Apple court filing takes HTC to task over superflous comma

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an amusing example of Apple's attention to detail, a new court filing from the company corrected a punctuation error made by rival HTC.

Apple's correction of HTC was found within what was characterized as an "otherwise boring document" by Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents. He discovered that Apple took issue with a filing from HTC that referred to the company as "Apple, Inc."

"Apple denies that its correct name is Apple, Inc.," Apple's response reads. "The correct name of Respondent is Apple Inc."

The humorous exchange was part of a response filed by Apple last week with the U.S. International Trade Commission. The document is Apple's rebuttal to a second lawsuit filed by HTC with the ITC in August, in which it has again accused Apple of patent infringement.

Attention to detail on all things, including, as in this case, an incorrect comma, is of course a defining characteristic of Apple products. The trait was instilled in the company by its late co-founder, Steve Jobs, who amassed a portfolio of over 300 patents in his time at Apple.

Apple first sued HTC in 2010, accusing it of infringing on 20 patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture and hardware. The ITC made an initial ruling in July in which it sided with Apple and indicated HTC's handsets could be in violation of two of Apple's patents.

HTC has fired back with its own lawsuits, including the one from which the comma dispute occurred. This year, HTC also bought S3 Graphics, a company that won an ITC ruling in July after a judge found Apple's Mac OS X operating system was in violation of two S3 patents.

While the question of a comma in Apple's corporate name might be good for a laugh, the stakes are high for Apple, HTC and the rest of the smartphone industry. One analysis has suggested a victory for Apple over HTC could set a high royalty precedent for Android devices, similar to the $5 per unit that Microsoft is believed to collect on the sale of HTC Android hardware, though Jobs himself suggested Apple has no intention of settling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Awesome. Steve's legacy lives on... in a lawyer!
  • Reply 2 of 44
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    That is, humorous.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Ask any lawyer. A misplaced punctuation mark can be a game changer. Remember Bill Clinton's "It depends on what the definition of "is" is."
  • Reply 4 of 44
    I Bet a Samsung lawyer could've caught that just like the way they can tell there Tablet from the iPad
  • Reply 5 of 44
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Jeez get it right. It's like the lawsuit a couple of years ago where someone sued Apple over the "iTouch."
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Wonder if HTC cared if Apple Inc fillings referred to them as H.T.C.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    People where I work are continuously referring to the platform as MACs instead of Macs. I gritted my teeth for years over this but recently have decided to start officially requesting they change. It reaches a point where using the correct terms (and punctuation) matter, especially if you're documenting procedures where the incorrect term may get stuck for a decade.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Is this the same company that ended up with a default over the Motorola case? No wonder they missed that one, they were too busy with this.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    HTC won't be paying royalties to Apple. Apple wants Android to go down, down, down...
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RagnaCaT View Post

I Bet a Samsung lawyer could've caught that just like the way they can tell there Tablet from the iPad

Of course, there is also a difference between "there Tablet" and "their Tablet".
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

People where I work are continuously referring to the platform as MACs instead of Macs. I gritted my teeth for years over this but recently have decided to start officially requesting they change. It reaches a point where using the correct terms (and punctuation) matter, especially if you're documenting procedures where the incorrect term may get stuck for a decade.

You should indicate that MAC is a cosmetic line, while Mac is a computer. That should help.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Perhaps their time would be better spent QA'ing their own software and ensuring that iOS 5 wasn't draining users' batteries. I alerted them to a similar issue several months ago during beta testing (I am a developer), and it was never taken seriously.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Of course, there is also a difference between "there Tablet" and "their Tablet".

So true sorry about that!
  • Reply 14 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tussmuss View Post

Perhaps their time would be better spent QA'ing their own software and ensuring that iOS 5 wasn't draining users' batteries. I alerted them to a similar issue several months ago during beta testing (I am a developer), and it was never taken seriously.

Perhaps your time would be better spend not suggesting Apple's lawyers should also be responsible for quality testing Apple's products.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple court filing takes HTC to task over superflous comma

In an amusing example of Apple's attention to detail, a new court filing from the company corrected a punctuation error made by rival HTC.

Isn't it spelt 'superfluous'? Not 'superflous'. I just checked on the dictionary on my iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

That's one of the biggest and most common errors that people make when typing.

Ignorant people who don't even know the difference between "their" and "there" are everywhere. And don't get me started on "Your" and "You're". There are so many ignorant people around, it's a wonder that they are even able to connect to the internet.

I can't take anybody seriously when they type like a uneducated child or an illiterate homeless bum. And now with smartphones everywhere and auto-correct, the younger generations are only getting dumber and dumber. In the near future, it will be a miracle if these ignorant people will even be able to spell their own name correctly.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Wow. I'm actually?

? in before, "HERP DERP COURT SYSTEM BROKEN, HERP DERP, SHOULD BE SPENDING YOUR TIME ON OTHER THINGS HERP DERP".

That's surprising.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps your time would be better spend not suggesting Apple's lawyers should also be responsible fort quality testing Apple's products.

Haha! But maybe they should consider putting more money into improving their software, rather than hiring so many expensive lawyers and acting so arrogant. I am referring directly to:
    Quote:

Attention to detail on all things, including, as in this case, an incorrect comma, is of course a defining characteristic of Apple products.

• Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tussmuss View Post

Haha! But maybe they should consider putting more money into improving their software, rather than hiring so many expensive lawyers and acting so arrogant.

WOW, I was just in time!

• Reply 20 of 44
    The ever-vigilant grammar trolls on this site would be proud!