitting were two boys who had dressed up as an iPad and an iPod.

"It's a wonderful testament to Steve Jobs and his family. My daughters will be talking about this for the rest of the year," said local resident Bob Kocher, who brought his two daughters by the house.

Students of nearby Palo Alto High School have said Jobs' family transformed their yard into "a spooky Halloween world" in years past, though some noted that the treats being passed out were disappointingly healthy, as reported by Katy Abbott of Verde. According to one student, Jobs handed out Odwalla energy bars to trick-or-treaters one year.

Two boys wore iPad and iPod costumes outside of the late Steve Jobs' home on Halloween. Credit: Mercury News.

Several anecdotes point to Halloween as a special holiday for the Jobs family. According to a eulogy given by Jobs' biological sister Mona Simpson at a memorial service, his son Reed insisted on dressing up as a witch every year. Also, one of Jobs' neighbors shared in August a memory of Jobs dressing up as Frankenstein for the haunted garden one year.

The trick-or-treat tradition at Jobs' house wasn't the only tribute to him this Halloween. For instance, AppleInsider reader Raymond created a jack-o'-lantern replicating a famous image of Jobs. Numerous fans also paid homage to the much-mourned former Apple CEO by dressing up in his signature mock turtleneck, jeans and sneakers for the holiday.

Following Jobs' death on Oct. 5, mourners flocked to the Palo Alto home, leaving flowers, apples and notes in memory of the Apple co-founder. Jobs passed away at age 56 after a years-long fight with cancer.

Flowers and Apples left outside Steve Jobs' home in Palo Alto. Credit: Peter DaSilva/The New York Times.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I wonder if Mrs. Jobs would've let kids in dressed as Android?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Perhaps it'd be more fitting, given the 'horror' theme of Halloween?
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Quote:

They're probably too old for that.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I didn't realize that people left flowers out side of Steve's home in Palo Alto. I wonder how long it will take his wife to get over her loss. Being that people may come up to her and say "sorry for your loss" of the flowers outside the home may end up being dropped off there for up to a year. Wonder if she will move away to heal.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

They're probably too old for that.

Read again. Kids, not her kids.

And you can never be too old for playful follies. You CAN, however, do it the absolutely wrong way and come off creepy and depressing about it.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Read again. Kids, not her kids.

And you can never be too old for playful follies. You CAN, however, do it the absolutely wrong way and come off creepy and depressing about it.

Yes, I know all of this.

And yet I stand by my comment. As a matter of fact, I think you inadvertently validated it. Enjoy!
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

Only the kids who can't get through saying "trick or treat" without rebooting. "Trick or (long pause) drrroooooid (very long pause) treat"
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Yes, I know all of this.

Then why don't you know your comment doesn't make any sense?

Quote:

As a matter of fact, I think you inadvertently validated it.

I'm game: explain to me the nonsensical logic that leads you to believe you've made any sort of coherent point here.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

I see you dressed up as a fake iPhone. ;-)
  • Reply 10 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Perhaps it'd be more fitting, given the 'horror' theme of Halloween?

• Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

Got it backwards. It is Bill Gates who has famously banned the opposition's devices from his house.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    What does this topic have to do with Apple? I mean- seriously?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

What could Steve Jobs's possibly have to do with Apple? If only there was some connection between Steve Jobs and Apple¡ Something… anything… that could tie this man and this company together¡
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

Seriously? Crikey.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What could Steve Jobs's possibly have to do with Apple? If only there was some connection between Steve Jobs and Apple¡ Something… anything… that could tie this man and this company together¡

Quote:

Seriously? Crikey.

Well then I suppose you should be anxiously awaiting for what the Steve Jobs family Christmas decorations should look like on their Palo Alto house and what side dishes will be served with Thanksgiving dinner too?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

Well then I suppose you should be anxiously awaiting for what the Steve Jobs family Christmas decorations should look like on their Palo Alto house and what side dishes will be served with Thanksgiving dinner too?

You're only making yourself look more a fool the more you post.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

iAm
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I see you dressed up as a fake iPhone. ;-)

Fake iPhone? I dressed up as a Samsung Galaxy S. Yes, you're right. I did dress up as a fake iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

You're only making yourself look more a fool the more you post.

I'm glad you think so Crikey Mate.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    I hope no one dressed up as an apple with a razor blade protruding.