Claims of weakening demand for Apple's iPhone 4S disputed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    I ordered a 32GB black 4s on Nov 1st, and it hasn't shipped yet. There's no way Apple is cutting back when they can't meet current demand.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpoge View Post

I ordered a 32GB black 4s on Nov 1st, and it hasn't shipped yet. There's no way Apple is cutting back when they can't meet current demand.

I am waiting for Best Buy to get them in stock - or maybe they have and they are just not using the web site to report inventory.

Say what you will about Best Buy - but it is the only place that I can spend $400 on an Apple product and not pay interest for 18 months.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpoge View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I am waiting for Best Buy to get them in stock - or maybe they have and they are just not using the web site to report inventory.

Say what you will about Best Buy - but it is the only place that I can spend $400 on an Apple product and not pay interest for 18 months.

You guys might want to try getting them directly from an Apple Store by walking in or reserving in a store as a pre-order at 9pm on any given day.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    This story perfectly illustrates how important it is to take everything you read, including AppleInsider, with a grain of salt. Believe none of it until it can be verified by at least several different sources.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You guys might want to try getting them directly from an Apple Store by walking in or reserving in a store as a pre-order at 9pm on any given day.

I already have an iPhone 4 - and I am eligible for an early upgrade discount - so for me - it is less about getting it as soon as physically possible versus being able to buy it with the credit terms that are most favorable to me.

Though I wish I could just pay cash for everything I buy and avoid interest charges that way - such is not the case for now (at least until the convertible is paid off).
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Look at the 3GS numbers over the 3G. An exterior change surely help create interest as we all like new gadgets but the numbers speak for themselves.

Now look at the record breaking first weekend sales, records with ore-orders, the number of initial countries and rollout speed of new countries. I think Apple has really stepped up their ability to keep up with a massive demand.

It's not perfect in the sense there are people having to wait, but considering the growth of this market and the record breaking number of units they will sell of one model phone this quarter I don't see how it's anything short of impressive.

PS: You get AppleCare+? I think it's worth the price. If they give you replacements in a sealed box I may even purposely break mine in a year so I sell an unopened 4S on Craig's List. That ought to be worth $49.

I agree I think Apple really stepped up to the plate to make sure most did not have to wait long to get the 4s. Another factor could be that its now available through Sprint, Verizon and ATT. Sprint in my area had a longer wait, followed by ATT. I went with Verizon because they have the best service in my area.

I did get Applecare + on all three phones and it is certainly worth the money seeing I have a 16 year old daughter, also a wife that is a teacher and the kids want to play with Siri on her phone. The funny thing is if student gets a question correct while she is teaching the reward is they get to ask Siri a question...lol.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I did get Applecare + on all three phones and it is certainly worth the money seeing I have a 16 year old daughter, also a wife that is a teacher and the kids want to play with Siri on her phone. The funny thing is if student gets a question correct while she is teaching the reward is they get to ask Siri a question...lol.

With 3 in the household you get the benefit of playing musical chairs with the distribution to keep the person most likely to break their 4S with the one that has been replaced the least under warranty. Your daughter can break her 4S six times in 2 years? assuming the other two don't suffer.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

. Is the term iPhone becoming the generic form of the device such as Xerox means a photo copy?

It already has. iPad even more.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It already has. iPad even more.

iPad and iPod I can see because they dominate the market by unit share, but the iPhone has never done that and likely never will come closet. But maybe dominating mindshare is another way for these associations to happen.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    iPhone

Samsung 32-bit RISC ARM 1176JZ(F)-S v1.0 620 MHz underclocked to 412 MHz

128 MB eDRAM

4 GB, 8 GB or 16 GB flash memory

Fixed-focus 2.0 megapixel camera

3.5 inch (9 cm) 320×480-pixel resolution at 163 ppi 18-bit (262,144-color) LCD

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850 900 1800 1900 MHz)

Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)

Bluetooth 2.0

USB 2.0/Dock connector

Visual Voicemail, multi-touch gestures, HTML email, Safari web browser, threaded text messaging, and YouTube

iPhone 3G

CPU\tSamsung 32-bit RISC ARM 1176JZ(F)-S v1.0 620 MHz underclocked to 412 MHz

PowerVR MBX Lite 3D GPU

128 MB eDRAM

8 GB or 16 GB flash memory

Fixed-focus 2.0 megapixel camera

3.5 inch (9 cm) 320-by-480-pixel resolution at 163 ppi 18-bit (262,144-color) LCD

Tri-band UMTS/HSDPA 3.6 (850 1900 2100 MHz)

Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)

Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

USB 2.0/Dock connector

Assisted GPS and turn-by-turn navigation with Maps

iPhone OS 2.0 introduced App Store, 3rd party applications, Microsoft Exchange mail support, push e-mail, and scientific calculator

iPhone 3GS

Samsung S5PC100 ARM Cortex-A8 from 833 MHz underclocked to 600 MHz

PowerVR SGX535 GPU

256 MB eDRAM

8 GB, 16 GB or 32 GB flash memory

3 megapixel camera with tap-to-focus and video recording at 480p

3.5 inch (9 cm) 320-by-480-pixel resolution at 163 pip 24-bit (16.76 million colors) LCD

Tri-band UMTS/HSDPA (850 1900 2100 MHz)

Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR

USB 2.0/Dock connector

Magnetometer (digital compass), Voice Control

iPhone OS 3.0 introduced Accessibility features (VoiceOver, Color Inversion, and Text Zoom), Compass, Voice Control

iPhone 4

Apple A4 (ARM Cortex-A8) from 1 GHz underclocked to 800 MHz

Apple A4 PowerVR SGX 535 GPU

512 MB eDRAM

16 GB or 32 GB flash memory

3.5 inches (89 mm) diagonal 1.5:1 aspect ratio widescreen LED backlit IPS TFT LCD Retina display (640×960 resolution at 326 ppi (0.61 MP) with 800:1 contrast ratio (typical) 500 cd/m2 max brightness (typical) and Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back glass

Rear Camera: 5 MP back-side illuminated sensor with HD video (720p) at 30 frame/s and 5× digital zoom and LED flash

Front Camera[/I][/B]: 0.3 MP (VGA) SD video recording (480p) at 30 frame/s

Photo and video geotagging

3-axis gyroscope complements the 3-axis accelerometer for 6-axis motion sensing

Dual microphone (for ambient noise canceling)

Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) (2.4 GHz only)

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

GSM model: Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (800 850 900 1800 1900 MHz)

Quad-band UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (800 850 900 1900 2100 MHz) (800 MHz not yet announced as supported by Apple)

CDMA model: Dual-band CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A (800 1900 MHz)

iOS 4 (now decoupled from iPhone releases) includes: AirPrint, FaceTime, Folders, Game Center, High Dynamic Range imaging, iBooks, iTunes Home Sharing, Multi-tasking, Nitro JavaScript engine in Safari, Notifications, Personal Hotspot, Ping

iPhone 4S

Dual-core Apple A5 (ARM Cortex-A9) from 1 GHz underclocked to 800 MHz

Dual-core Apple A5 (PowerVR SGX 543MP2)

512 MB DDR2 (1066 Mbit/s) RAM

16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB

3.5 inches (89 mm) diagonal 1.5:1 aspect ratio widescreen LED backlit IPS TFT LCD Retina display (640×960 resolution at 326 ppi (0.61 MP)) with 800:1 contrast ratio (typical) 500 cd/m2 max. brightness (typical) and Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back glass

Rear Camera: 8 MP back-side illuminated sensor featuring IR filter, Aperture f/2.4 and 5 element lens as well as Image signal processor, Facial recognition with HD video (1080p) at 30 frame/sImage stabilization

Front Camera: 0.9 MP VGA with 30 FPS (720p)

Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) (2.4 GHz only)

Bluetooth 4.0

"World Phone"

Combined GSM/CDMA antenna: Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (800 850 900 1800 1900 MHz)

Quad-band UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (800 850 900 1900 2100 MHz)

Dual-band CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A (800 1900 MHz)

GLONASS signal reception in addition to GPS signal reception

Siri speech recognition with natural language processing

iOS 5 includes: AirPlay, Camera Improvements (auto enhance, crop and rotate, red eye fix), Emoji Keyboard, iCloud, iMessage, Notification Center, Newstand, Reader, Reading List, Reminders, Twitter Integration
  • Reply 32 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Short and distort!
  • Reply 33 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I think I missed that link.

URL?

being sarcastic...obviously how would htc, google, and MS know about anything about apple shipments.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    One of Apple's key marketing techniques has long been to create the illusion of shortage (and "news" stories of panic buying) by ensuring that they supply less to the market than the current level of demand.

The story that Apple has cut orders seems entirely credible to me.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fandroid View Post

One of Apple's key marketing techniques has long been to create the illusion of shortage (and "news" stories of panic buying) by ensuring that they supply less to the market than the current level of demand.

This is nonsense believed by idiots. Apple will get hammered in the market at the next financial call if the fail to meet targets.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fandroid View Post

This is the dumbest marketing logic i've seen. So artificially restrict supply so that many people can not get the product so these people could go to competitor's product. I'm glad you're not running a company. I could have sworn businesses would rather sell more products to more people to actually make money.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    There is no stock in any O2 store in the UK. Demand is off the wall.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There is no stock in any O2 store in the UK. Demand is off the wall.

True, i have bookmarked thier stock checking website and check it every day but not all have any stocks. In the end, I ordered one from Apple online store SIM Free a week ago with delivery expected between 11-18 Nov but the order status have not change since I made my order which could mean it is not yet built. I bought a White 16GB 4S. And O2 even only sell them to their existing customers. They were the sole network at the start do basically more old subscribers that needing an upgrade than the other 3 major networks. Demand is indeed high.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    To all the people going off topic talking about whether the iPhone 4S was a big enough upgrade; Lets just put it this way, if the 4S was given a new form factor no one would be bitching. Which shows how superficial people can be. Instead of buying iPhones to show off that you have the newest phone, buy it because of all the simplicity, functionality, apps, speed, etc etc.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corporate View Post

... if the 4S was given a new form factor no one would be bitching.

Are you kidding?! Perfection just increases the bitch level.