Briefly: Phil Schiller; iOS 5.0.1 contact bug; $99 iPhone 4S in Puerto Rico

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    I hope the change in Phil's title/role indicates that Tim has acknowledged he shouldn't be presenting at keynotes and that Phil was and is the perfect shoe-filler for Steve Jobs in terms of the keynotes.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Jonny Ive- he built Apple part 2 as much as SJ yet never received the credit according to the book AND has been quite insulted by it hence the past rumors of his departure. SJ used to like to take all his credit , steal his thunder and render him insignificant. If he leaves, Apple is in big trouble. If he wants it Apple must give it to him. Imagine if he goes to Facebook or Google.

Obviously you didn't read the book.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Yes and if you don't include the + and country code you will likely have cross platform issues even in the USA. While Contacts is pretty free form, the world of telephony, other than the USA, adheres to standards.

I guess that is why the US country code is +1. When you are first there is no standard. Just kidding. You obviously have not traveled to many third world countries. There are some really screwed up numbering systems out there.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    I fixed the contact problem by simply turned off contacts in iCloud settings on the iPhone and turned it back on. Numbers were all restored to normal format.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

OBviously not the one you "read".
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:

Reading has never really been his problem... comprehension on the other hand...

Steve describing Ive as his "spiritual partner" and giving Ive more power than anyone else must mean something entirely different to iKol.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Damn. $99 iPhone 4S with unlimited minutes, data and SMS?! Why doesn't the mainland states get these awesome monthly deals with our carriers?

The "mainland states"?

Why not any of the United States?

You do know that Puerto Rico is not a state?
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The "mainland states"?

And this is the single most compelling reason to date for it to become one.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So we can get a $99 iPhone 4S?

Or simply to conform the U.S. to some people's ignorance?
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I dunno... It's kinda nice to have a colony nearby.

Although in a few more years, a summer home in Cuba would be nice too. We even have a base ready to expand and deliver even more useful services there (coastal patrols, customs and who knows what else).

jk
  • Reply 31 of 61
    How does one actually take advantage of OTA? Neither my 4G iPod touch nor my iPhone 4 will update to 5.0.1 OTA. I get a message in iTunes that says:

"Connect this iPhone using a USB cable in order to update or restore its software."

Is there a toggle somewhere in iTunes that lets me use OTA?

Oh, and "gate" comes from "Watergate", for anyone who's wondering about the answer to Psych_guy's question. Yes, the term is waaaaay over used. It's really nonsensical, when you think about it. But the MSM is pretty retarded, and not really capable of original thought, so there you go.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

Although in a few more years, a summer home in Cuba would be nice too. We even have a base ready to expand and deliver even more useful services there (coastal patrols, customs and who knows what else).

jk

Hey, you're joking, but I'm open to annexing them and making Cuba a state if they desire it when they finally get democracy. The last sixty years have been the worst imaginable for them.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:

Love Apple and all but IMO it would be a big mistake to make Wox the new chairman of the board.

Maybe not, Wozniak is an Apple founder after all, and he has different views on a lot of things Apple does (at least so it seems to me). And that might make the difference in the future.

J.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NukemHill View Post

How does one actually take advantage of OTA? Neither my 4G iPod touch nor my iPhone 4 will update to 5.0.1 OTA. I get a message in iTunes that says:

"Connect this iPhone using a USB cable in order to update or restore its software."

Is there a toggle somewhere in iTunes that lets me use OTA?

Oh, and "gate" comes from "Watergate", for anyone who's wondering about the answer to Psych_guy's question. Yes, the term is waaaaay over used. It's really nonsensical, when you think about it. But the MSM is pretty retarded, and not really capable of original thought, so there you go.

It is of course possible to update your iOS devices via iTunes. If you do that it needs a USB cable connected to the computer running iTunes.

But over the air updates must be initiated from your iOS device: disconnect from the USB cable and go to settings, iCloud, (scroll to the bottom) Storage & Backup, and switch iCloud Backup to on.

You must have a charge of over 50%, otherwise the software does the download but refuses to install.

J.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drakkoss View Post

I have two of the 4S phones and there are four or five people that have them at work. No one that I know of is having issues with the battery. I also had the Iphone 4 (before I upgraded to the 4s) and carried that phone around naked in my pocket - never had an issue with the antenna - or dropped calls.

There have never been any real battery issues. Just a few loud complainers.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Anyone willing to bet on the number of updates we will get between now and iOS 6?

So far, two are certain. The one just released, and the one needed to fix what it broke. But they will both be 5.1.x updates.

Siri is certain to need lots of them. ICS is very recent, so it is unlikely that Apple will get pressure from Android in the near term. Most of the missing stuff on the iPhone is hardware related, so software updates won't make it 4G, or provide NFC, or enlarge the screen. But that just means that more software innovation is needed prior to the iPhone5.

The factors go both ways.

My guess is 4. We will see iOS 5.4.x before we are done.

Are you going to keep track?
  • Reply 37 of 61
    It is of course possible to update your iOS devices via iTunes. If you do that it needs a USB cable connected to the computer running iTunes.

But over the air updates must be initiated from your iOS device: disconnect from the USB cable and go to settings, iCloud, (scroll to the bottom) Storage & Backup, and switch iCloud Backup to on.

You must have a charge of over 50%, otherwise the software does the download but refuses to install.

J.

Thanks. I've started the backup process. Does the update happen automatically as a part of the backup process?
  • Reply 38 of 61
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Does anybody know who is VP for OS X? Scott is VP for iOS, there is a hardware VP, an internet services VP, etc. but no OS X VP. Or is OS X to be renamed to iOS as well?

G
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Does anybody know who is VP for OS X? Scott is VP for iOS, there is a hardware VP, an internet services VP, etc. but no OS X VP.

We haven't had one since Bertrand Serlet quit.

Quote:

Or is OS X to be renamed to iOS as well?

Nonsense.

It being completely discontinued, on the other hand, doesn't seem so insane since Apple let its best guy just GO and didn't replace him.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The "mainland states"?

It is a US territory and Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Yes, I know it is not a state (I never said it was) since my wife is from Puerto Rico and I visit her family there a few times a year. I doubt even most 4th graders would even think that Puerto Rico is a state. Most people would probably assume it is a sovereign country.

I am not sure why you are trying to derail an iPhone related thread though.