26% of Amazon Kindle Fire buyers delaying purchase of Apple's iPad

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickf View Post

The Fire and Nook tablets will take a bunch of share from Apple. I'm considering one, since I use my iPad primarily for reading. Yeah, I have a keyboard and all that for the iPad, but mostly I just do reading.

I have tons of games, but don't play them much. I read. I read. I read.

Amazon and Barnes and Noble will take a good chunk of share from Apple.

Yes, they are different types of devices, but a lot of people just want to read. The iPad does get heavy after a while.

Who cares if Android is forked and Amazon has to "maintain" Android. BN, too. So what?

The Nook is a fine device. The Fire will be a fine device. And the Nook tablet will be a fine device. All will have good sales.

End of story. Thanks.

Except, did you see the price of the 7" tablets? Nice. Very nice. Again, Apple will lose share. No one wants to pay $500 to read.

P

Although I get a lot additional functionality out of the iPad, I have to say, spot on.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    The Fire and the new Nook will affect Apple's market share numbers because the analysts will group these all in the same product category, even though from a technical point of view they're not anywhere close. But I don't see these new devices impacting Apple's iPad sales at all.

At best, these new devices are just an enhanced e-Reader, with color and media playback. The advent of the Fire has not changed my iPad purchase plans in the slightest. I still plan on purchasing a new iPad (3) next year. However, I now plan to purchase either a Fire or Nook in ADDITION to the iPad, for one purpose, and one purpose alone: A 'throw away' device for the kids to play with.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And that's 26% of 5%, they only asked the question of those who have already ordered a fire. 2600 people participated in the survey, 130 of those have ordered a fire and were asked the question. So that "26%" is actually 34 people out of 2600.

Actually, it was people who had ordered a Fire or were planning to do so soon.

However, no one has caught the biggest flaw in the survey. These people are supposedly 'early adopters'. Yet they don't already have iPads. Now, if they're early adopters, but don't have iPads, then they must have some particular problem either with Apple or the iPad, so they're not representative.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

- 1.68% aapl

- 1.24% amzn

+ 5.65% bks

Not sure it means anything much at all. (The numbers at close are, btw, AAPL ?2.7%, AMZN ?3.1%, BKS +13.8%).

First, the market was down well over 3%. So, both AAPL and AMZN simply mirrored that. Second, wile it is true that BKS had a good day (+ ~17%, market-adjusted), that is because the stock has stunk for a while, and this news prompted some faint relief that they probably still have some life left in them. BKS (mkt cap ~800M) is not even a rounding error compared to AMZN (mkt cap ~$100B).
  • Reply 65 of 72
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickf View Post

Apple should care and lower the price of the iPad. Price sensitivity. What will the market bear?

So you are saying that Apple should lower their prices to compete with an enhanced reader that is not as full-featured nor as capable as the iPad.

Ok then using your flawed logic I guess Mercedes should lower their prices to compete with KIA.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, it was people who had ordered a Fire or were planning to do so soon.

However, no one has caught the biggest flaw in the survey. These people are supposedly 'early adopters'. Yet they don't already have iPads. Now, if they're early adopters, but don't have iPads, then they must have some particular problem either with Apple or the iPad, so they're not representative.

I suspect it is price sensitivity...

If there is a maximum $ amount that you are set to spend -- you:

1) don't buy anything above that amount.

2) buy something at or below that amount

3) don't buy anything -- you wait until you can buy what you want at a price you want to pay.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect it is price sensitivity...

If there is a maximum $ amount that you are set to spend -- you:

1) don't buy anything above that amount.

2) buy something at or below that amount

3) don't buy anything -- you wait until you can buy what you want at a price you want to pay.

That's entirely true - but would mean that the 5% of 26% who allegedly delayed their iPad purchase weren't really likely to buy an iPad, anyway.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think we're still in the "learning period" for what a tablet should be, for most people.

If you've never owned a tablet, you may be in the market for a big smart phone with better media performance. Email, browser, photos, movies and music, books, games (one or two of the currently most popular). Done. If that's all you'd ever want then a Fire would probably be a great choice, certainly an economical choice.

Apple, of course, is pushing the iPad towards laptop replacement territory. If you're trying to get by without a laptop on your next trip, the Fire would probably be frustrating.

As tablets become more ubiquitous, and the pool of potential buyers become more sophisticated about what a tablet can potentially do, I think somewhat limited devices will be a harder sell, even at low price points. No one buys a media laptop thinking that they might need to get a fully featured laptop to go along with it at some point, but that's because years of use have educated the buyer about what a laptop "ought" to do.

I see the tablet market divided into 3 separate sections:

-The e-book readers. These are your kindle and nooks. Specific use and designed for reading books (duh).

-The media tablets. This is the market that Apple pretty much created. Designed for general usage, they excel in 'media consumption' roles with a light bit of productivity.

-The tablet PCs. these are your convertible, stylus based tablets running windows. Designed for very general use, they excel in productivity tasks while mobile.

For the most part, I don't see these 3 segments competing with each other. You pretty much know which of the 3 types of tablets you want from the get-go. We are, however, starting to see tablets that blur the lines between these distinctions.

The Kindle Fire and the Nook Color occupy a space somewhere between e-readers and media tablets, whether it works or not remains to be seen.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's entirely true - but would mean that the 5% of 26% who allegedly delayed their iPad purchase weren't really likely to buy an iPad, anyway.

No, that's exactly backwards. The 74% are unlikely to buy an iPad. The 26% were likely to buy.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    It is the price factor which determine the purchase of Fire and not functionality per se.

Just like the PC war it is price driven.

Remember the webos tablet which sold like hot cakes and I wonder how many are regretting they what they did.

I believe as long as Apple keep on their course of making the iPad better they have no fear of any android tablets.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Meh, I like the Nook Tablet better for $50 more. It's a good enough device to let the kids have.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

No, that's exactly backwards. The 74% are unlikely to buy an iPad. The 26% were likely to buy.

Is it really too much trouble to check the facts before posting your nonsense?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ples_ipad.html

http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/changewave-111109.jpg

5% of responders said that they had purchased a Fire or were planning to. Of that 5%, the question was asked whether they had delayed or put on hold the planned purchase of other devices. 26% said that they had delayed or put on hold their iPad purchase. That tells you nothing about the other 74% except that they did NOT delay or put on hold their iPad purchase. They might never have planned to buy one in the first place. They might have decided to proceed with their iPad purchase without delay. Or they might have decided to accelerate their iPad purchase after seeing the Fire. Once again, your interpretation has no bearing on reality.