Whoa, why does apple permit html5?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Wouldn't that cut into their profits? I'm assuming Flash isn't allowed for that reason, but more html5 means less apps on the app store....right? I just started learning about the new web standard. Especially finding out the new Pandora runs on HTML5....so theory...we don't need the App store anymore-at least not for a lot of apps that use the internet (Pandora, Youtube, Netflix etc.).

I might forgoe learning C and get to it on HTML!

Anyone else know why apple permits HTML 5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Native API are always superior to web technologies.

You've been reading link bait. While web apps may be good for basic games they won't provide the rich support you get through cocoa frameworks.

Think of web apps as being your basic Facebook like games.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Native API are always superior to web technologies.

You've been reading link bait. While web apps may be good for basic games they won't provide the rich support you get through cocoa frameworks.

Think of web apps as being your basic Facebook like games.

Oh....I've been misinformed. But I read GPU acceleration. I have seen a demo of Unreal Engine 3 running in a browers....is it possble at all?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Oh....I've been misinformed. But I read GPU acceleration. I have seen a demo of Unreal Engine 3 running in a browers....is it possble at all?

Well you haven't been misinformed but I too have seen the Unreal demos in a browser but that doesn't really tell the whole story.

I can run a lot of pretty nice content in my browser but often that leads to pretty heavy RAM usage and processor usage.

Because it's a web app doesn't mean that it's going to be efficient on a mobile browser. I think there is room for both native apps and web apps but when I read tech sites claiming the end of the app store I know they're just trying to suck people in with headlines.

There's so much more to app development and at times web apps are sufficient and other times native API must be chosen.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Anyone else know why apple permits HTML 5?

Apple likely favors HTML5 because it is industry driven open standard, in which they can contribute to as well, controlled by a standards body.

For the 1st gen iPhone (and 1st gen iPod touch) in 2007, HTML5 was the only way to for developers to write apps on the iOS platform. Sometime in 2007, Jobs was finally convinced or beaten down by his team that a native SDK was the right way to go.

So, in 2008 with iOS 2.0, 3rd party apps were supported by the Objective-C based SDK (arguably best in the business) as well as continued support for HTML5 apps. Apple didn't neglect HTML5 and continues to provide the best platform for HTML5 apps of any platform.