Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 with improved iPhone battery life

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    I had already done a restore from backup but just did another one and all the problems are still there. Very frustrating. Wish there was a solution.
  • Reply 102 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mahrer96 View Post

This does not sound like an iOS 5 set of issues. I've been using it on my Verizon iPhone 4 since it was release without issue. Your issues might be related to a software conflict of some sort?

I have not installed any new apps since updating to iOS 5. There were no freezing issues with iOS 4

Seems I am just unlucky.
  • Reply 103 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

I have not installed any new apps since updating to iOS 5. There were no freezing issues with iOS 4

Seems I am just unlucky.

Not installing any new apps doesn't mean you aren't getting a SW conflict. Remember, you installed a major new OS version and applied it to your current setup.

You need to backup your data, then put your device un DFU mode and then do a restore. After that, try using it without syncing your backup to the device immediately. Set it up manually. If you are then satisfied you can try syncing your backup. If that messes it up again then you know the issue is in your backup in which case you start over with DFU mode and restore, but this time set up everything from scratch and then go into iTunes Preference to delete your old backups.
  • Reply 104 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) When you get a new handset or do a DFU restore are you testing the device before you push all your backup settings to the device or are you syncing it with your backup and then trying to use it?

I have been syncing and using. I did set it up as a "new phone" and manually entered the mail settings (told iTunes to not sync settings, just contacts and media). I guess I could try entering the mail settings and not syncing anything at all, but eventually I am going to have to sync my contacts and media or the phone won't be of much use to me. Also, of course I need to enter the mail settings, since the mail is the thing causing the problems.

From what I can tell, the other people having the problem are getting their mail in different ways. I'm doing POP3 with a hosting company (using my own domain name) and I know somebody else on the thread mentioned that he or she was using an Exchange server. I can try IMAP, and I could also try turning off SSL, but I feel like these are compromises I shouldn't have to make with a $400 phone.
  • Reply 105 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Being an Australian I just tested this for you.

Ironically, it does.

Why is that ironic?
  • Reply 106 of 127
    My settings button still has the badge saying 1 on it and I've done the over the air update

What's that about
  • Reply 107 of 127
    It figures that in my 4 years of iPhone ownership I've never had a real problem with an OS update. First OTA update and BOOM! I get kicked into Recovery Mode.

This is my punishment for upgrading on the release date (which I NEVER do). I usually wait for others to be the guinea pigs so I don't have to.

"Gentlemen… We can rebuild him. We have the technology."

HOPEFULLY!

• Reply 108 of 127
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Battery issue hasn't been resolved for me. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse

Just give me the option to turn off 3G!!
  • Reply 109 of 127
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*Halleluja chorus*

May I join?
  • Reply 110 of 127
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Well, I have a new iPhone 4S, and the mail software crashes constantly. many times each day. Sometimes I forget, and try to compose an e-mail, and then remember when the software crashes, and I lose everything I've typed. I'd hold off on buying the new phone, if I were you. I'm seriously considering going back to my trusty iPhone3G, which was slower but it worked.

Logon to your webmail and check for any error emails, e.g. undeliverable etc (can be in ANY folders). Delete these and empty your deleted items on the server, again using webmail. Now try the mail app on the iPhone.

This used to be an issue with exchange too but has since been fixed.
  • Reply 111 of 127
    I updated to iOS 5.0.1 last night and I am seeing better battery life.

Although I do have to add that, the location services for setting-timezone is still active all the time.
  • Reply 112 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenheaven View Post

My strife is with the Notifications though. It takes way too many steps to set a notification:

Press plus.

Type notification (the little arrow that jumps to notification settings should be visible here already to skip a few steps...)

Tap ready/finished/valmis. (Sorry, Finnish)

Tap notification.

Tap remind.

Choose Date or Location (there could be two sets of scroll wheels here already: date and recent locations)

Tap the default date to launch the scroll wheels (why can't they be visible already at this point?)

Scroll the wheels.

Tap ready or whatever.

Tap ready or whatever again.

Same with location-based notifications... Why can't there be like a list of the most used or recent locations? Please. Anyone?

No idea what you are talking about. How about I meet you in Kamppi and help you out? PM me.
  • Reply 113 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I was confused until I realized you were referring to Reminders rather than Notifications. Reminders is a feature best used with Siri. Although Apple could optimize the user interface for Reminders the feature set is fairly complete and complex as a result.

In 2012, Siri will support additional languages, including Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Spanish. I hope Siri becomes available in Finnish as well eventually. You seem as proficient with English as many native speakers, have you used Siri in English yet?

I am in Finland and many of my Finnish friends say that after a few days to a week of usage Siri starts to work ok. The problem is that using American English but speaking British English to Siri can cause problems, i.e.. pants verses trousers. Mom verses mum. Siri gets confused and can't understand which to use. As an American living here, I use American English with Siri and it works very well.
  • Reply 114 of 127
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StigsHero View Post

Apple: "Siri is exclusive to the iPhone 4S. Non-English language support is in beta."

Media: "Siri is a beta."

iPhone 4 owners: "Oh, Siri's in beta... That means we'll get it once the beta's over!"

Apple has already stated it will not be coming to other devices...at least not current/past devices.
  • Reply 115 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Apple has already stated it will not be coming to other devices...at least not current/past devices.

*blink*

Where?

Oh, the "currently no plans" line. Okay, I see.
  • Reply 116 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Battery issue hasn't been resolved for me. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse

Just give me the option to turn off 3G!!

I think I'm also having worse battery life.

Last night when I went to bed my iphone was sitting calmly on a table, not plugged in...the battery percentage was probably in the 75% to 85% range...no gps icon on in the upper right...this morning I get up and the battery is down to 25%. Losing 50% of the battery over night in standby mode is not very good. This is all with the new 5.0.1 update installed.
  • Reply 117 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Logon to your webmail and check for any error emails, e.g. undeliverable etc (can be in ANY folders). Delete these and empty your deleted items on the server, again using webmail. Now try the mail app on the iPhone.

Thanks, I will definitely try this.
  • Reply 118 of 127
    I know it's wasn't a dramatic issue on iPad as it was on the 4S, but I tell ya.... I used my iPad 2 from a full charge at 4:30pm yesterday until about 11:30 last night and used about 28-30% of the full charge.. That's a LOT better than it's been over the last few months...I wasn't banging my iPad hard but reasonably average usage...Mail, browsing, multiple calendars, Flipboard, Zite, HBOGO, etc... Pretty good, hey!!

Thanks you crafty Apple elves.....
  • Reply 119 of 127
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    No improvement on my iPhone 4S. I've made two quick phone calls and that's it since I took my phone off the charger. I'm at 94%

Is this normal?
  • Reply 120 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolawren View Post

Has everyone tried turning on all the pref's, Location services and push notifications with the new update,

I don't want to turn everything on yet to only find that the battery life will suck with everything on.

The 'Setting Time Zone' bug still exists for me on 5.0.1. Turning that option on causes the location icon to appear in the status bar all the time.