Steve Jobs's $450 eyeglasses a hot seller following death

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' trademark glasses, which cost roughly $450, have seen a dramatic spike in sales since his passing.

Jobs' preferred glasses were the German Lunor Classic Rund PP. The cover of the recently released "Steve Jobs" biography prominently featured a photo of him wearing a pair.

Lunor's website currently advertises the frames as "The Glasses of Steve Jobs," as noted by a report from The Wall Street Journal.

At a recent optical trade show in Hong Kong, Power Bloom, the Asian distributor of the glasses, set up a tribute to Jobs in a display case with the frames.

?Steve Jobs 1955-2011: We have lost an ultimate genius. What he has left us are his overwhelming ideas and his favorite glasses,? the display read.

A display for Steve Jobs' trademark glasses at a trade show in Hong Kong. Credit: Alex Frangos/Wall Street Journal.

According to Garick Tsui, a marketing executive for Power Bloom, sales of the round-lensed glasses have "dramatically increased" in the weeks after Jobs died.

?After he passed, many, many clients and customers asked for these glasses,? he said, estimating that sales were in the hundreds.

When questioned whether the company might be inappropriately profiting from his death, Tsui simply replied, "People see these as a tribute to Mr. Jobs."

Due to complications with a rare form of pancreatic cancer, Jobs passed away on Oct. 5 at age 56.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    Horribly misleading title.

Not Steve Jobs' personal pair(s), the make of his personal pair(s).
  • Reply 2 of 71
    Anyone else find this kind of hero worship slightly unhealthy (both with the glasses and turtlenecks)?

Seems to be the antithesis of everything Steve was about..

"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life."
  • Reply 3 of 71
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Steve Jobs's glasses ... or Harry Potter's?
  • Reply 4 of 71
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDisco View Post

Anyone else find this kind of hero worship slightly unhealthy (both with the glasses and turtlenecks)?

I agree. To prevent the copycats from taking over the world, he bought up the global supply of black mock turtlenecks (which subsequently spawned their supply chain management strategy).
  • Reply 5 of 71
    I thought they were known as John Lennon glasses, but to be honest, anyone growing up in the UK who needed glasses as a kid in the 60s would be given a pair of these as they were the cheapest available. Back then there were no frameless versions though, to be fair.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    I thought Issey Miyake made the turtlenecks for him, and that St. Croix ran a scam promo to capitalize on the Steve's popularity and the publicity surrounding his passing...?

Miyake came up in the bio, here's a link to the article with squirming people caught telling fibs.

Black Book Magazine "St. Croix Did Not Make Steve Jobs' Mock Turtleneck"
  • Reply 7 of 71
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Steve was one of the few people who could make those glasses look good. Honestly not everyone can pull off that look.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Really. What good will the Glasses do any one. It won't bring him back.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    Quote:

"Your time is limited, so don?t waste it living someone else?s life."

I totally agree. Be you not Steve.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Nothing unhealthy about it.

Quote:

Sure, but what's wrong with that? The world needs leaders AND followers.

Quote:

He was also very fond of the saying "good artists borrow, great artists steal"

Don't fool yourself about what he was. If he wanted everyone to strike out on their own don't you think he'd have more than 1 model of iPhone in two colors?
  • Reply 11 of 71
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Really. What good will the Glasses do any one.

They will be able to see clearly...
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Due to complications with a rare form of pancreatic cancer, Jobs passed away on Oct. 5 at age 56.

Other items consistently found in Jobs' wardrobe have also seen a spike in sales since early October. The $175 mock turtleneck from St. Croix saw an "almost 100% increase in sales" shortly after Jobs died. The company briefly ran a promotion to donate a portion of its sales of the shirts to the American Cancer Society.

During a eulogy in memory of Jobs, Mona Simpson, his biological sister, quipped that he probably owned enough of the shirts for everyone at the memorial service.

Really this whole thing about imitating Jobs is really kinda stupid. What on earth are they trying to achieve? The poor man is dead. Wearing clothes that he wore and wearing his type glasses are not gonna do you any better than if you wore Old Navy clothes. Be original. Be you not Jobs. Only one good thing is coming out of this. Donation to the cancer society. Other than that its just a shirt and they are just glasses. You wont become Steve Jobs!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Nothing unhealthy about it.

Sure, but what's wrong with that? The world needs leaders AND followers.

He was also very fond of the saying "good artists borrow, great artists steal"

Don't fool yourself about what he was. If he wanted everyone to strike out on their own don't you think he'd have more than 1 model of iPhone in two colors?

So "stealing" the mans style in glasses accomplishes what exactly?

Great artists steal as a means to an end to create a better version of what came before it. Dressing up like your role model isn't. The quote means nothing as it pertains to this conversation.

I can agree that the world does need leaders and followers or it would cease to function, but an unhealthy hero worship by trying to dress up as your role model doesn't really serve that purpose either.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Steve Jobs's glasses ... or Harry Potter's?

LOL. You don't know your Harry Potter. Steve's eyewear is stylishly frameless.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    Quote:

So "stealing" the mans style in glasses accomplishes what exactly?

Great artists steal as a means to an end to create a better version of what came before it. Dressing up like your role model isn't. The quote means nothing as it pertains to this conversation.

I can agree that the world does need leaders and followers or it would cease to function, but an unhealthy hero worship by trying to dress up as your role model doesn't really serve that purpose either.

What are you, everybody's dad? "Take that off! Don't you dare go outside dressed like that, young man!"
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What are you, everybody's dad? "Take that off! Don't you dare go outside dressed like that, young man!"

Pretty sure I said nothing like that or implying that, but thanks
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Horribly misleading title.

Not Steve Jobs' personal pair(s), the make of his personal pair(s).

Really. I thought it was pretty obvious especially considering the price.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Quote:

Fortunately, I'm a long time glass wearer and turtleneck [black, burgundy, hunter green, etc] owner before I went to work at NeXT so I'm covered. I have upgraded from Levi 501s button fly youth of our early '80s to Carhartts which are more rugged and comfortable.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Who cares??? Move on already AI.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

This is going to sound totally elitist, but I always just thought the sort of people who had this sort of creepy thing for stars like Michael Jackson, Elvis or Princes Dianna were relatively stupid...unable to really think for themselves independent of what the man on the TV says to think -- apparently this syndrome even effects people who I thought were smart...It is heartbreaking to see so many people who I thought were independent thinkers follow Jobs this way...

Apple's big thing under Jobs was Think Different...the iRony is that if people that dress like jobs thought different, they would not dress like Jobs...

There is nothing wrong with wearing a particular type of glasses, turtle neck or brand of jeans if that is YOUR style, but to just copy someone else this way outside of Halloween costumes, is really troubling.