Retina Display for iPad 3 would enable precision required for pilots, doctors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Droid is Super AMOLED Advanced, and I haven't been able to find out if it means pentile; the reviews I've read praise it.

I don't think there is competition regarding screen density, merely a gradual evolution towards better screens. If screen density was a factor, millions of people wouldn't still be buying the 3GS with its feature-phone-worthy 320x480 screen.

Sure, the new HTC isn't going look better than the iPhone simply because the pixels are slightly denser, but it's in the area that user's with 20/15 or worse vision won't be able to discern the pixels. As Snowdog65 points out that isn't the case with vendors marketing PenTile sub-pixels as pixels. I think I read that 400 is what will be needed for PenTile to look good.

As for the iPhone 3GS, this applies to most other phones, too. There will always be a part of the population that is oblivious to new trends in tech or simply don't realize their benefit. I know people that are always late to the game but yet a yer or two later talking up a tech like it's newly released. The act remains that the goal posts for moden devices have moved to making the pixels invisible to the naked eye. This is a good thing.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Thanks, I read more than one, but I find it pointless to post someone else's opinion. If the picture that they have provided in the review is of the actual RAZR screen, then it is clearly pentile. Nevertheless, the qualification is entirely subjective.

'If' the picture is of the device? I understand questioning certain facts but to suggest The Verge is being dubious seems tinfoil hatish.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypeMRT View Post

I can see the used for medical imaging but I call bullshit on aviation flight plans. We're not talking about Luke flying through the trenches of the Death Star. We're talking about largely automated planes and using an iPad to replace paper maps that are probably no bigger than a regular sheet of paper.

You really don't want someone trying to diagnose a 2 mm stone on your Abdominal CT scan on an iPad. Typically, we use 3 megapixel displays and often 5 megapixel displays or higher. We also use require very high contrast ratios rather than color (with some exceptions) with exceedingly high luminance which should be calibrated daily. You really don't want a radiologist diagnosing your imaging study on an iPad.

The iPad is fantastic for patient education, however. The ability to show a patient images at the point of care is further enabling a paradigm shift in medicine. Furthermore, once a radiologist has made their diagnosis, iPads are wonderful for referring physicians (often primary care physicians) view key images and better understand their patient's condition.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The charts for the in-route portion of a flight are still too complex to be displayed well on any electronic device,"

Even with pinch to zoom?!

Too complex for any electronics device but okay to deal with Jeppesen's 'onion paper-like' victor airways and jet airways enroute charts.

/

/

/
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Pilots are already using iPads.....

http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcascher...ghanistan.aspx

http://www.marines.mil/Pages/PhotoDe...-AN675-003.JPG

Hell, we're even killing bad guys with them.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

I can see the used for medical imaging but I call bullshit on aviation flight plans. We're not talking about Luke flying through the trenches of the Death Star. We're talking about largely automated planes and using an iPad to replace paper maps that are probably no bigger than a regular sheet of paper.

Approach plates, SID's STAR's are smaller than regular sheet of paper but enroute charts... think your old fashion fold out road map of old in your cars glove box.

/

/

/
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Droid RAZR is only Super AMOLED, and really falls short in the reviews.

THe HTC Rezound looks like it will be the first to best the iPhone's Retina Display. Only took a year and half, which is better than I expected from the competition but there are still other areas in which the display need to be tested, including how long the battery lasts which is pretty hefty at 1620mAh. I just hope that 1.5GHz CPU and 1280x720 IPS display aren't going to make this a poor compromise. Still, I'm glad to see other good (on paper) display panels coming to the competition.

RAZR? Rezound? Do Android manufacturers name their phonez for the usual suspectz?
  • Reply 28 of 63
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

The aviation maps require a pretty hefty briefcase. The size of each map is less relevant that the total amount of information they display (which might be quite high, depending on the DPI).
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Not going to happen.

Expect to see Retina in either iPad 4 or 5. I don't for a second believe they have manufacturing costs low enough to implement Retina displays in an iPad 3... plus the additional power and processing... Nah. Not going to happen.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:

The article was quoting an FAA spokesman, so unless you're a qualified airline pilot it's a bit of bad form to "call bullshit" on an official opinion. Not sure why you believe a supposed ipad3 retina display's extra resolution is critical for medical applications but not for aviation, where even more lives are at stake. The size of a paper map is not the issue, it's the density of information that matters. I've seen AAA road maps who's lines appear to be printed with some kind of vector graphics--not raster at all. There's an incredible amount of detail there, and I would guess it'd look pretty fuzzy on a non-retina display of the ipad's size.

And, btw, Luke turned off his targeting computer and used The Force. I would've too, considering the 1970's-era graphics their HUD displays were showing.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

'If' the picture is of the device? I understand questioning certain facts but to suggest The Verge is being dubious seems tinfoil hatish.

I saw no text below the image. They could have been illustrating PenTile in general.

I usually give the benefit of the doubt to information on the Internet. It is easy to fake stuff, but also pointless.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:

That is one area I hope the iPad gets better. The backlight just isn't bright enough for me, especially picking it up after using the iPhone.

Maybe you've got a problematic unit. Mine is so bright I can't take it more than 3/4 of the brightness up, especially in a dark room.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    It's not enough. The primary target customer is the average consumer and only if something makes sense, considered in totality, for that target audience, will it be incorporated into future versions of the iPad. There is no way, if there are trade-offs that make the iPad less appealing to consumers, that Apple would implement such a change. For example if the iPad is rendered more expensive with poorer battery life as a result of going with a retina-like display, it's simply not going to happen, certainly if the motivation was to have pilots using the device for long flights. The iPad is not intended for that specialized segment. If it can work for such a specific use, great, the more the merrier. But it's not something that would factor in Apple's decision-making.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

It's not enough. The primary target customer is the average consumer and only if something makes sense, considered in totality, for that target audience, will it be incorporated into future versions of the iPad. There is no way, if there are trade-offs that make the iPad less appealing to consumers, that Apple would implement such a change. For example if the iPad is rendered more expensive with poorer battery life as a result of going with a retina-like display, it's simply not going to happen, certainly if the motivation was to have pilots using the device for long flights. The iPad is not intended for that specialized segment. If it can work for such a specific use, great, the more the merrier. But it's not something that would factor in Apple's decision-making.

Just because Apple releases an iPad3 with higher resolution doesn't mean they will quit making the iPad2. With Apple's manufacturing and supply infrastructure, the more they make of a product the cheaper they are to make. The upfront costs of tooling and line setup get amortized out.

Expect Apple to keep the iPad2 around at a lower price point. The iPad3 will get higher resolution screens, 4G wireless, and probably more processing power and RAM.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:

That is one area I hope the iPad gets better. The backlight just isn't bright enough for me, especially picking it up after using the iPhone.

With two LED light sources on opposite sides of the screens each unit only has to light half the screen, so they can be run at a lower power. Overall it might drain a little more power than a single light source, but the trade off is it also gives Apple the capability to provide greater brightness overall if desired, and probably a larger dynamic range and more even dispersion.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Expect Apple to keep the iPad2 around at a lower price point.

Interesting proposition. This might actually happen.

Quote:

4G wireless

Hold your horses, now.

Quote:

probably more processing power and RAM.

Yeah, I'm thinking A6 with a gig. Or, knowing Apple, A6 with 768 megs.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Maybe you've got a problematic unit. Mine is so bright I can't take it more than 3/4 of the brightness up, especially in a dark room.

Between the first and second generation I've Owen 5 different units, each with equivelent brightness. I think my needs just exceed the average user.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, I'm thinking A6 with a gig. Or, knowing Apple, A6 with 768 megs.

If they move to the 4x resolution they will need 1GB of RAM. AnadTech notes in their 4S review why Apple won't jump to 768MB.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Makes me sad to think that Steve Jobs won't be the person unveiling the ipad 3 when it finally gets shown. I'm sure one of the other guys will do a fine job, but it won't be the same.

I'll probably be very sad for the next few keynotes knowing that Steve Jobs won't ever be on stage again. He was just so entertaining to watch and listen to with his "amazing, magical, and awesome" dialogue, moving about as though he were holding court. What a terrible loss of such a captivating speaker. Now, every Apple executive speaker is going to have to face that unfair comparison at every keynote address. Of all the CEO's of the major tech companies, Steve Jobs was probably the best but unfortunately had to be the one to go and die at such a young age. Tragic.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

You really don't want someone trying to diagnose a 2 mm stone on your Abdominal CT scan on an iPad. Typically, we use 3 megapixel displays and often 5 megapixel displays or higher. We also use require very high contrast ratios rather than color (with some exceptions) with exceedingly high luminance which should be calibrated daily. You really don't want a radiologist diagnosing your imaging study on an iPad.

And are all those MI monitors 10 bit?
  • Reply 40 of 63
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLurker View Post

The article was quoting an FAA spokesman, so unless you're a qualified airline pilot it's a bit of bad form to "call bullshit" on an official opinion. Not sure why you believe a supposed ipad3 retina display's extra resolution is critical for medical applications but not for aviation, where even more lives are at stake. The size of a paper map is not the issue, it's the density of information that matters. I've seen AAA road maps who's lines appear to be printed with some kind of vector graphics--not raster at all. There's an incredible amount of detail there, and I would guess it'd look pretty fuzzy on a non-retina display of the ipad's size.

And, btw, Luke turned off his targeting computer and used The Force. I would've too, considering the 1970's-era graphics their HUD displays were showing.

I've flown across country using the ipad2 for navigation in real instrument conditions. It is sharp enough to read all relevant data. Sharper displays would certainly improve readability, but are unnecessary for safe usage of enroute and approach charts.