Logitech confirms no plans for new Google TV Revue after $100 million bath

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The only thing propping up that house of cards today is their successful search advertising business. Unravel that, and the rest will fall.

I think that is why Google was crying about Siri just the other day.....
  • Reply 42 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gallicus View Post

Can you post a link to this? I ask as the only thing a search turns up as recent news about Apple/Samsung and court orders is Apple being ordered to share its details of its agreements/subsidies with Australian phone network providers.

Do you know how to use a search engine?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...dge-rules.html

Quote:

In the Australian suit, Samsung also sought the source code for the iPhone 4S firmware to support its case that Apple infringes its patents for wireless transmissions. Apple has turned over 220 pages of documents relating to the source code, Fox said.

Samsung said the source-code disclosure wasn?t enough because a file was missing. The company sought an order for Apple to produce the documents.

?Someone out there is attempting to obfuscate,? Samsung?s lawyer Cynthia Cochrane told the judge.

Bennett deferred judgment on Samsung?s request for the additional source-code material and said she would deal with it on Nov. 11, if the two sides can?t reach an agreement in the meantime.

And then:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/11/2...ringement-case
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

I think that is why Google was crying about Siri just the other day.....

• Reply 44 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think he was agreeing with your assessment.

PS: OMG that kitty is so damn adorable.

PPS: I see your kitty and raise you this one (points for knowing who's new kitten this belongs to)
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Haa hahaha! I'm enjoying watching Google TV crash and burn.

That's really really sad.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...according to one analyst, Apple's TV hobby could go "pro" if it incorporated iOS with Siri and FaceTime into a high-definition television set.

I don't think Siri will be Apple TV's killer feature.

According to Gruber of Daring Fireball, Apple's future TV paradigm will most likely be based on the app model.

Imagine turning on your Apple TV and getting a home screen much like the iPhone: an icon grid of 16 of your favorite tv shows and a dock of 4 persistent icons to the left (because we're in landscape orientation).

The dock will have live tv, Youtube, music, and the iTunes store. The grid of 16 will be your favorite tv shows &/ films, one app for each show/film. And you can have multiple pages of these grids, like you do on the iPhone.

Because each show/film has its own app, it will allow each app to have its own unique look, function and content. But the basics are: in the app, you'll get a list of episodes broken down by season, you'll get behind-the-scenes videos & mini-games, and maybe a forum-like space to discuss topics with other viewers. And how will you enter text? Dictate to Siri.

The above is just an off-the-top-of-my-head scenario. But I do think that if Steve envisioned a very simple interface for Apple's future TV, that it will be an app-centric UI.

Looking forward to seeing Apple re-invent the tv.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Have to hand it to Logitech's CEO for not blaming Google b/c I surely would have. I got the Google TV shortly after launch (for $189 through Dish.) The hardware was very nice and it was nice to be able to search for shows using the keyboard. However, other than that it was a waste. The Google software was awful. Other than search, GMail is Google's other biggest product and it wasn't even integrated into Google TV. I waited almost a year thinking they would update it eventually but they didn't.

I know they now have Google TV 2.0 but that first experience with Google in the CE realm has put me off them for good. You just can't trust they will commit to their products. They throw out beta's and see if they take and if they don't then they just move on.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

. . . I know they now have Google TV 2.0 but that first experience with Google in the CE realm has put me off them for good. You just can't trust they will commit to their products. They throw out beta's and see if they take and if they don't then they just move on.

And yet they very recently updated to v2.x, continuing their commitment to Google TV.\

First iterations of new services would be expected to need an update or two before they're well-received wouldn't they?
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And yet they very recently updated to v2.x, continuing their commitment to Google TV.\

First iterations of new services would be expected to need an update or two before they're well-received wouldn't they?

I'd have to disagree there. The iPad was new and was well received right off the bat. So was the iPhone, iPod, etc. But still, updates came for those products in a timely, predictable manner. Google TV released a beta product but sold it as a full-fledged and finished product. Being that it was a beta and was extremely limited in what it could do, one could expect frequent updates to add functionality and polish. I had mine almost a year and not one single update was given. Even worse, Google gave no information about impending updates.

Yes, they've now released v2.0 but it still has the same issues, just a prettier interface. See this "glowing" review: http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/03/goo...etting-closer/
    But the limited amount of available services means that it?s mostly an alternative front-end to Netflix and Amazon. It looks and works great, but this smart guide eventually dumps users into the other apps anyway.

During an interview with Google TV?s head, Mario Queiroz, he stated to me that an API is planned for this search so it should grow and improve overtime ? at least in theory. That?s the problem with Google TV: In theory it?s great. It sounds like a great service until you use it and find the hassle isn?t compensated by any real value.
    2 years old (?) and it's promise is still all in theory. All that money they've got and all they came up with is a youtube/netflix port. That's pretty sad.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PPS: I see your kitty and raise you this one (points for knowing who's new kitten this belongs to)

Could that be a grandchild of yours? Just curious... Indeed, very cute. Those eyes... of both kittens. Yep, adorable is the right word.

Cheers,

PhilBoogie

PS: while replying I see the URL from that image...'Taylor Swift' She's cute as well. Haven't heard her country singing, but then again, I have only heard of the name Garth Brooks, never heard his music either...