Apple releases iTunes 10.5.1 with public launch of iTunes Match

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is the main reason why iTunes match and iTunes in the cloud is useless to me also. Most of my stuff is from multiple countries/continents etc. and won't be available in the store for matching.

Can you elaborate on that? Is it that they won't be matched because: A) They were purchased through iTunes from another country's store and the service refuses to upload them; B) They were purchased from another country and you won't upload them in an effort to conform to laws; C) You have oodles of music and this is somehow throwing you over the 25,000 limit; or D) Something else?

Even if iTunes didn't actually match my music, I would be perfectly content to go through the uploading process if it allowed me to do so. I'm at the uploading stage right now and it looks like iTunes successfully matched about 60% of my 11,000+ songs.
  • Reply 42 of 109
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opusknecht View Post

If I have multiple libraries, one at home and one at work on my laptop, can both of them add to iTunes Match?

Or will you be locked into the first library you sync to?

This might be a pain- but why not merge them all on one? Then you'd have access on the other one through match anyway?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtz View Post

What happens if you share an iTunes Store account with multiple family members? How would this work in relation to iTunes Match? Would each iTunes library get stored online? How do you manage this?

Playlists?

Its just my wife and I (kids are too young). I have "Andy's Music". She has "Elisabeth's Music". You can diversify from there- and just play from the playlist. I used to feel that pain.... when I'd be listening to Leeland and then "Rockabye Baby! Coldplay" comes on... nothing is worse.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    We have 12,221 songs on our Mini Media Library (more on several iMacs).

Did the iTunes Match yesterday (beta) and it found about 19,500 and needed to upload the remaining 2,700, or so.

The upload took several hours -- I wasn't paying attention.

But I was able to use the iCloud and local versions during the process on the iMacs, iPhones, AppleTV and iPads.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    Well, I am sure glad to hear about the metadata being retained, thank you for creating this list

As someone who has for years painstaking entered in the names of my friends and types of activities (i.e. "Nigel" and "Exercise" and "CarPick") so that whenever I add one of those text strings to a comments field, the song would instantly be automatically added to a Smart Playlist...this is a huge relief that I can keep doing that!
  • Reply 45 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamilton77fan View Post

Thanks to all for the great information in this thread. Does anyone know if matched music will then show up as purchased content? I have some CD's that I imported have iTunes LP available on the iTunes store. Just wondering if this would allow me to take advantage of that.

They do not. They show up as matched. So, it is clear which songs are purchased and which are matched.
  • Reply 46 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groovylounge View Post

I had hoped that by the time it was released, iTunes Match would find a solution for libraries over 25,000. I have over 138,000 items in my library. When trying to sign up, you're simply told that your library is over 25,000 and you can't get iTunes Match. Very disappointing.

If you have over 25,000 songs like I do and do itunes match nothing will happen but a window that says you have too many songs. You need to hold down the option key and launch itunes. You will be prompted to create a new library. Choose the option to create a new library. Move to the Store menu and choose Turn on itunes match. Open itunes preferences, click the advanced preferences and uncheck the copy files to itunes media floder when adding to library option and click ok. This will prevent duplicates from generating. The next step is to choose file add to library and browse for tracks you want itunes to match. When you are finished choose store update itunes match. Voila!
  • Reply 47 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We have 12,221 songs on our Mini Media Library (more on several iMacs).

Did the iTunes Match yesterday (beta) and it found about 19,500 and needed to upload the remaining 2,700, or so.

The upload took several hours -- I wasn't paying attention.

But I was able to use the iCloud and local versions during the process on the iMacs, iPhones, AppleTV and iPads.

Yeah, I am pretty happy with how it functions and that it matched most of my songs. My only real frustration is with it not matching songs that it really should. For example, I have the album "Ten Thousand Fists" by Disturbed. It matched all the songs except "Ten Thousand Fists" and "Land of Confusion" which were the most popular titles off the album. And it is a CD rip so, I don't see any reason it should have not worked. But not a big deal for me since I ripped it as lossless. So both the matched tracks and uploaded tracks are 256k. Now, there might be one or two albums that I don't remember where I got them from that are lower than 256K. Those frustrate me a little because some are 256k AAC and some are 128k MP3. Not a biggie, but I like things to be consistent.
  • Reply 48 of 109
    Is there a way to stream to Apple TV but access your iTunes Match content listing without a television? I know I could stream to iPhone and then send to ATV with Airplay, but that costs battery and for me cuts out too often. I just want to use the iPhone as a remote and send content straight from cloud to ATV without leaving the TV on to see song menus.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Edit: I can't read.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    What happens when I want to delete a local music that has been uploaded to the cloud? Will the file that's been uploaded to the cloud also be deleted? There are a few songs I want to delete that I simply haven't gotten around to deleting.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redox21 View Post

Is there a way to stream to Apple TV but access your iTunes Match content listing without a television? I know I could stream to iPhone and then send to ATV with Airplay, but that costs battery and for me cuts out too often. I just want to use the iPhone as a remote and send content straight from cloud to ATV without leaving the TV on to see song menus.

While I think you could since the ATV has audio out ... You'd need to activate the unit which does require a display.. Other options include.

Airport Express does a great job with audio and is regularly found on the apple refurb store and it's one product I never mind getting a refurb for a few bucks less... OR shop amazon and click on the price where it will list all the new refurb AND used offerings sometimes you get one at a really good price.

Also... If you have an iPod dock with audio out ... I think most Apple branded ones do. Then dock and old iPod and I think (might need to confirm this be just old iPod touches and iPhones) anyway that too mould act as a good airplay / iCloud node.

Also since its just gonna be sitting in the dock you really don't need a shiny new unit.. Just so long as it powers even with a damaged screen you'd likely be good to go.

Still I really like the airport express for this since it's just as cheap or cheaper than an ATV and you can use it to extend your wifi network ... Tho you may need an airport extreme for that if you do tho it's stupid easy to setup.
  • Reply 52 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Can you elaborate on that? Is it that they won't be matched because: A) They were purchased through iTunes from another country's store and the service refuses to upload them; B) They were purchased from another country and you won't upload them in an effort to conform to laws; C) You have oodles of music and this is somehow throwing you over the 25,000 limit; or D) Something else?

Even if iTunes didn't actually match my music, I would be perfectly content to go through the uploading process if it allowed me to do so. I'm at the uploading stage right now and it looks like iTunes successfully matched about 60% of my 11,000+ songs.

Well I suppose I was being a bit vague. The majority of the stuff I have from other countries than the one my account is in are actually movies and TV shows which aren't anything to do with iTunes match but conceivably will be soon so the problem will come up again and be many times compounded when we are allowed to match videos and TV shows.

To a lesser degree the same thing happens with my music. I have a lot of music from European sources that isn't even on iTunes in Europe, let alone in North America. Living in Canada, I also have a lot of music that won't show up on the Canadian iTunes store because for the most part, the Canadian iTunes store is a copy of the US but with (some) Canadian content. This means that obscure Canadian content won't be there at all. I also have some stuff that was only available in the USA at first so that's where I got it from. That also won't be matched.

Basically, it's the same issue as I had back in the 80's when I had a vinyl record collection. A lot of the cool stuff you can only get as "imports" (or today from other over-seas digital sources besides iTunes). Even if in the interim, the album has become available in your jurisdiction, it's not actually the same album. The cover art is different always, the songs are often in a different order on the album, tracks are added and subtracted. Additionally, sometimes the album just isn't available anymore and something else is sold in it's place with extra tracks or whatever. Many older artists and older recordings from the 70's and 80's are only available as "best of" albums now.

So ... for any serious collector, absolutely large amounts of stuff won't match at all and large amounts of the remainder will "match" but only by linking you to what is essentially a different album. If you go with that, you might as well delete your old albums.

In my case, with music this is (conservatively) about 15-20% of my collection (although I haven't tried yet so who knows). When it comes the time to do the same with videos, at least 70-80% of my movies and about half the TV shows I have won't match either.

Most have never been available for sale in my country at all.
  • Reply 53 of 109
    I think I know the answer, but am looking for someone who has been using this to confirm for me. Can I use Match on my various computers to sync their libraries, but NOT turn on the Match function on my various iTunes devices, which inlude a iPad 1 and two iPod Touches? That way I could match away on the Toshiba, old MacBook and MacBoon Pro while maintaining the ability to manually manage my music and playlists on the iPods/iPad? I am not interested in streaming at this point, as I am wi-fi only and will be somewhere for the next few months were wi-fi will be hit or miss.

If I can match on the computers, leave the function off on my iOS gizmo's and still manually manage the newly upgraded and matched tunes, this is hand's down a winner for me.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    I get the message that iTunes match is not accepting new subscribers at this time. Smart on Apples part I guess.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    Are previously 128-Kbps iTunes purchases upgraded to 256-Kbps DRM-Free? Thanks.
  • Reply 56 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well I suppose I was being a bit vague. The majority of the stuff I have from other countries than the one my account is in [...]

I haven't yet used iTunes Match (I suppose my computer downstairs is just about finished with the upload process) but I would definitely be at least a little frustrated if it started changing around a lot of my more obscure music. I read earlier, though, that it honors your metadata so I wasn't expecting to run into any problems there.

As for your music not matching, I was just curious what the problem was? It still gets to upload, so it seems to me the only real drawbacks there, under most circumstances, would be a greater delay in initial setup and perhaps a loss of the ability to up convert some low bitrate music (though that wouldn't be a loss; more of a lost opportunity). The only other problem I was able to imagine would be if someone had, say, 30,000 songs, much of which was purchased through iTunes from another country, and thus some of it was not successfully matched through another country's iTunes Match service, thus reducing the amount of music someone could use through the service. (This would be a greater concern if all music purchased from a foreign iTunes store was counted toward the 25,000). At face value the service seems pretty flexible to me. Of course I'm quite picky about my music so I could be grumbling here tomorrow.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sommer182 View Post

I think I know the answer, but am looking for someone who has been using this to confirm for me. Can I use Match on my various computers to sync their libraries, but NOT turn on the Match function on my various iTunes devices, which inlude a iPad 1 and two iPod Touches? That way I could match away on the Toshiba, old MacBook and MacBoon Pro while maintaining the ability to manually manage my music and playlists on the iPods/iPad? I am not interested in streaming at this point, as I am wi-fi only and will be somewhere for the next few months were wi-fi will be hit or miss.

If I can match on the computers, leave the function off on my iOS gizmo's and still manually manage the newly upgraded and matched tunes, this is hand's down a winner for me.

I'm not yet speaking from experience, but it is my understanding that you can indeed selectively use iTunes Match on one device to the next. I'm not completely certain why you would want to accomplish the goal you've outlined above, though, because (again based on my interpretation) you can use iTunes Match on your other devices and choose music to actually download from the iTunes Match service, thus making it available when offline (getting the best of both worlds).
  • Reply 58 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manny805 View Post

Are previously 128-Kbps iTunes purchases upgraded to 256-Kbps DRM-Free? Thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple also offers users the ability to upgrade their songs to 256Kbps AAC DRM-free quality files, even if the original copy was of lower quality.

And Apple's website has a plethora of information about the products they make.

Seems silly that you'd ask that when

1. It's on the website.

and

2. It's in the story around which this thread is based.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I'm not yet speaking from experience, but it is my understanding that you can indeed selectively use iTunes Match on one device to the next. I'm not completely certain why you would want to accomplish the goal you've outlined above, though, because (again based on my interpretation) you can use iTunes Match on your other devices and choose music to actually download from the iTunes Match service, thus making it available when offline (getting the best of both worlds).

Reason I was wondering was that I had read that once you turn on Match on an iOS device you can no longer sync that device with a computer. Yes, you can sync it over the air, including playlists, etc, but I do like to "drag and drop" manually. Since I have two iPods that should work with it, maybe I'll just try it all on one of them before I take the plunge on all machines.

Thank you!
  • Reply 60 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And Apple's website has a plethora of information about the products they make.

Seems silly that you'd ask that when

1. It's on the website.

and

2. It's in the story around which this thread is based.

Neither of your sources specifically address his question. Nowhere does it say if iTunes Match is able to match DRMd files. It is my understanding is that iTunes Match does not, in fact, match *any* iTunes purchases.