Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 with improved iPhone battery life

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Loving the OTA update thing...

took about 4 or 5 attempts for it to show the update as available, but both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 both updated in around 10 minutes each...

it used to take around 45 minutes per device just to download the old full release updates on my crappy broadband...

Did 4 devices in parallel, all took less than five minutes in total including restarts! Got to hand it to FiOS!
  • Reply 62 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This behavior is not indicative of the iPhone 4S as a model. This is errant behavior of your personal device.

Are you on 5.0.1? Try a clean install.

I haven't installed today's update, but I have been to the Genius bar three times, they have replaced the handset, done software restores, and I have set it up as a "new phone" and manually re-entered the settings. I even got AT&T to give me a new SIM card, in case that was the source of the defect. I realize that most people don't have this problem, but there has been a fairly active thread on Apple's support site about this, so I'm also not the only one. I don't know what's left to try, although I do intend to install the latest update just in case.
  • Reply 63 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

I haven't installed today's update, but I have been to the Genius bar three times, they have replaced the handset, done software restores, and I have set it up as a "new phone" and manually re-entered the settings. I even got AT&T to give me a new SIM card, in case that was the source of the defect. I realize that most people don't have this problem, but there has been a fairly active thread on Apple's support site about this, so I'm also not the only one. I don't know what's left to try, although I do intend to install the latest update just in case.

Who is your email provider? That seems to be the only constant here...
  • Reply 64 of 127
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

Where do I start with this one....

You do realize that Australian users also read articles on the site, don't you?
  • Reply 65 of 127
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

"A lot of our customers just want an iOS device as their ONLY DEVICE".

To which I say, "Yes!". However, broadband modems, routers, Mifi hotspots are all ADDITIONAL devices, by my reckoning.

So is a charger. Or to be more basic: a generator (to produce electricity). You cannot use any electronic device without some source of electricity (except watches with a built-in generator or solar cell). I understand your point, but one could argue that WiFi (at home, at work, at the coffeeshop, at the airport, at the hotel) is an infrastructure not that dissimilar to electricity itself. In the same way that a cellphone network is also an infrastructure.

Quote:

Not to mention additional data plans.

I am not sure what your logic is here. You expected updates to download via the cellphone network but not require any data of your data allowance?

Quote:

So anyway, I was trying the download on my iPhone to see whether it was going to be feasible for my sister-in-law's iPad out in the boonies.

Find a second 'smart' device that can act as mobile hotspot. I might add that my MSP is blanketing urban public spaces with WiFi, which is another workaround (and the same considerations might very well behind that strategy: reduce strain on the cellphone data network).
  • Reply 66 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1) When you get a new handset or do a DFU restore are you testing the device before you push all your backup settings to the device or are you syncing it with your backup and then trying to use it?

2) Off topic: SIM cards have been known to be the cause of a lot of connection issues. Why wouldn't they? They are the only part that is removable by the user yet it's required for the device to function. I look forward to the day that virtual SIMS are used so you don't have to go all MacGyver wit a paperclip to switch SIMS between countries, just pop into Settings to switch the country and carrier.
  • Reply 67 of 127
    Quote:

Interesting. Are there common settings between the people in that thread?

I mean to say, are all the account affected of a certain type? Say POP or IMAP or they're all Exchange-based or something?
  • Reply 68 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I look forward to the day that virtual SIMS are used so you don't have to go all MacGyver wit a paperclip to switch SIMS between countries, just pop into Settings to switch the country and carrier.

Never gonna happen, but wouldn't it be amazing...
  • Reply 69 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Never gonna happen, but wouldn't it be amazing...

I'm betting on this the way Ireland bets on future products: maybe not soon, but one day I'll be right. Just look at the size of the SIM and how much of it isn't used and how little data is stored on the part that is. Apple's A# chips are could get close in size with the next die shrink.
  • Reply 70 of 127
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

So Siri will finally be able to spell "G'day, Mate"?

Being an Australian I just tested this for you.

Ironically, it does.

Hell, it even works for my pet kangaroo.
  • Reply 71 of 127
    Quote:

It isn't about instant gratification. It's more about Apple's stated direction for PC-free. To paraphrase, "A lot of our customers just want an iOS device as their ONLY DEVICE".

I'm pretty sure that a wi-fi router doesn't come within the definition of a 'device' there. The context was obviously that some people don't want to have a computer to sync their iOS device.

Even if your only computing device is an iPad, surely it still makes sense to have a broadband connection and Wi-Fi?! 3G plans with a decent allowance are really expensive compared to standard broadband - not to mention slow. And it's not like most people have to buy a wi-fi router, because ISPs hand them out for nothing.
  • Reply 72 of 127
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Dear apple- for your next update, please add this feature:

From lock screen, when I swipe right, I open the text, email, voicemail, etc (already does this).

But when I swipe left, I can mark the text as read, delete email (great for not reading junk), and mark the call as "seen". The little red "1" still makes me have to open it just to get rid of it... Too much OCD.
  • Reply 73 of 127
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    I just did the update on my brand new (well two weeks old) iPhone 4. Took 10 min or so and all seems well.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

So is a charger. Or to be more basic: a generator (to produce electricity). You cannot use any electronic device without some source of electricity (except watches with a built-in generator or solar cell). I understand your point, but one could argue that WiFi (at home, at work, at the coffeeshop, at the airport, at the hotel) is an infrastructure not that dissimilar to electricity itself. In the same way that a cellphone network is also an infrastructure.

Except, she is already paying for infrastructure via her Verizon data plan. She is paying for 2GB per month. She could switch to a Verizon MiFi, and download the same data over the very same infrastructure. Why should she have purchase a separate device to do this?

Quote:

I am not sure what your logic is here. You expected updates to download via the cellphone network but not require any data of your data allowance?

No, my mention of that had to do with my interpretation that it implied 3GS availability for the incrementals based on what I thought I'd read. It doesn't matter to me whether the small download is charged or not in financial terms.

Quote:

Find a second 'smart' device that can act as mobile hotspot. I might add that my MSP is blanketing urban public spaces with WiFi, which is another workaround (and the same considerations might very well behind that strategy: reduce strain on the cellphone data network).

Yes, I know that would work but the second device would have to use the very same Verizon network she's already using and paying for now.
  • Reply 75 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Dear apple- for your next update, please add this feature:

From lock screen, when I swipe right, I open the text, email, voicemail, etc (already does this).

But when I swipe left, I can mark the text as read, delete email (great for not reading junk), and mark the call as "seen". The little red "1" still makes me have to open it just to get rid of it... Too much OCD.

I think that's a great idea.

I'd also like the option to use a circular pattern on the Lock Screen to adjust the brightness. Clockwise for brighter and counter-clockwise for dimmer. My reasoning is two fold: 1) When you walk into a dark room the screen is very bright but having to access the system, go to Settings and Brightness takes to long and can be disrupting to others, and 2) when you leave a dark room into bright light you can't see anything making it hard to access the system to adjust the brightness to useable levels.
  • Reply 76 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Once Siri is out of "beta", I suspect it will migrate to all capable devices.

Apple: "Siri is exclusive to the iPhone 4S. Non-English language support is in beta."

Media: "Siri is a beta."

iPhone 4 owners: "Oh, Siri's in beta... That means we'll get it once the beta's over!"
  • Reply 77 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

I'm pretty sure that a wi-fi router doesn't come within the definition of a 'device' there. The context was obviously that some people don't want to have a computer to sync their iOS device.

Even if your only computing device is an iPad, surely it still makes sense to have a broadband connection and Wi-Fi?! 3G plans with a decent allowance are really expensive compared to standard broadband - not to mention slow. And it's not like most people have to buy a wi-fi router, because ISPs hand them out for nothing.

As I had stated earlier, she does not have access to other forms of broadband (except perhaps satellite).

And we obviously disagree on "device". Try thinking outside the box to what's driving PC-free. The desire to have the mobile device be a complete and self-contained solution. You may have become inured to the seeming ubiquity of WiFi and broadband availability. And the data modem. And the wireless router. And configuring the wireless router. Not everyone has this available.

We are not retarded; we understand the 2GB data plan that was selected. I would hope that she be able to use 2 percent of that monthly allowance to download an iOS update.
  • Reply 78 of 127
    jkgmjkgm Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k

At least I am trying to use the Best Buy buyback program to get $167 in trade-in value, if they ever have stock of the 4S soon.

Wow, how lazy do you have to be to sell an iPhone 4 to Best Buy for $167 when you can get way more for them on eBay???
  • Reply 79 of 127
    Quote:

My reason is that I have just transferred a relative from some very old equipment to an iPad to solve both the obsolescence, as well as the fact that they are in a location where DSL and Cable broadband is unavailable. iPad satisfies her computing needs and now she's getting decent bandwidth (she has a Verizon tower relatively close by).

It isn't about instant gratification. It's more about Apple's stated direction for PC-free. To paraphrase, "A lot of our customers just want an iOS device as their ONLY DEVICE".

To which I say, "Yes!". However, broadband modems, routers, Mifi hotspots are all ADDITIONAL devices, by my reckoning. Not to mention additional data plans.

So anyway, I was trying the download on my iPhone to see whether it was going to be feasible for my sister-in-law's iPad out in the boonies.

Gotcha. That wasn't really directed towards you but more of a general observation. You have to know what I mean, right?
  • Reply 80 of 127
    I wonder what the battery draining bugs were exactly. Did Apple just turn off some unnecessary background processes within the OS, or was there some poor code running nonstop?