Apple issues first public "over the air" iOS update with 5.0.1

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just after releasing iOS 5.0.1 through iTunes, Apple has made the update available to users via an over the air update, its first "PC-free" update for iOS released to the general public.

Apple introduced over the air OS updates as a feature of iOS 5, enabling users to upgrade their core software without requiring them to connect to a computer. The company released a series of wireless updates to its developers during the testing of iOS 5, but today's update is the first ever released to the general public.

While other mobile platforms have always exclusively used over the updates, Apple kept iOS updates for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad tethered to iTunes, just as it did with earlier embedded OS updates to its iPod devices.

With iOS 5 however, Apple initiated a cloud-enabled "PC-free" model that allows iOS device buyers to configure, update, backup and restore their devices directly to Apple's servers, without requiring a USB connection to a Mac or PC running iTunes.

Unlike other mobile platforms however, Apple distributes the updates itself through its own servers, rather than relying on hardware makers or mobile carriers to distribute the updates. This means that all iOS 5 users can install Apple's updates as soon as they are available, rather than waiting the typical 3-6 months or more that many users wait for an update after it is finished.

In contrast, Google reports that most of its Android users are still using version 2.2, which was first released in the middle of last year, before iPhone 4. Further, the latest Android 4.0 will only be made available to users of certain models introduced over the last year.

Performing an iOS update over the air

To update devices running iOS 5, users open the Settings app and navigate to General/Software Update. The page looks for available updates and if one is available, it presents an overview of what the update contains.

iOS 5.0.1, previously released through iTunes, should now appear for all users who haven't yet applied the update from their computer.

A "learn more" button provides additional details about the update, what devices it supports, and provides a web link to the security update information incorporated in the release. After selecting to download and install the update, a Terms and Conditions page presents legal information about the update and its third party components.

After agreeing to the legalese, a notice recommends plugging in the device while the update is being downloaded and applied, although the updater does not require being plugged in to work. While downloading, a progress bar is displayed. The 55MB 5.0.1 update only takes a couple minutes over a WiFi connection.

After receiving the update, the device verifies the update and begins installing before rebooting. After the update is applied, navigating to the Settings/General/Software update page notes the new version and the lack of any additional updates.

Apple has now started sending push notifications to iOS 5 users indicating that the 5.0.1 update is available for download. After the notification is sent the Settings app is badged with an alert, along with the General and Software Update options, leading users to the over the air update installation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    The whole process went well for my iPhone 4S and a 4. The only item of note was the time it took. There were a two later screens that just seemed to took forever, with the progress bar "stuck" at zero. I waited and waited and eventually it came good. I wondered whether someone inexperienced or impatient would have given up and done something silly? Maybe Apple should consider a text advice to ask upgraders to wait patiently, or a more dynamic progress bar.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    iPad 2 update over the air went through without any problem! =D
  • Reply 3 of 48
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

although the updater does not require being plugged in to work. While downloading, a progress bar is displayed.

It does require at least 50% charge. This is the error message I received on an iPad 1 with 15% charge. (FYI)

UNABLE TO INSTALL UPDATE

Software update requires at least 50% battery, or to be connected to a power source.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Is there no notification that an update is available? Sure, many of us here will find about the update online, but many users who could care less about reading technology forums won't know.

How does Apple notify that an update is available?
  • Reply 5 of 48
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

It does require at least 50% charge. This is the error message I received on an iPad 1 with 15% charge. (FYI)

UNABLE TO INSTALL UPDATE

Software update requires at least 50% battery, or to be connected to a power source.

Just to clarify... it requires that you be at 50% or better for safety, but it doesn't actually USE that much.

I heard it also requires a WiFi connection, but I didn't verify that myself.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:

My wife's iPhone 4 was updated without connection to a charger. It started at 100% and was at 98% after completing the update process. Just for reference. I think the 50% requirement is generous but safe and reasonable.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Updated my iPhone via iTunes and my iPad 2 directly. I think it was actually faster not using iTunes. Everything went smoothly!
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Is there no notification that an update is available? Sure, many of us here will find about the update online, but many users who could care less about reading technology forums won't know.

How does Apple notify that an update is available?

The device periodically "phones home" and will eventually detect an available iOS update; it will show up as a badge in the Settings app icon.

It's just like the App Store app periodically checks for updates to your installed apps and will show available updates as badges in the App Store icon.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

UNABLE TO INSTALL UPDATE

My iPhone had a full charge but it still said it needed to be plugged in to a power source.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Flawless. iPhone 4 and iPad 2.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Updates went smooth as silk on all my families devices:

2 x iPhone 4S

2 x iPhone 3GS

1 x iPad 2

3 x iPad 1

Probably 10 - 15 minutes for all of them.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Tried to help family member upgrade from 4.x to 5.0.1. They failed to do the Transfer of purchases and have never used iTunes for setup (after the initial) and have never backed up using iTunes. Yeah, they had to start from scratch. It's so stressful when people make computery stuff harder than it has to be.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Went smooth as silk. Plugged in the charger to keep it happy though I had more than enough juice.

BTW - never had a battery problem, anyway. I'd changed back some of the location settings which seemed to be different after the original download.

Had beaucoup fun teasing the sole member of our group of blog editors who is down in Oz about reason 4 - about corrections made to ease dictation problems for Australians. :-]

He hadn't yet done the upgrade; but, his comments ran to:

"I wonder if it now understands common words like mate, digger, cobber, fair-dinkum , galah, bilby, strewth, no-wuckers and pommie bastard.

I can never understand why Aussies are regarded as incomprehensible."

Har!
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Tried to help family member upgrade from 4.x to 5.0.1. They failed to do the Transfer of purchases and have never used iTunes for setup (after the initial) and have never backed up using iTunes. Yeah, they had to start from scratch. It's so stressful when people make computery stuff harder than it has to be.

Then the instructions supplied with & during the iOS 5 upgrade were totally ignored.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    I hope the over-the-air 5.0.1 update is smaller than the 810mb file I just downloaded to upgrade to 5.0.1 thru iTunes.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    "It just works!"
  • Reply 17 of 48
    First-time iPhone owner, 4S, here.

I chose to try updating via my company's wi-fi. Big mistake, apparently... post-update, the Phone app hangs when I try placing a call, and doesn't recognize incoming calls.

So, after going through about 1/2-dozen triage techniques, Apple Support has me downloading the entire iOS image, to reinstall it, as we speak. Fingers are crossed. \
  • Reply 18 of 48
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

.. ease dictation problems for Australians. :-]

He hadn't yet done the upgrade; but, his comments ran to:

"I wonder if it now understands common words like mate, digger, cobber, fair-dinkum , galah, bilby, strewth, no-wuckers and pommie bastard.

I can never understand why Aussies are regarded as incomprehensible."

Har!

Made me laugh! No-wuckers - short for "no wucking furries (mate)" - would be the Aussie way to say that the update worked without a hitch. Concise and descriptive, that's the way.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchman View Post

I hope the over-the-air 5.0.1 update is smaller than the 810mb file I just downloaded to upgrade to 5.0.1 thru iTunes.

Reading, Mitchman, you're supposed to read before replying. " The 55MB 5.0.1 update only takes a couple minutes over a WiFi connection." doh!
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Just did it. Took about 10 minutes including a restart. Worked fine.