Steve Jobs could be first posthumously-named Person of the Year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was nominated to be Time magazine's Person of the Year, and if selected could could become the first person to be posthumously awarded the distinction.

It was announced on Wednesday that the late Jobs was nominated by "NBC Nightly News" anchor Brian Williams to be Time's 2011 Person of the Year, something that the magazine has never done, according to CBS News.

Williams led the annual panel debate in New York, along with Time's Managing Editor Rich Stengel who noted that the publication has "never actually chosen a dead person" as Person of the Year. Panelists included actor Jesse Eisenberg, Saturday Night Live head writer Seth Meyers, lawyer and professor Anita Hill, lobbyist Grover Norquist, and chef Mario Batali.

"One guy, who changed our world, and I said to Seth Meyers as we walked across Sixth Avenue, 'Just look with me on this one block walk at how he changed the world around us. Look at how he changed the world,'" Williams said during his nomination speech. "'Oh the places you'll go' and oh the way you will change forever the music and television industries. So may he rest in peace, Steve Jobs, and the spirit he represents, are my nominee for Person of the Year."

Besides Jobs, notable nominees inlude U.S. Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren, the late Tunisian fruit vendor credited for starting the Arab Spring Mohamed Bouazizi and lead organizer of the uprising in Cairo Esraa Abdel Fatah.

Much of the debate focused on whether a deceased individual should be given the distinction, with Eisenberg saying that doing so would be akin to the Oscars giving best director to someone who just died when they really deserved a lifetime achievement award.

However, it seemed Jobs was the leading contender in the debate as Batali and Norquist both agreed with Williams' nomination.

?The smartphone has changed the world as much as the Bible has,? Batali said.

Jobs has been previously nominated for the honor, coming up short last year to Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg.

Time's Person of the Year will be revealed in December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This lets them repackage and sell what they wrote about Jobs in October for a whole new edition at the end of the year. Does anyone think Jobs won't get this?
  • Reply 2 of 66
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Batali's statement that the smartphone has changed the world as much as the Bible will get him some heat.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    Man of the Year: Mohamed Bouazizi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_spring
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Batali's statement that the smartphone has changed the world as much as the Bible will get him some heat.

"Death to infidels and blasphemers.

Sent from my iPhone"

• Reply 5 of 66
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Death to infidels and blasphemers.

Sent from my iPhone"

I mean, this is America where people couldn't handle John Lennon saying the Beatles were bigger than Jesus and he thought that was a bad thing. I think it's just plain dumb to say considering all the wars that have been fought for religion, when the strongest war you have in smartphones is iOS vs Android heh.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    A Chinese proverb says, "May you live in interesting times." Steve Jobs has made ALL of our lives more interesting....
  • Reply 7 of 66
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I think Steve Jobs will win it.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Why?

Sure Apple did well this year, and many mourn the passing of Jobs, but there were no truly significant products introduced this year, merely updates on existing devices/designs.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Zuckerberg was certainly less deserving than Steve already. Better late than never. \
  • Reply 10 of 66
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    “The smartphone has changed the world as much as the Bible has.”

The Bible may have changed the world, but whether it actually made the world a better place is debatable.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Why?

Sure Apple did well this year, and many mourn the passing of Jobs, but there were no truly significant products introduced this year, merely updates on existing devices/designs.

Person of the year isn't required to make a widget. Andy Grove was person of the year in 1997 and he didn't build anything that year. You don't even have to be nice: Hitler won the award in 1938. Historically, to be Person of the Year, you need to be in the news a lot - and Steve was. The fact that his impact on society is frequently compared to Walt Disney, Henry Ford and Thomas Edison increases his odds. The fact that Steve's business reached a milestone this year as most valuable company in the world, after being near bankruptcy when he arrived, is a plus in his favor.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Too many questionable and unethical news surrounding Steve and Apple. I hope he doesn't get it.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Person of the year isn't required to make a widget. Andy Grove was person of the year once and he didn't build anything that year. You don't even have to be nice: Hitler won the award in 1938. Historically, to be Person of the Year, you need to be in the news a lot - and Steve was. The fact that his impact on society is frequently compared to Walt Disney, Henry Ford and Thomas Edison increases his odds.

Well then give him some kind of lifetime achievement recognition, because 'Person of the Year' just doesn't seem appropriate in this case.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Too many questionable and unethical news surrounding Steve and Apple. I hope he doesn't get it.

The trolls are out early on this thread...
  • Reply 15 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Meaningless lists of the year.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Steve should get Nobel's peace price

and every other great price there is.

Steves company have changed the whole world to the better. No one else have done that.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Since he was ousted by "The Computer" during the year he should have been, he better darn well get it.

Then again, it IS Time, so what does it really matter?

Quote:

Oh, wait. Godwin's Law means that I lose and he's right, doesn't it?

Darn, should have chosen the Stalin cover.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Man of the Year: Mohamed Bouazizi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_spring

Give me a break.

That moron should get the Darwin award for the year.

You don't give out awards for Man of the Year to idiots who set themselves on fire.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:

"Too many.... news?!"

Too much booze?
  • Reply 20 of 66
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    As for Steve Jobs being named man of the year from Time magazine, my reply is who gives a crap?

They dissed Steve Jobs many years ago, when he should have been on the cover, and Time magazine is a crappy magazine, so I don't think that they should give him the award now. It's too late and it's a meaningless award.