Apple looking into remaining battery life issues after iOS 5.0.1 update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    I've lost 7% power just reading this post. We need to fix this. I totally wiped out my phone first, then updated and restored. What gives?
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5, no problems. I updated to iOS 5.0.1 on the same phone no problems. I've never seen problems. People just like to complain or they're just stupid.

well good for you.

[insult removed]
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

I agree. I also have no problems, didn't have them before and don't have them after the upgrade. All those whining people, it's their own fault they have problems.

The Republican Party is looking for a candidate with your values- IGMFY.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5, no problems. I updated to iOS 5.0.1 on the same phone no problems. I've never seen problems. People just like to complain or they're just stupid.

I have never had a virus on a Windows PC
  • Reply 45 of 64
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    After updating to iOS 5.0.1 I also experienced reduced battery life. I had Location Services turned off (apart from Camera and Maps) as well as turning Siri off.

I decided to let the iPhone 4S battery die and then charge it via the wall socket untill it reached 100%. I then performed a Hard Reset on the phone. Finally, I turned off iCloud WiFi backup.

I can report that 8 hours later, my battery is at 74% charge. I've watched an hours worth of live TV (using the FilmOn App) and have been playing music for the past 3 hours. I'm currently enjoying a Vanilla Latte at Caffe Nero in Hammersmith as I type this message

I'm much happier now than 24 hours ago. I hope that with further updates I will be able to turn on more features of iOS 5. If only I could turn off 3G than I would be even happier...
  • Reply 46 of 64
    I didn't have a battery issue (on iPhone 4) and still don't after updating to 5.0.1. But I did have certain Location Services shut off prior to the update (those suggested a few weeks back in order to avoid excess battery drain) and noticed that the update turned them back on again. I shut them off again and have had no problems. However I am not using iCloud, which I'm guessing is the source of a lot of battery issues for those who are taking a lot of photos and having them synced.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Untrue. A personal dearth of problems does not a non-issue make. A vast (99%) majority with a dearth of problems does a non-issue make.

Many people are having problems with their battery life. Many are also experiencing an anti-placebo about it and are being paranoid. And plenty aren't having any problems.

With millions and millions of devices sold a 100000 th procent is still a lot. The absolute number of people having a problem is on itself not an indication that a device has a problem.

But I guess you kind of said that.

J.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

After updating to iOS 5.0.1 I also experienced reduced battery life. I had Location Services turned off (apart from Camera and Maps) as well as turning Siri off.

I decided to let the iPhone 4S battery die and then charge it via the wall socket untill it reached 100%. I then performed a Hard Reset on the phone. Finally, I turned off iCloud WiFi backup.

I can report that 8 hours later, my battery is at 74% charge. I've watched an hours worth of live TV (using the FilmOn App) and have been playing music for the past 3 hours. I'm currently enjoying a Vanilla Latte at Caffe Nero in Hammersmith as I type this message

I'm much happier now than 24 hours ago. I hope that with further updates I will be able to turn on more features of iOS 5. If only I could turn off 3G than I would be even happier...

My wife's iPhone4S had a 65% charge after 10 hours of light use and all features on. 8 hours of sleep later it was still at 55%.

Tuning shouldn't be necessary.

J.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Well guys, I think the problem with battery drain for me is the intermittent reception on Verizon's network. I'll have the 4s sitting on a table stationary and I can see the reception floating from no bars to two bars to full service and then back to no bars and then roaming. I don't see how the signal can change that much when the phone is stationary! Another weird fact is, I have turned off roaming for voice as well as data.

It's all very frustrating.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telrad View Post

I don't see how the signal can change that much when the phone is stationary!

it can't. Take the phone to an Apple store and let a Genius replace it for you.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    My iPhone 4S battery is fine, both before and after this update. If I were forced to guess, the battery runs betters than my iPhone 4.

But here's something that's puzzling - the standby time spec for iPhone 4S's battery is 200 hrs. That's abysmal! In fact, it's the worst of any iPhone (and possibly any smartphone?). Standby time is not a big deal on its own. But either Apple has this spec wrong or this new phone is not quite a sipper.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Sad, the new update didn't solve my 4s battery problem. I think Apple again hurried to put out a fix without thorough testing. SJ probably would ask for a more complete testing before releasing a fix for a well known bug. I think he would get really mad if the fix didn't work for at least 99.99% of the affected phones. Apple is just not the same anymore without SJ. Even the stock price is behaving poorly for the past month. Hope Cook can shape up soon before losing it.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Sad, the new update didn't solve my 4s battery problem. I think Apple again hurried to put out a fix without thorough testing. SJ probably would ask for a more complete testing before releasing a fix for a well known bug. I think he would get really mad if the fix didn't work for at least 99.99% of the affected phones. Apple is just not the same anymore without SJ. Even the stock price is behaving poorly for the past month. Hope Cook can shape up soon before losing it.

13 days between iOS 1.1 and 1.1.1.

14 days between iOS 2.01 and 2.0.2.

14 days between iOS 3.0 and 3.0.1.

3 days between iOS 4.2.5 and 4.2.6.

10 days between iOS 4.2.9 and 4.2.10.

10 days between iOS 4.3.4 and 4.3.5.

29 days between iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1

There are plenty of other updates that are less than 29 days but I choose the most notable hurried fixes under Steve Jobs as CEO.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    "Everything just works" eh?

Ironically, I'm having more issues AFTER the update. It was fine before then.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

"Everything just works" eh?

Ironically, I'm having more issues AFTER the update. It was fine before then.

1) The slogan was "It just works."

2) It's a slogan, not something to be taken literally.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So? McDonald's didn't really love to see me smile?!

Good thing I stopped eating there about a decade ago.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:

Not unlike giving them money makes you smile.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:

Not after they had to get rid of their Super Size.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) The slogan was "It just works."

Well, that's not the basis on what's said when iPhone/Apple does something right against their compeititors. Again, iPhone has battery issues, and it should be swept under the rug. If this were another phone/manufactrer it would be ripped to shreds. I mean, look at the Flash news lately.

As a first time iPhone user, I have come to the conclusion it's just hardware and will have it's issues.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Well, that's not the basis on what's said when iPhone/Apple does something right against their compeititors. Again, iPhone has battery issues, and it should be swept under the rug. If this were another phone/manufactrer it would be ripped to shreds. I mean, look at the Flash news lately.

As a first time iPhone user, I have come to the conclusion it's just hardware and will have it's issues.

If it was anyone but Apple it gets a pass. They reviews say "it's pretty good for their first time", 'the battery isn't great but at least it has a much bigger display than the iPhone", etc.

What you're bitching about is a firmware-fixable issue with some of the yield do to slight variances in component vendors and yields.
    Just like every year, Apple is an industry leader. That said, all CE will have a certain percentage of units that genuinely are faulty. If you feel this is something unresolvable with an update or you're unwilling to wait for a firmware update then return the device, but for the love of life get off your high horse regarding a CE company actually not delivering hundreds of millions of units in a year without any being faulty. A little reality goes a long way.

PS: I returned my iPhone 4S today because the battery issues still persisted after the update and I was unwilling to wait for the next update.