Briefly: Phil Schiller; iOS 5.0.1 contact bug; $99 iPhone 4S in Puerto Rico

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NukemHill View Post

How does one actually take advantage of OTA?

Settings > General > Sotware Update.

Quote:

Neither my 4G iPod touch nor my iPhone 4 will update to 5.0.1 OTA. I get a message in iTunes that says:

"Connect this iPhone using a USB cable in order to update or restore its software."

But you don't connect it to the computer so you should not be seeing anything In iTunes.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We haven't had one since Bertrand Serlet quit.

Hmm, what does that mean?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It (OS X) being completely discontinued, on the other hand, doesn't seem so insane since Apple let its best guy just GO and didn't replace him.

Apple without a Mac? What should I use for 'truck', Windows?
  • Reply 43 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

It is a US territory and Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Yes, I know it is not a state (I never said it was)

But you did write "mainland states" for some reason, implying that non-mainland states had a $99 price. The price on the non-mainland states (Hawaii & Alaska) is the same as the mainland states.

Quote:

I am not sure why you are trying to derail an iPhone related thread though.

Just trying to get some clarification about your first post, which tossed in some irrelevant info ("mainland").

But no worries here...
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Yes and if you don't include the + and country code you will likely have cross platform issues even in the USA. While Contacts is pretty free form, the world of telephony, other than the USA, adheres to standards.

Part of the fear of using +1 and all that stems from the old days of analog phone lines and long distance charges.

Historically, if you could dial a phone number without a "1" in front, the call was not long distance. If it WAS a long distance call, the network would say "Please dial a 1 or 0 before callling this number.". It was basically a way of telling the phone network "access the long distance switch".

This is all in the past, of course, but for those of us who remember that, there's a psychological barrier to dialing +1; +1 basically means "I am going to have to pay for this call." You youngsters of course probably have no freakin' idea what I'm talking about.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Love Apple and all but IMO it would be a big mistake to make Wox the new chairman of the board.

Agreed, what about Ive? I have a lot of faith in Jonny Ive...
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Does this mean that John Sculley is out of the running...
  • Reply 47 of 61
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

So far, two are certain. The one just released, and the one needed to fix what it broke. But they will both be 5.1.x updates.

Siri is certain to need lots of them. ICS is very recent, so it is unlikely that Apple will get pressure from Android in the near term. Most of the missing stuff on the iPhone is hardware related, so software updates won't make it 4G, or provide NFC, or enlarge the screen. But that just means that more software innovation is needed prior to the iPhone5.

The factors go both ways.

My guess is 4. We will see iOS 5.4.x before we are done.

Are you going to keep track?

Sure but I think it will be much higher.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Maybe not, Wozniak is an Apple founder after all, and he has different views on a lot of things Apple does (at least so it seems to me). And that might make the difference in the future.

J.

Wozniak deserves all the respect in the world. However he is not a chairman of the board type. It would be really awesome if he was, but he's not. I'm sure he knows this.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

First we had Antennagate (question: how many of you understand why we put "gate" at the end of any scandal that comes up? Which I'm sick of by the way), and that turned out to be nothing, and imho a coordinated effort by Apple's competition to knock back interest in the phone.

Now we have Batterygate (not spoken yet, but you will hear it soon I predict) and Contactgate. The media seem to be fanning the flames of these two "problems" too. See CNET and other media outlets. Message boards seem to be flooded by one time posters all decrying how horrible the phone is now. Again, another coordinated attack to knock back interest in the phone.

So here's my personal observations of my iPhone 4s: Sat in standby mode while I watched the last Harry Potter movie and the news. I lost maybe 3% of a full battery, over 3.5 hours. But I have turned off all unneeded apps (games, some utilities I don't need, like Airplay). The phone, email, messaging, Facebook are all on. I haven't fooled with any of the other "fixes" doled out recently.

During that time my brother and my sister called me. Both of their names and pictures came up as I have them in the Contacts.

Problems and complaints? None from me.

Why are you or anyone else "turning things off" to deal with supposed "battery issues"?

That is not how these devices operate. They do not ship with a bunch of useless services turned on running in the background.

Turning things off = not dealing with the problem.

1. Calibrate the damn battery.

2. If it doesn't fix it, return it.

3. If you don't realize that using the phone = battery dain, don't use one.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

First we had Antennagate (question: how many of you understand why we put "gate" at the end of any scandal that comes up? Which I'm sick of by the way), and that turned out to be nothing, and imho a coordinated effort by Apple's competition to knock back interest in the phone.

Now we have Batterygate (not spoken yet, but you will hear it soon I predict) and Contactgate. The media seem to be fanning the flames of these two "problems" too. See CNET and other media outlets. Message boards seem to be flooded by one time posters all decrying how horrible the phone is now. Again, another coordinated attack to knock back interest in the phone.

So here's my personal observations of my iPhone 4s: Sat in standby mode while I watched the last Harry Potter movie and the news. I lost maybe 3% of a full battery, over 3.5 hours. But I have turned off all unneeded apps (games, some utilities I don't need, like Airplay). The phone, email, messaging, Facebook are all on. I haven't fooled with any of the other "fixes" doled out recently.

During that time my brother and my sister called me. Both of their names and pictures came up as I have them in the Contacts.

Problems and complaints? None from me.

The main issue I had was iCloud push mail not working for the past few weeks. iOS 5.0.1 seems to have fixed that. I get my reassuring mail notification badge in the morning. Before it wouldn't push overnight (and other times during the day).

+1 to Eddy Cue or whoever managed to fix it.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Like most creative people, especially highly design-oriented (as opposed to other kinds of creativity eg. strategic, linguistic, etc.) all he needs is to be given his space to do his thing and a direct line of reporting to the head honcho. "Reporting" is probably not even the right word.

As mentioned in the biography, Ive having a "special status" to always have direct one-on-one interaction with Steve was critical to both of them.

Ive was also very capable in dealing with Steve, apparently according to Ive by having near constant iterations. Unlike other designers which tinker then release results in "review stages", Jon and Steve would constantly tweak designs, play with different shapes, etc.

It's probably best for Ive not to be involved in trying to run the company. Product is his forte, and he is probably one of the closest to his and Steve's collective visions of the future.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Like most creative people, especially highly design-oriented (as opposed to other kinds of creativity eg. strategic, linguistic, etc.) all he needs is to be given his space to do his thing and a direct line of reporting to the head honcho.

As mentioned in the biography, Ive having a "special status" to always have direct one-on-one interaction with Steve was critical to both of them.

Ive was also very capable in dealing with Steve, apparently according to him by having near constant iterations. Unlike other designers which tinker then release results in "review stages", Jon and Steve would constantly tweak designs, play with different shapes, etc.

It's probably best for Ive not to be involved in trying to run the company. Product is his forte, and he is probably one of the closest to his and Steve's collective visions of the future.

Poor Jonny Ive, cringing on the sidelines at the keynotes, according to the book, as Jobs made it seem as if the designs were from his brain.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Poor Jonny Ive, cringing on the sidelines at the keynotes, according to the book, as Jobs made it seem as if the designs were from his brain.

Yes, it probably was tough to handle, but more interestingly, he stuck by Steve for over a decade.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

So far, two are certain. The one just released, and the one needed to fix what it broke. But they will both be 5.1.x updates.

Siri is certain to need lots of them. ICS is very recent, so it is unlikely that Apple will get pressure from Android in the near term. Most of the missing stuff on the iPhone is hardware related, so software updates won't make it 4G, or provide NFC, or enlarge the screen. But that just means that more software innovation is needed prior to the iPhone5.

The factors go both ways.

My guess is 4. We will see iOS 5.4.x before we are done.

Are you going to keep track?

I think Apple will barrow some of the ideas in Android 4.0, I would not be surprised if they place data tracking in one of the upcoming updates for iOS 5. They may also put in Panoramic camera on it also. Both of those are some features that don't need any additions to the hardware and the first is going to be pretty useful. (Data tracking may however need more ram.)
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Just trying to get some clarification about your first post, which tossed in some irrelevant info ("mainland").

If I had the time, I'd watch your posts until you made a slight error or failed to substantiate a fact.

Let this drop. You're just making yourself look foolish.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

If I had the time, I'd watch your posts until you made a slight error or failed to substantiate a fact.

Then you'd ask me to clarify?

Great!

When posting in forums, it's nice to be able to understand what someone is writing about.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Then you'd ask me to clarify?

Great!

When posting in forums, it's nice to be able to understand what someone is writing about.

Or whining about. hehe

Seriously though, we all make mistakes but I don't understand why one would take the time and effort to post if not in an effort to convey a point as clearly as possible.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Or whining about. hehe

Seriously though, we all make mistakes but I don't understand why one would take the time and effort to post if not in an effort to convey a point as clearly as possible.

Understood & agreed.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Why are you or anyone else "turning things off" to deal with supposed "battery issues"?

That is not how these devices operate. They do not ship with a bunch of useless services turned on running in the background.

Turning things off = not dealing with the problem.

1. Calibrate the damn battery.

2. If it doesn't fix it, return it.

3. If you don't realize that using the phone = battery dain, don't use one.

Assume for a second that a bug introduced with iOS 5 were to cause the time zone detection to poll the GPS quite often and thus lead to a noticeably reduced battery life. Your suggestion seems to be to return the iPhone (which naturally only works for those still within the return period) and to live without an iPhone until Apple has solved the issue.

Sometimes, workarounds are the better solution to just to pretending the problem does not exist or to fully throw out a product.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    I've got a Verizon iPhone 4S, which I updated to 5.0.1 OTA. I have had no issues with contacts being recognized. Texts and calls show the contact's name and/or picture without exception...