RIM faces two new threats to ailing business

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Research in Motion has seen its second BlackBerry service problem in a month, while Google plans to pull its popular Gmail app for the platform.

Two new problems arose for an embattled RIM on Wednesday as the company faced another issue with its various BlackBerry services, coming after news that Google plans to stop offering support for its Gmail app and will pull it from BlackBerry App World.

BlackBerry service hit with second problem in a month

It was revealed on Wednesday that Research in Motion was investigating complaints from users seeing delays of BlackBerry Messenger chats and emails in the same region where the company saw a major outage less than a month ago, reports Reuters.

The BBM and email delivery delays are affecting the EMEIA region (Europe, Middle East, India and Africa) that suffered a nearly four day long complete outage in October due to a failed backup server in the UK. RIM technicians are unsure whether the fault lies with the same server or stems from an undiscovered technical issue.

A company spokeswoman noted that the service delays were not system-wide and that an investigation seeking the cause of the slowdown is underway.

If the problem persists, it could affect possible class action lawsuits the Canadian smartphone maker faces pertaining to the previous outage.

Google pulls BlackBerry Gmail app

In a short blog update posted on Tuesday, Google says it will stop offering the BlackBerry version of its Gmail app from Nov. 22, and will instead focus on "building a great Gmail experience in the mobile browser," reports the Wall Street Journal.

The company goes on to say that although existing users will still be able to use the app, support like the troubleshooting guide will be discontinued.

RIM responded to the development by releasing a statement saying that BlackBerry's OS incorporates native Gmail support, going on to say that a standalone app is not required.

"The large majority of users who access Gmail on their BlackBerry smart phone already rely on the native support (provided through BlackBerry Internet Service) rather than the separate Gmail app," the statement said.

Google's Gmail is one of the most popular Web-based email services in the world, with an estimated 200 million users. Recently, the Internet giant released a flawed iOS version of its Gmail app which was subsequently pulled from Apple's App Store for repairs.

The latest setbacks for RIM come at a crucial time for the company as it deals with product delays, a sliding stock price and a shrinking share of the mobile market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Have we ever seen the wheels fly off an IT company quite as thoroughly and completely as they've flown off RIM in the past six months? It's like watching the Space Shuttle explode.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Wow, RIM just can't buy a break. They deserve most of the bad things happening to them. But what a bad year 2011 has been for them.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    In one way, I find it sad. They USED to be a good company, with good phones, and great service. But, on the other hand, I don't expect anything other than what is currently happening to them. They have not invested in their own company long term (ex: their OS, their phones, their data network). They honestly did it to themselves. And, at this point, I give it 2 years or less before someone buys the company for the patents that they do hold. It'll either be Apple or Google. Towards the end of my blackberry service, before the VZW iPhone 4 launched, I experienced data outages (email, messenger, internet) all the time. Sometimes it was measured in hours, other times, it was in days. It got so annoying towards the end. It has been common for a very long time, it's just seeing more light now.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    RIM used to be the phone of choice for business people, but the industry evolved with smartphones and left RIM in their dust. RIM refused to adapt (you need a keyboard and Flash) and now their primary market is teenagers and RIM diehards. I agree with the above that they will be gone in a few years, but I doubt Apple will buy them.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Have we ever seen the wheels fly off an IT company quite as thoroughly and completely as they've flown off RIM in the past six months? It's like watching the Space Shuttle explode.

I'd put MCI WorldCom and Global Crossing on the list. Give Nortel the dishonorable mention.

For e-tailers, nothing will probably top Pets.com or Webvan.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Well said! HP a strong second? Sony third? Nokia fourth?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Maybe they will come up with an excuse like "a solar flare effected our servers". Or maybe "A grizzly bear ate our hard drives". And my favorite one is "my dog peed on the blade rack".
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    "RIM suffers another BlackBerry outage"

O MFG

The poor Bastards
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Good thing RIM did all that market research it's clearly payed off. RIM is a model for how to kill a business in record time. It's okay though hundreds of mid and lower level employees will lose their jobs and the higher ups who made the choices that cause the failure will get six to seven figure severance packages and move on to other top paying jobs. Yay?
  • Reply 10 of 16
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Well I called them toast over a year ago, and expect the announcement that RIM has taken on a "strategic partner", or has been, or will be, sold shortly... any day now.

I seriously believe this to come true either by the end of the year or latest Q1-2012.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    just as i get my gf a bloody torch, i knew i should talk her round to an iphone but bbm and a keyboard was a must for her..... i should have argued more now im gonna get a load of abuse..... "you got me a s**t phone blah blah blah yak yak yak" oh well its her own fault... and a lesson learned... but it will be interesting to see when they get bought out and who will take on this mess and make it great(if possible).. But i dont thik we will ever see apple involved in this, they are already years ahead.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bboybazza View Post

just as i get my gf a bloody torch, i knew i should talk her round to an iphone but bbm and a keyboard was a must for her..... i should have argued more now im gonna get a load of abuse..... "you got me a s**t phone blah blah blah yak yak yak" oh well its her own fault... and a lesson learned... but it will be interesting to see when they get bought out and who will take on this mess and make it great(if possible).. But i dont thik we will ever see apple involved in this, they are already years ahead.

If she needed a keyboard then you shoulda gotten her an android phone.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

RIM used to be the phone of choice for business people, but the industry evolved with smartphones and left RIM in their dust. RIM refused to adapt (you need a keyboard and Flash) and now their primary market is teenagers and RIM diehards. I agree with the above that they will be gone in a few years, but I doubt Apple will buy them.

RIM was pushed out to people via corporate IT departments, and was considered by some clueless folks as a status symbol because corporate executives where the first ones "privileged" to get them. At the time there wasn't much in the way of competition with crappy Windows Mobile and Palm phones as the only alternatives. I remember for years wanting to get a smartphone of some sort but finding myself utterly underwhelmed by every single product on the market (before the iPhone.)
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

If she needed a keyboard then you shoulda gotten her an android phone.

She has a crappy motorola android phone with a slide out keyboard and the battery dies all the time, she carries 3 batteries every day so this was not an option besides bbm seemed like a good idea as friends use it.... but now I'm fu**ed!!!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I'd put MCI WorldCom and Global Crossing on the list. Give Nortel the dishonorable mention.

For e-tailers, nothing will probably top Pets.com or Webvan.

Those two were just pure vaporware companies. You can't be a success to disappointment story if your only success was a big IPO but nothing else.

RIM was business mobile comms for almost a decade, nobody else need apply. Until some folks decided maybe the emperor had no clothes, now four years later RIM is no more than a footnote on the way to bankruptcy, with no NeXT over the horizon to bail them out.