26% of Amazon Kindle Fire buyers delaying purchase of Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    This is so misleading

1) The survey was of 2600 "early adopter types" not a general public

2) Of those, 5% or 130 had pre-ordered a Kindle Fire

3) Of those 130 people 26% or 34 said they put off buying an iPad

So 34 people put off buying an iPad and pre-ordered a Kindle and this flashes around the inter web tech world like flu germs in an elevator.

One might ask how someone is classified as an early adopter type and hasn't purchased an iPad after 18 months and 10s of millions of sales but its so much easier to be mindless and repeat what others are saying than to think.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think the market is down in general... AAPL about 1.6%

Of interest to this article:

- 1.56% AMZN

+ 1.83% BKS (Barnes and Noble)

But, your point is well taken!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by All Day Breakfast View Post

This is so misleading

So 34 people put off buying an iPad and pre-ordered a Kindle and this flashes around the inter web tech world like flu germs in an elevator.

One might ask how someone is classified as an early adopter type and hasn't purchased an iPad after 18 months and 10s of millions of sales but its so much easier to be mindless and repeat what others are saying than to think.

Not only that, but this news also brought down both AAPL and AMZN

Maybe 7 of the 34 hinted that they are also considering the Nook, hence the surge of BKS

It all makes perfect sense now!!!
  • Reply 43 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by All Day Breakfast View Post

This is so misleading

It's even worse than that -- from the article:

Quote:

...5 percent of respondents said they have already preordered a Kindle Fire or are "very likely" to purchase soon.

It would be interesting to re-survey those 130 people and see how many Fire purchases are now being delayed in light of the Kindle Tablet.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdoppio View Post

not only that, but this news also brought down both aapl and amzn

Maybe 7 of the 34 hinted that they are also considering the nook, hence the surge of bks

It all makes perfect sense now!!!

- 1.65% aapl

- 1.75% amzn

+ 3.08% bks
  • Reply 45 of 72
    Count me in. The FIRE is gong to burn up the market!
  • Reply 46 of 72
    from Apple 2.0

" In a note to clients issued Thursday, RBC's Mike Abramsky shares the results of a ChangeWave survey of 2,600 early adopter types. Two key findings:

5% of those surveyed said they had pre-ordered or were very likely to buy Amazon's (AMZN) new Kindle Fire, exceeding the 4% who said they were very likely to buy the original iPad in 2010.

26% of those 5% said they would delay or put on hold the purchase of a new iPad.

"Sustained Fire uptake and 'buzz,'" writes Abramsky, "will depend on consumer/reviewer reactions to Fire's user experience.""

5% of 2600 that said they would buy kindle.... 26% of that 5% would delay buying an iPad. Silly numbers.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple doesn't care about the other boys when it comes to how they make their decisions. Unless the other boys are cheating and stealing IP

They'll care if the other guys sell a lot of units and hurt iPad sales. And over the years there certainly have been features borrowed from Android and elsewhere, that sure looks like a reaction to the competition.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Count me in. The FIRE is gong to burn up the market!

You mean "Amazon's profits", right?
  • Reply 49 of 72
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    That sounds like an amazingly low number. Wouldn?t you think that nearly 100% of people who actually ARE buying a non-iPad tablet (as opposed to a black-and-white e-reader) would be buying just that tablet alone?
  • Reply 50 of 72
    straskstrask Posts: 107member
    Apple has a 3/4 share of the tablet market. People who are thinking of getting a Kindle Fire are very likely to be people who were in general thinking of getting a tablet. People thinking of the Fire instead of an iPad make up less than 70% of the group that was in the market for a tablet in general. Additionally, some purchasers were thinking of getting a Kindle. With the super aggressive sell at a loss strategy, this seems about right and is slightly more favorable to Apple than other manufacturers.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I am going to buy Kindles for my whole family, 3 each

None of them delays an iPad purchase

I totally agree. Tempted to get a Kindle or two to give as Xmas presents for family that just wants to have something portable to read books.

But definitely that won't delay me getting an iPad as soon as the next upgrade comes out, hopefully in January. I would wait for that regardless to get my first iPad so I can benefit from display and processor upgrades. And Siri on the iPad

Sure it would be nice if iPads were cheaper to give to my whole family, too. But I don't see Apple lowering the prices. I just like the fact that iPads are priced well and that they hold the prices with upgrades! Apple's margins are reasonable despite what others may say. That bit of extra money I pay for Apple stuff fuels the company so it can make vastly superior products. You really get what you pay for with Apple -- you get quality, visionary products, great customer service, etc, etc. Other products may give you something cheaper but they are just trying to buy market share -- haven't seen anything worth even considering for a real tablet. iPad is so much better it like comparing, well, apples and oranges.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    - 1.68% aapl

- 1.24% amzn

+ 5.65% bks
  • Reply 53 of 72
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new survey of customers who plan to buy Amazon's Kindle Fire touchscreen tablet found that 26 percent of those said the product has prompted them to delay or put on hold a purchase of Apple's iPad.

26% is a lot. A whole lot.

What are the initial sales projected at?
  • Reply 54 of 72
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

26% is a lot. A whole lot.

26% of 5% -- or just about 1.3% of the total group. Well within statistical error. 1.3% isn't a "whole lot".

Not to mention, of course, all the other flaws in the survey (most of them cited above).
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't doubt that they'll sell well, but I wonder how many of their purchasers would have otherwise bought an iPad. I'll bet the number is fairly small - they're just too different to be directly competing.

No need to doubt, wonder or bet - according to the article, it is 26%.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtHarg View Post

So Apple will sell, what, 26,000 iPads less (or later) if Amazon sells 100,000 Fires. Won't make a dent in iPad sales.

Some are predicting sales of up to 5 million, reducing iPad sales by somewhat over 1 million.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Some are predicting sales of up to 5 million, reducing iPad sales by somewhat over 1 million.

And some, actually quite a few, predicted that the iPad would be a flop. Predictions are worthless and the Amazon Kindle Fire will have very little effect on the iPad market. They're two completely different things. One of them is tiny and isn't even true multitouch.

The main people who are interested in it are people with not much money to spend.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

That's not what it says. Does Google pay you extra when you grossly misinterpret things?
  • Reply 59 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

7" form factor is too small with the growing screen size of the smart phone. I thought that I might actually like it, but it looked cumbersome on the commercials if you were doing anything outside of reading an online book.

So you only use your cell phone for reading books too, then?
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:

And that's 26% of 5%, they only asked the question of those who have already ordered a fire. 2600 people participated in the survey, 130 of those have ordered a fire and were asked the question. So that "26%" is actually 34 people out of 2600.