'Lost' 70-minute interview with Steve Jobs coming to select theaters in November.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A 70-minute interview from 1995 featuring the late Steve Jobs and the journalist Robert Cringely was presumed lost, but has since reappeared, and will be shown as a limited theatrical release in November.

The interview will screen at select Landmark Theatres locations at 19 U.S. cities on Nov. 16 and 17 as "Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview." The Palo Alto Aquarius theater will feature an extended 7-day engagement from Nov. 16 to 22, Movie city News reports.

Originally filmed for the "Triumph of the Nerds" PBS miniseries, the interview was thought to have been lost after the master tapes went missing during shipping. Less than 10 minutes of footage were aired during the series. But, in October, a VHS copy of the interview was found in London and has since been enhanced and restored.

The footage is billed as the "best TV interview Jobs ever gave." It is especially well-known for containing a section where the late Apple co-founder strongly criticizes Microsoft.

Mark Stephens, the journalist who is usually known by the pseudonym Robert Cringely, was one of the first employees at Apple after having met Jobs and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak at the Homebrew Computer Club in the 1970s. The Cringely moniker began as a column in Infoworld in the 1980s.

Steve Jobs during a 1995 interview with Robert Cringely.

Cringely describes the interview as "a moment in time" because it captures Jobs during his so-called 'wilderness years.' NeXT, the company that Jobs founded after being ousted from Apple, as well as Apple itself, were in trouble in 1995. In essence, the interview offers a snapshot of Jobs just before his now famous comeback at Apple.

In the wake of his death, Jobs has been the subject of several documentaries and TV specials, some of which contain unaired footage of him.

An authorized biography on him was also released last month. Culled from dozens of interviews with Jobs, the book offers numerous insights into Jobs' life and philosophy. The title has already topped best-seller lists, selling 380,000 copies in the U.S. during its first week.

Sony is reportedly looking into producing a film based on the book. Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin, who wrote the script for Academy Award-winning "The Social Network," is said to have been approached regarding the project.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    his now infamous comeback at Apple
  • Reply 2 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post

his now infamous comeback at Apple

Ah, thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 66
    Just put it online and stop BSing around. I want to see it, but I'm not going to a movie theater to go to see it.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Just put it online and stop BSing around. I want to see it, but I'm not going to a movie theater to go to see it.

I agree, as much as I would like to see the interview, I definitely won't pay or go to a theater to see it.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    The PBS interview should reinforce to most the difference between business acquaintances and close friendships Steve shared.

Cringley came off as a complete douche and clearly didn't garner any sort of friendship with Steve. Those that did talked about how 30 years of dedicated loyalty between themselves and Steve was so rare in Silicon Valley.

I hope people get a reality check that many of those who described Steve in terms as a seducer when he wanted something from you to an antagonist otherwise clearly haven't looked in the mirror much.

I've rarely met a person in Silicon Valley or any other valley that doesn't want to leverage connections to their benefit more than they could ever care about ``friendship.'' Cringley is an example of a journalist in the right place, at the right time, and continues to sponge off of technologists to keep his own career afloat.

I found it quite enjoyable in his revealing that he turned down working at Apple with large stock options at the beginning and thus revealing the foundation of his own bitterness with Steve--the guy has a giant size chip on his shoulder for his thinking these ``kids'' were a flash in the pan and that he wanted a salary from these dreamers, not stock options.

Anyone who can every get large stock options, regardless of the company, should always take that option. You don't count on it, but you'll never garner a salary that can explode your personal portfolio like stock options.

Walt Mossberg clearly misses Steve, deeply. It was also clear that he's more of a fan of Steven P. Jobs than a Bill Gates.

I'm glad that PBS special showed other people and also the most recent words of loss from Wozniak after finding out Steve had passed on. Extremely touching. The anguish on Woz's face made it clear his friendship with Steve was very dear to him, even today.

You don't garner such loyalty by being an a-hole throughout life.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    Quote:

A 70-minute interview from 1995 was presumed lost, but has since reappeared...

Too bad iCloud wasn't around back then.

You gotta back it up!
  • Reply 7 of 66
    Yes please, put in online as I am in the UK and it is a bit far to go to a cinema in Palo Alto...

Cheers
  • Reply 8 of 66
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Too bad iCloud wasn't around back then.

You gotta back it up!

lol!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

Yes please, put in online as I am in the UK and it is a bit far to go to a cinema in Palo Alto...

Cheers

Same here!
  • Reply 9 of 66
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    This does smack of profiteering. LIke others, I think anything other than putting it online is just wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Movie theaters? Really? A CNBC special I can see, but nobody is going to go to a theater to see Jobs and Cringley blather on. This reeks of misguided profiteering.

I'm a big fan of Steve and Apple, but I'll be glad when this period of idolizing is over.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    I find the theatrical release to be very odd, even considering that it will only hit a few art houses.

This seems more of a direct-to-DVD or an edited for TV sort of a product to me.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Movie theaters? Really? A CNBC special I can see, but nobody is going to go to a theater to see Jobs and Cringley blather on.

- Jasen.

I would, so there goes your theory that nobody would. (That's the problem with declaring absolutes.) The Cringely interview showed Steve at his most unguarded. His reflection and insight on MS is a joy to watch.

Actually, I think Steve Jobs' life would make a great opera. I'd go to theater to see that, too.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Slapping a cleaned-up VHS master onto a large screen just doesn't sound like a pleasant experience.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, here's a 50 minute one.

Fantastic! Thank you.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Limited theatrical release? And thus the cult of personality is maintained...
  • Reply 17 of 66
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Theaters? That's really, really weird. This is not footage of Michael Jackson rehearsing for a concert.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Parts of this video have been on YouTube for years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR8SAFRBmcU

It's a bit odd that a few weeks after he dies, this is suddenly found, restored and turned into a film. Talking about 'cashing in'.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Theaters? That's really, really weird. This is not footage of Michael Jackson rehearsing for a concert.

I wouldn't pay to see that either.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Talk about trying to cash in on his death... Lame.