'Daunting' global search for new retail chief may prompt Apple to hire internally

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Obviously, we don't know the details, but it's hard to understand how someone could find the job of being a retail chief for JC Penny more fulfilling than Apple.

He's not becoming the "retail chief" for J.C. Penny - he's the new CEO. Big difference.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    will there be a little apple store area in all the JCP's now??? Do they even have electronics? I have not stepped inside A JCP in 25 years (and it's right down the street).
  • Reply 23 of 27
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    First, let's get the spelling. It's J.C. Penney.

JCP offers a terrific opportunity for an innovative retailing professional like Johnson, who made his bones at Target before joining Apple. Although in the second-tier among national clothing and home goods retailers, JCP has some strengths - relatively modern stores, plus a continuing reputation for solid value, quality and customer service in moderately priced goods. Johnson's opportunities lie in upsetting and remaking a rather boring, mature industry, thus vaulting Penney back into the top tier in its business while improving operating results and financial performance. Kohl's will be one of its principal competitors in the coming years. Sears/Kmart, Macy's, Saks and Dillard's are ripe for Penney's to steal their business if Johnson plays his cards right. He'll avoid playing in the same sandbox as Target and WalMart.

The innovative skill set that Johnson honed at Apple is what an established retailer like JCP needs.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Starting off with a personal attack early this week, yet you'll cry foul when anyone disagrees with you.

Your history of posts and reputation speak for you. Don't let the unpleasant look of the stain get you down...stains wash away in the end.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Starting off with a personal attack early this week

It's rare for me, Pot.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Starting off with a personal attack early this week, yet you'll cry foul when anyone disagrees with you.

pot, this is kettle...
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Target and the Gap are two of my favorite stores because they are designed so well. I hate going into JCPenny and avoid it it at all cost. It's too big and sells stuff I don't want. That guy has his work cut out for him at JCP.