First! Welcome to iCloud!

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
Because I was asked to.

And now to be on topic of the subforum as a whole, I hope this place expands in conjunction with expanded features of iCloud and the triumphant return of iDisk (or a differently-named counterpart that works better).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I love and use iDisk nearly every day. One thing that I really like is being able to upload really large files and the ability to share them across the web with friends and family. My brother-in-law switched to Mac and needed a copy of Office. I sent him a download link and he was in business in no time.

With iCloud, everything is so convenient. I back up everything(minus the camera roll). And I've restored my iPhone and iPad from iCloud at least 5 times just to play around with the feature.

iTunes match is great. I love having access to my entire library plus music videos on the go. I hardly ever use Pandora now. I just tell Siri to play my music and it's like I get to rediscover my music all over again.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Thanks for giving iCloud its own forum as I seem to be having a terrible time understanding parts of iCloud. I have an iPhone 4 and a MacBook Pro. Both are up to date with the latest OS. I don't have any of the iWork apps on my phone and the iWork that I have on my Mac is still version 8. I have no problem accessing Mail, Calendar and Contacts in iCloud, but I don't see any documents.

Does iCloud only work with the latest version of iWork apps on the iPhone and Mac? I thought I could work with my current iWork 8 documents on my Mac and also access them in iCloud. But when i go to iWork in iCloud, my only options are to Learn More or Get xxx for iOS. The iCloud pages on Apple's web site all seem to talk about iOS devices, but I only want to use my documents between my MacBook Pro and iCloud. Not possible?

Then there is the iCloud preferences in System Preferences. Everything is checked except Photo Stream (which I don't want checked) and Find My Mac, which I DO want checked, but is grayed out and says "Administrator authorization required". Fine, but how do I authorize it? There's no button or lock/unlock icon. But even still, in iCloud, I CAN Find my Mac. It shows it. So how is that possible?

Lastly, iTunes Match. Is it available yet? My AppleTV (I forgot to mention I have that too) says to turn it on in iTunes, but it still says Coming Soon in the iTunes store. Postulant, how are you using it?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:

I thought I could work with my current iWork 8 documents on my Mac and also access them in iCloud.

You should be able to, I imagine. Though you'd have to use ONLY iWork '08 to edit them on any device to which you then download the files, otherwise it'll upgrade to iWork '09 compatibility.

Quote:

But when i go to iWork in iCloud, my only options are to Learn More or Get xxx for iOS.

What, this page?

Quote:

The iCloud pages on Apple's web site all seem to talk about iOS devices, but I only want to use my documents between my MacBook Pro and iCloud. Not possible?

Of course it is.

Quote:

Lastly, iTunes Match. Is it available yet? My AppleTV (I forgot to mention I have that too) says to turn it on in iTunes, but it still says Coming Soon in the iTunes store. Postulant, how are you using it?

It isn't available yet; it's being wiped for developers today, hinting to a launch soon.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You should be able to, I imagine. Though you'd have to use ONLY iWork '08 to edit them on any device to which you then download the files, otherwise it'll upgrade to iWork '09 compatibility.

What, this page?

Of course it is.

It isn't available yet; it's being wiped for developers today, hinting to a launch soon.

That screen shot is not exactly what I see. Instead of the linen background with No Documents, I see more of an ad for "iCloud for Numbers", or "iCloud for Pages", depending on what tab I'm on. I also don't have the "Settings" icon in the upper right page as shown in your screen shot. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? How exactly do you get the documents up to the cloud? I thought just having "Documents" selected in System Preferences > iCloud would do it.

But even in your screen shot, do you see how it tells you to "Launch Pages on your iOS device" "...or upload documents here." What about launching Pages on your Mac? And how do you upload documents from that page you're showing? This is what I find confusing.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

That screen shot is not exactly what I see. Instead of the linen background with No Documents, I see more of an ad for "iCloud for Numbers", or "iCloud for Pages", depending on what tab I'm on.

Oh. Cool. Okay, first you have to install the relevant iWork application on an iOS device and activate that with iCloud. Then you can access it from your computer.

It's. The. Stupidest. Thing. Imaginable.

Quote:

How exactly do you get the documents up to the cloud?

From a computer, you click that Settings icon and choose Upload Document. But, again, you have to do what I said above first.

Quote:

I thought just having "Documents" selected in System Preferences > iCloud would do it.

Think about that for a second. You have documents in thousands of places across your computer. How would iCloud know what you want synced and what you don't?

Now, Apple's current solution is pretty dang terrible, by which I mean it's primitive. You have to manually upload from your computer, and if you make any changes on an iOS device, you have to manually download it from iCloud and replace your computer's file to see those changes committed.

And you have to manually download it to any other computer, too. It doesn't just show up there.

And you have to manually upload it from a computer every time you MAKE a change there.

People want iDisk back because it worked as a NAS drive. You didn't have to deal with this nonsense; you had a file hierarchy on that disk on the server. Granted, you had to get used to putting all your files in the iDisk path instead of the path on your hard drive, but for hands-free, no-thought-needed syncing, it was the best.

We'll see that return to iCloud.

And I only say that with such conviction because of how UTTERLY STUPID it is right now.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh. Cool. Okay, first you have to install the relevant iWork application on an iOS device and activate that with iCloud. Then you can access it from your computer.

It's. The. Stupidest. Thing. Imaginable.

From a computer, you click that Settings icon and choose Upload Document. But, again, you have to do what I said above first.

Think about that for a second. You have documents in thousands of places across your computer. How would iCloud know what you want synced and what you don't?

Now, Apple's current solution is pretty dang terrible, by which I mean it's primitive. You have to manually upload from your computer, and if you make any changes on an iOS device, you have to manually download it from iCloud and replace your computer's file to see those changes committed.

And you have to manually download it to any other computer, too. It doesn't just show up there.

And you have to manually upload it from a computer every time you MAKE a change there.

People want iDisk back because it worked as a NAS drive. You didn't have to deal with this nonsense; you had a file hierarchy on that disk on the server. Granted, you had to get used to putting all your files in the iDisk path instead of the path on your hard drive, but for hands-free, no-thought-needed syncing, it was the best.

We'll see that return to iCloud.

And I only say that with such conviction because of how UTTERLY STUPID it is right now.

OK, thanks. I agree it is a VERY awkward implementation. So from your above comments, it's pretty clear that using iCloud to access documents is out of the picture unless I want to spend the money on the iOS apps. And I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong), that I would also then have to upgrade my computer iWork to the latest version for iCloud compatibility. (Sigh)
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Tallest is correct, I have access only because I'm a developer.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    How often does my iPhone / iPad back up to iCloud.

• Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dondavis3 View Post

How often does my iPhone / iPad back up to iCloud.

As needed.

Which means, "every time you make a change to something."

Say, a document in Pages. In fact, right now that SEVERELY slows down Pages and they need to fix that as soon as possible.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Not really a fan of iCloud. It's much more dissapointing than I thought....and to be honest a lot of cloud services haven't gotten it right for me. My major problem is that it's not web based enough...especially photostream. I don't like having to download an app/program to my PC (that's why I hate drop box).
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Oh Cool! Thank you AI
  • Reply 12 of 23
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Not really a fan of iCloud. It's much more dissapointing than I thought....and to be honest a lot of cloud services haven't gotten it right for me. My major problem is that it's not web based enough...especially photostream. I don't like having to download an app/program to my PC (that's why I hate drop box).

Get a Mac... What are you waiting for!?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

You own a Windows PC, you should be accustomed to disappointment.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

ROFL
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Until Vista, I was accustomed to awesomness (and virsusy pr0n).
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Oh, your humor just rolls. I hope to God your not referring that Mac's are perfect
  • Reply 17 of 23
    How so?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beevyedgeree View Post

He can no longer post new threads, and has a special title. Our first and only so far TOTAL NOOB, RandomCSR123

He can post here, and any other threads, just not create new threads, we will keep our eye on him, and see if he can redeem himself.

RandomCSR123, dont waste your time registering. Give this a week or so, and if you dont act like a idiot, I will re-instate you. Or at least bump up your privilages.

Who the frick are you?!

There's no user here by that name. Why are you pretending to have mod privileges?

EDIT: Oh, you're a spambot reposting posts from OTHER FORUMS. That's silly.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    pherhoursedog Cheap Insanity Workout FesyEphevysem insanity workout schedule Evemavene
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Everything looks great now. But I would recommend you hurry and buy that domain because someone might snap it first and try and sell it to you for a lot more. Camera Labs is a nice place but you cant trust anyone on the internet.