Apple unveils redesigned, simpler Fifth Ave glass cube

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Construction workers spent the last few months completely replacing the 32-foot glass cube, which previously used 90 panes of glass. The new design features 15 larger, seamless panes. ...

Technically, the new one uses 25 panels (not including the door and awning) and the old one used several hundred. Looks good though.

The manager of each store should wear long white robes and carry a staff with a miniature replica of the glass cube on the top.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theguycalledtom View Post

So, it loses the symmetry of using square panes of glass to make the cube but still has seams? Doesn't seem so great to me.

+1 Totally agree. I liked it better before.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

And if I were insanely rich, I would make an offer to replace it for AAPL, but I want to just get a handful of spark plug porcelain and stand back and just toss them at it.

Like I said, I would pay to replace it...but sure would be fun to bust it down like a sandcastle.

Seek help.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I bet that is Apple was able too they would have made one large panel per side. But that aside, I think it looks really clean. Nice.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Very impressive. Once they get it down to just the five panes their work will be done. Presumably things are different in the US, but if someone erected such a structure in the UK the 'health and safety' fascists would be down in an instant demanding it be covered in stickers with the legend: "Warning! Glass!"

In Canada, Apple would have had to go an extremely grueling building permit process. Then, once it was approved and erected one of the bureaucrats at City Hall would tell them it'll have to come down because of a code violation.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

+1 Totally agree. I liked it better before.

I think it look cool before with all the panels. Kinda of gave it a sparkly look.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    My brother used to haul large glass panels on tractor trailer. These are huge. I could just imagine what it took to make them and haul them. My goodness the cost as well.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    Quote:

Very impressive. Once they get it down to just the five panes their work will be done. Presumably things are different in the US, but if someone erected such a structure in the UK the 'health and safety' fascists would be down in an instant demanding it be covered in stickers with the legend: "Warning! Glass!"

I hope the giant hole in the ground will be good enough to keep people from walking in to it. I see people walk in to the side of bus stops all the time in Chicago. The way things are going here with deregulation... we probably won't even require a safety shield on a saw blade.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

The panes are seamless. Which simply means they are not framed or connected to each other. It wouldn't be possible to make the edges invisible because of light refraction.

That's not what 'seamless' means. The previous poster said that Apple claimed the panes were seamless. That's easy. The panes in your windows are probably seamless, too.

No one claimed that the structure as a whole would be seamless. Such a claim would be wrong. There ARE seams - whether the panels are framed or not is an entirely different issue.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It still looks like a cube. iCube 1S. In other words, to the uninitiated, it appears to be pretty much the same as the original cube before it, with very minor enhancements.

Not really. To the uninitiated the cube looks very clean and open. To the uninitiated the previous cube looked very different. Both cubes, both beautiful, but not at all the same.

The next iteration will feature only 5 panes though the internal support beams will still 'spoil' the look, I guess.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) This engineering achievement brings out the crazies in forums.

2) Maybe it's the lessened structural glass elements between the wall panes but the optical quality of the glass looks better.

Quote:

Very impressive. Once they get it down to just the five panes their work will be done.

Next would be 10 panes (2 panes x 5 sides) due to the machine development needing to be widened.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Looks like there are still seams visible.

No, the Emperor's new clothes are clearly quite seamless.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

The panes are seamless. Which simply means they are not framed or connected to each other.

Ah.

But the old entryway was exactly the same in that regard. I guess that one too was seamless. Or, maybe the panes were seamless. Hard to tell what these sorts of Applewords mean.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I hope the giant hole in the ground will be good enough to keep people from walking in to it. I see people walk in to the side of bus stops all the time in Chicago. The way things are going here with deregulation... we probably won't even require a safety shield on a saw blade.

It's a question of balance isn't it? A number of years ago I was working in a hostel, which had over twenty bathrooms. Each one had a hand basin with two taps, the left hand one had a red flash on top with the letter 'H' embossed on it, and the right-hand one a blue flash with the letter 'C' on it. One morning a man in overalls arrived, and he spent the day affixing a sign to the splash-board behind each hot tap. The sign read "Warning! The water from this tap might be hot!". Hot water from a hot tap? Who'd have thunk it?

Edit: for American readers: tap = faucet.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

- but there is a pretty good reason for marking clear glass when used as a door, or if it is in the direct path of foot traffic. Have you ever walked into a glass door? Fun to watch, perhaps but not really fun to do. I'd imagine Apple would rather fence the cube in than stick fat red stripes and warnings all over it.

It hurts to walk into a glass door. Specially when you are naked
  • Reply 36 of 79
    See Below:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

And if I were insanely rich, I would make an offer to replace it for AAPL, but I want to just get a handful of spark plug porcelain and stand back and just toss them at it.

Like I said, I would pay to replace it...but sure would be fun to bust it down like a sandcastle.

QED
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Yes, its 'cleaner', and 'simpler', and is a truly amazing feat...

But, on first sight, I think Ron Johnson may have had a point, when he said of the original construct: "The proportions we have today work magically with the colonnade of the GM Building".

I did immediately notice the lack of interplay in those lines now missing.

Of course its a matter of personal preference, but the new look is SO clean...its almost as if 'there is no there, there'.

I know that was the point, just not sure its a good one...\

I totally agree - its too clean now. All the little connecting bits between the panes in the original cube formed a pattern that broke up the facets and was visually pleasing, especially at night. Without them, the structure, while technically marvelous, is visually dull by comparison. I miss the old cube :-(
  • Reply 38 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Ah.

But the old entryway was exactly the same in that regard. I guess that one too was seamless. Or, maybe the panes were seamless. Hard to tell what words mean.

No, it's not hard to tell what words mean - unless you're a troll.

The panes are clearly seamless. The cube (or even each individual face) is not.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    It does not make any sense whatsoever that Steve Jobs personally owns and had the cube built with his own money.

What was he able to achieve with personal funding that couldn't be achieved using corporate cash? Are his ashes going to be entombed in the floating Apple?
  • Reply 40 of 79
    I'll be there Tuesday Night for an upclose inspection. Tickets booked (well, work calls be there... but I'll take the side trip to the store).

I liked the crystalline/multi-dimensional aspect of the prior structure. From the picture I can't tell if this is an improvement, 'different,' or worse.

But engineering wise, this is amazing, at this size.