Logitech confirms no plans for new Google TV Revue after $100 million bath

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Sure it did: Apple TV. It's just that, as Steve put it, Apple TV is a hobby. Google thought they could take the ball and run with it, but I think Steve saw something they didn't. Now, it's come back to haunt them.

Apple isn't losing money on the Apple TV is it? Selling them for $99, you'd think something gotta give. At best they are selling them at break-even.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Apple isn't losing money on the Apple TV is it? Selling them for $99, you'd think something gotta give. At best they are selling them at break-even.

Hobbies cost money. Otherwise, it'd be a business.

You're welcome.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He candidly admitted that last year's holiday launch was "a mistake of implementation of a gigantic nature."

I would not be quite so polite if I were to characterize this blunder.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

What is your reasoning for Apple, at best, breaking even the AppleTV?

THe 8GB iPod Touch is $199. Remove the battery, the Retina Display, glass, and all need to make it very thin and durable to through around in your pocket or purse and you could have an iOS device that is selling for $99 for a profit. Granted, not at the same profit their other iOS-based products have, but still well about the break even line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I would not be quite so polite if I were to characterize this blunder.

I guess I understand when posters here expect Apple to release a major new product in late November or December, but I can't imagine why Logitech would have thought it was a good move.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

With none of the Google Android handset makers making any real money, I wonder when that house of cards will fall?

Actually, Samsung is making good money off Android. However, it is to be seen how long that lasts. First it was Motorola who was making money off Android, and then HTC replaced them, and Moto fell back into making losses. Now Samsung has replaced HTC, and HTC's profits are also dropping with Samsung's rise.

It seems like there is room for only 1 or maybe 2 handset makers to make decent money off Android at a time.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Admitting mistakes, instead of fixing them behind the scenes is not an impressive quality in a CEO.

My view is that the CEO admitted to, and fixed the mistake of, Logitech's imprudent reliance on Google. Google is responsible for fixing the market-driven tech issues.

Whether intentionally, or inadvertently, (I suspect the former) the CEO has publicly applied pressure on Google; possibly because "behind the scenes" fix discussions bore little fruit. (reminiscent of Apple's issues over Flash with Adobe)
  • Reply 27 of 50
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Pre-mature Product-U-LA-tion.

Launch a product without thinking it through can cost you.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

LG appears poised to step in with GoogleTV integrated into the TV itself rather than standalone.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...n-january.html

I don't think the SOLUTION to the Google TV is a Google TV that has a TV that no longer works because the Google TV can't play that content you wanted to watch from that vendor.

Many people still can't change the time on their VCR -- and the VCR is almost extinct.

Jobs was right; until you can get all the gadgets out of the living room, and have an interface that doesn't require more fiddling around with gadgets -- the Smart TV is a wash.

However, we probably only have to wait until next year when Apple solves it with Siri, or some other AI type device.

>> The OTHER part of the problem will be content, but that only takes a company NOT trying to force their own "shop" (like iTunes only) onto the customer. Make it provider neutral or it won't be accepted.

>> And Jobs is probably horrified as well as pleased that Apple would take over the living room. He probably hates the idea of a new generation of couch potatoes because they can now ask Siri; "Get me everything with naked womin that appears this week, but I don't have to pay for..."
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Pre-mature Product-U-LA-tion.

Launch a product without thinking it through can cost you.

This is like the AUTOMATIC thinking that you "couldn't go broke selling things that worked with Microsoft" -- which was preceded by "you can't go broke selling IBM." Now it's Google.

I'm sure that eventually, "You can't go broke selling things that work with the iOS platform" will be the norm, and THAT is the time you sell you shares of Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    MS would never give up. Even of its losses in the billions.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

IAlso since the google tv has an hdmi in I can do things like play my police scanner app while say my tv show is on commercial.

Having multiple HDMI in ports on an AppleTV was an idea I had to make the TV more connected and put the AppleTV at the front of your TV viewing, not an an after thought. This would make the TV just a dumb monitor that you never adjust for anything. Much like an A/V receiver is for home theaters, but with an AppleTV OS built in.

Outside of Apple doing that Apple will need to have agreements with the content owners if they want to make any real headway. They've been struggling with that since at least 2006 when first preview demoed the 'iTV'.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Android is what's propping up Samsung right now as they're taking losses in other divisions, and HTC is seeing 100%+ quarterly increases to revenue AND profit.

Just to be clear, that is 100% YoY and not QoQ ad implied.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Having multiple HDMI in ports on an AppleTV was an idea I had to make the TV more connected and put the AppleTV at the front of your TV viewing, not an an after thought. This would make the TV just a dumb monitor that you never adjust for anything. Much like an A/V receiver is for home theaters, but with an AppleTV OS built in.

Outside of Apple doing that Apple will need to have agreements with the content owners if they want to make any real headway. They've been struggling with that since at least 2006 when first preview demoed the 'iTV'.

exactly. an HDMI pass-thru for your CATV/Sat source is essential for ATV 3. with apps fron the cableco (eg, the Xfinity and TiVo apps) integated into a totally new Remote app, like magazine apps are into the Newsstand app, that enable you to control those boxes from your iDevice.

the Remote app now is awful - it's just a trackpad. it needs a total makeover.

and Apple also needs to get rid of the ATV IR remote completely. force all ATV 3 users to use their iDevice - and take advantage of AirPlay/app Mirroring too.

I know many here and elsewhere keep emphasizing "content, content, content." but it is clear now the major content owners WILL NEVER LET GO OF IT and allow Apple or Google or anyone to sell it directly to consumers at any decent price. they will however put 'access' apps for it on iOS that they control and price. and all the independent content creators - all those other cable channels - WILL take advantage of iOS to distribute their content via their own apps too.

the whole goal is to never need to pick up any remote control at all. just your iThing. which, btw, you can talk to. and no split screens or PIP on your HDTV. instead you have a second UI and extra content screen to use that you hold in your hand.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

exactly. an HDMI pass-thru for your CATV/Sat source is essential for ATV 3. with apps fron the cableco (eg, the Xfinity and TiVo apps) integated into a totally new Remote app, like magazine apps are into the Newsstand app, that enable you to control those boxes from your iDevice.

the Remote app now is awful - it's just a trackpad. it needs a total makeover.

and Apple also needs to get rid of the ATV IR remote completely. force all ATV 3 users to use their iDevice - and take advantage of AirPlay/app Mirroring too.

I know many here and elsewhere keep emphasizing "content, content, content." but it is clear now the major content owners WILL NEVER LET GO OF IT and allow Apple or Google or anyone to sell it directly to consumers at any decent price. they will however put 'access' apps for it on iOS that they control and price. and all the independent content creators - all those other cable channels - WILL take advantage of iOS to distribute their content via their own apps too.

the whole goal is to never need to pick up any remote control at all. just your iThing. which, btw, you can talk too. and no split screens or PIP on your HDTV. instead you have a second UI and extra content screen to use that you hold in your hand.

Does BlueTooth 4.0 offer up an adequate IR replacement that is fast enough to initiate from a sleep state in the remote and power efficient enough that it doesn't become inconvenient by requiring frequent charging or battery replacements?
  • Reply 35 of 50
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    The new Apple TV just works. Apple has built a reputation and has been able to sell the Apple TV because of it. Other companies they never think the way Apple has. They put deadlines on the product and then hire people who think corporate minded. Really this is nothing but a joke to Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Is it too soon to claim there's a Google reality distortion field nowdays?
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Esoom View Post

Is it too soon to claim there's a Google reality distortion field nowdays?

I think that being able to claim that a Reality Distortion Field exists for an entity is contingent on the fact that the RDF actually works.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Google's middle name is beta. I think if the Logitech CEO did his homework on this deal he would have predicted this.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    The reason iOS and Apple as a whole are successful is that they control the whole eco-system. Apple controls the relationship with the owners of the phones, the computers, and the i...'s, this is huge regarding customer satisfaction and updates. As a customer you want to stay with an Apple product because "it just works" and when there is an issue there will be an update that you WILL get from Apple. Windows phones didn't get updates because the telco's were the gatekeeper and wouldn't provide them same issue w/Android. This creates dissatisfaction until you "have" to upgrade from frustration which may or may not be another Windows or Android device and may or may not be from the same manufacturer. This is exact the opposite of the Apple philosophy where you want to upgrade to a new Apple product (brand loyalty that is earned). If you look into the numbers of "upgraders" you will find that it extremely rare that an iPhone owner switches to Android but that the opposite can not be said.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Also, it's rather sad that AI feels the need to post about this story and not about Samsung getting access to iOS source code by court order. One story is about Apple, the other isn't.

Can you post a link to this? I ask as the only thing a search turns up as recent news about Apple/Samsung and court orders is Apple being ordered to share its details of its agreements/subsidies with Australian phone network providers.