Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 with improved iPhone battery life

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

My iPad 2 is showing 5.0.1 9A405

Was a 38MB OTA download. Went smooth.

wow.. incremental update must be working.. iTunes shows its a 800+MB update.... hmm.. I'll do it on the device. 55MB for iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

it's not just about the size. Wifi is more stable than 3g. If you get a corrupted download when it installs it could brick your phone. Would you want that. 99.9% of folks would say no. Because either they don't know how to fix it or just don't want to have to bother with it

He wants to update via 3G because this world is all about instant gratification, therefore, patience is unnecessary nor tolerated. If you ask me, THAT'S what's ridiculous.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

Installed iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and all the bugs that have been driving me crazy are still there:

--Calendar app freezing and crashing on first launch. Second launch takes 5+ seconds. Not until the third launch does it open normally.

--After tapping on three things in the Music app a freeze of several seconds happens.

--Shake to shuffle plays the sound notification, then keeps playing the same song for another 2 seconds before changing the song, where it used to play the chime, then instantly change to the next song

--Launching Messages freezes for about 2 seconds, crazy annoying when all you want to do is send a quick text.

Looks like I am being forced to buy an iPhone 4S just like I was forced to buy an iPhone 4 when iOS 4 was released making my iPhone 3G useless due to glacial performance.

At least I am trying to use the Best Buy buyback program to get $167 in trade-in value, if they ever have stock of the 4S soon.

Looks like you need to restore your phone via iTunes with your phone in DFU mode.
  • Reply 24 of 127
    Made the mistake of syncing and it downloads the entire disc image. I selected download only.

I go to Settings->General-Updates and there is the over the air at just over 39MB.

Hopefully, iTunes becomes aware that the attached device is running iOS 5 and indeed only needs OTA options in the future.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    Quote:

Installed iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and all the bugs that have been driving me crazy are still there:

You have a pretty crazy assortment of problems there. I assume they all persist normally through a phone restart? In any case, you should try a restore from backup, and if that fails, starting from scratch. Your problems aren't reflected in any degree of normalcy.
  • Reply 26 of 127
    Don't notice a difference yet, well see when I get off work.

Just updated OTA btw
  • Reply 27 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post

Looks like you need to restore your phone via iTunes with your phone in DFU mode.

DFU mode = Don't F@#$ Up mode?
  • Reply 28 of 127
    So, Apple addressed by the battery problem and the security bug.

Will the update make the rounds on all the tech sites and local news like the battery bug did? Bet it won't.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    What happened to incremental updates?
  • Reply 30 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

What happened to incremental updates?

I assume you downloaded it in iTunes. iTunes won't give you delta updates. On-device updates are the only delta ones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Often, but it's Device Firmware Update, at least semi-officially.
  • Reply 31 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Close!

Device Firmware Update
  • Reply 32 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

He wants to update via 3G because this world is all about instant gratification, therefore, patience is unnecessary nor tolerated. If you ask me, THAT'S what's ridiculous.

My reason is that I have just transferred a relative from some very old equipment to an iPad to solve both the obsolescence, as well as the fact that they are in a location where DSL and Cable broadband is unavailable. iPad satisfies her computing needs and now she's getting decent bandwidth (she has a Verizon tower relatively close by).

It isn't about instant gratification. It's more about Apple's stated direction for PC-free. To paraphrase, "A lot of our customers just want an iOS device as their ONLY DEVICE".

To which I say, "Yes!". However, broadband modems, routers, Mifi hotspots are all ADDITIONAL devices, by my reckoning. Not to mention additional data plans.

So anyway, I was trying the download on my iPhone to see whether it was going to be feasible for my sister-in-law's iPad out in the boonies.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    Quote:

--Calendar app freezing and crashing on first launch. Second launch takes 5+ seconds. Not until the third launch does it open normally.

--After tapping on three things in the Music app a freeze of several seconds happens.

--Shake to shuffle plays the sound notification, then keeps playing the same song for another 2 seconds before changing the song, where it used to play the chime, then instantly change to the next song

--Launching Messages freezes for about 2 seconds, crazy annoying when all you want to do is send a quick text.

Looks like I am being forced to buy an iPhone 4S just like I was forced to buy an iPhone 4 when iOS 4 was released making my iPhone 3G useless due to glacial performance.

At least I am trying to use the Best Buy buyback program to get $167 in trade-in value, if they ever have stock of the 4S soon.

That sounds like a problem with a phone as a whole as my iPhone4 and my managers 4S do not have such issues. Plug the phone into itunes and factory reset it - fixed my iPhone4 after the original iOS5 update that ruined the battery life.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

So now the Geico mascot can own an iphone 4S, and use Siri just like the rest of us? I would have to guess that Cockney English would also have been a problem for Siri, but no information on whether that has been a problem in the U.K.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the update improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation and the Geico gecko has a British accent. My friend Marc from the UK sounds exactly like the Geico gecko.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    Loving the OTA update thing...

took about 4 or 5 attempts for it to show the update as available, but both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 both updated in around 10 minutes each...

it used to take around 45 minutes per device just to download the old full release updates on my crappy broadband...
  • Reply 36 of 127
    Quote:

Had the same issues. EASY FIX. Plug your phone up to iTunes and do a restore.

When the restore is done set your phone up as a NEW phone.

Do not restore from backup. ( that's where the bug is)

It sucs because you have to set everything back up manually.

But your phone will work flawlessly.

I GUARANTEE IT!

Please make sure you come back after you have don't this to let everyone know if it works or not.

Dueces!
  • Reply 37 of 127
    I guess people on beta 2 have to go through iTunes. No OTA for me.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    So nice! No more iTunes & USB cables needed for upgrades! It all went very smoothly.
  • Reply 39 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenheaven View Post

My strife is with the Notifications though. It takes way too many steps to set a notification:

Press plus.

Type notification (the little arrow that jumps to notification settings should be visible here already to skip a few steps...)

Tap ready/finished/valmis. (Sorry, Finnish)

Tap notification.

Tap remind.

Choose Date or Location (there could be two sets of scroll wheels here already: date and recent locations)

Tap the default date to launch the scroll wheels (why can't they be visible already at this point?)

Scroll the wheels.

Tap ready or whatever.

Tap ready or whatever again.

Same with location-based notifications... Why can't there be like a list of the most used or recent locations? Please. Anyone?

Once Siri is out of "beta", I suspect it will migrate to all capable devices. It is a huge product differentiator and advantage to buying into the Apple universe.
  • Reply 40 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the update improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation and the Geico gecko has a British accent. My friend Marc from the UK sounds exactly like the Geico gecko.

Is he also 3 inches tall and green?