Ron Johnson assembling former Apple retail alumni at JC Penney

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After retiring as Apple's senior vice president of retail operations, Ron Johnson is assembling a team of former Apple executives to reinvent US retailer JC Penney, where he now serves as a chief executive.

Johnson, who arrived at Apple from Target in January 2000, is credited with leading the construction of the Mac maker's blockbuster global retail chain, including its innovative features such as Genius Bars, theaters and Easy Pay checkout.

Now, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal, Johnson is assembling a team that includes former Apple executive Daniel Walker, who served as a "chief talent officer" from 2000 to 2005, and Michael Kramer, who worked as Apple Retail's chief financial officer over the same five year period.

Walker initially recruited Johnson to work at Apple, while Kramer worked with Johnson at Target before both joined Apple ten years ago. Johnson's new team hopes to do at JC Penney something similar to what they accomplished at Apple: building a profitable retail operation.

At JC Penney, Johnson faces new challenges. Unlike Apple, which started its retail operations from scratch a decade ago and organically grew global, JC Penney is already operating over 1,100 stores across the US and Puerto Rico, and has been in business since 1902.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    ...and?!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

...and?!

the end.

End quote/
  • Reply 3 of 29
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    To paraphrase: "Do you want to sell shirts for the rest of your life or change the world?"
  • Reply 4 of 29
    So does this mean JC Penny will make their own clothing?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Maybe he will take the chain in its own direction, start manufacturing its own clothing lines ala old navy, and mix in a lot of apple retail, employees able to do instant checkout. It would be great to se a complete re-invention of the chain, department stores have not changed much in the last 30 years.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

To paraphrase: "Do you want to sell shirts for the rest of your life or change the world?"

"I've helped changed the world and now I want to sell shirts for the rest of my life!"
  • Reply 7 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Revamping a retail chain like JC Penney will be difficult.

Computers, IMO, are far more simple which confounds me how CompUSA went out of business.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member
    Good luck, you will need it.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    There wouldn't be a reason why they are former Apple executives would there?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    The section in Steve's bio about the retail venture is one of the best parts in the book; how Steve and Ron built the mock-up store and visit it each week, going over every detail, I wonder if he jumped because there's no more Steve.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

The section in Steve's bio about the retail venture is one of the best parts in the book; how Steve and Ron built the mock-up store and visit it each week, going over every detail, I wonder if he jumped because there's no more Steve.

Ron has about a decade until he retires. You only get a crack at a CEO position once if your lucky or twice or more if you're really lucky. It's Johnson's turn to guide the whole company. It had nothing to do with Steve.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Computers, IMO, are far more simple which confounds me how CompUSA went out of business.

Sales staff on commission probably. Motivated to sell you the product which gives them the most commission rather than the product you actually need.

There's a chain in Canada called Future Shop which I avoid going to for that reason (don't mind buying from them online, just hate the stores).
  • Reply 13 of 29
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    I see more exciting potential at JC Penney than at Apple, as 2012 beckons, to be really honest about it. JC Penney has huge potential to benefit from improved concept and execution. Apple, nowhere to go but down basically. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Revamping a retail chain like JC Penney will be difficult.

Their selection was terrible. I am not a fan of Best Buy either, but at least Best Buy actually has a nice selection of electronics at terrible prices.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    From Apple to Jacques Penne ? That has to be a real downer. Except for the mega salary they are getting.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Former alumni is redundant.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    This is a PR move only. JC Penny isn't about to revolutionize sh**! Top alumni brought together. PAAAALEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!

Their inventory of crap is overwhelming. At Apple you could count the money making products on one hand; however,with JCP you'll need a team of dozens to figure what the hell they have. Again, this is pure PR. And I'm sure Wall Street is optimistically cautious about this.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Former alumni is redundant.

Ha Ha you are correct. Maybe they get excommunicated if they leave Apple to join a team of other former alumnus.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

So does this mean JC Penny will make their own clothing?

From socks, to shoes, to slacks, to braces, to tshirt, to dress shirt and to jacket--we got you covered, I guarantee it...
  • Reply 20 of 29
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:

Ron has about a decade until he retires. You only get a crack at a CEO position once if your lucky or twice or more if you're really lucky. It's Johnson's turn to guide the whole company. It had nothing to do with Steve.

That is right. Ron did all he could at Apple and as Senior VP, he could not any higher. With JCP, he could reinvent the business and really make a difference. Plus he must have a got a boat load of performance based options that can result in 100s of $Ms.

I would keep an eye on JCP stock and see if their sales accelerate and profit margins start increasing. Also visit the stores and look at their set-up, traffic. More important, I will send the wife to check it out without telling her the reason. I certainly should have listened to her during the Xmas of 2008 when she could not stop going to Dillard.