Are you in the path of Hurricane Lily? Post Here.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It seems Lily - which has been upgraded to a Category 4 Hurricane - will be arriving tomorrow and into Friday.

I miss being on the coast. It used to be so much fun to get hit by a hurricane every few years. Gloria was a megabitch. Absolutely devestated Connecticut. We had to hire people all the way from Quebec to come down and fix the electrical lines. I still remember my parents and the rest of the neighborhood cheering them on as they worked. From their reactions, it was obvious no one had ever shown them such gratitude before.

For a short time, we treated them with the same reverence as the FDNY gets now. Days and days and days without power will do that to you.

Now, I live in lowly Memphis. We seem to be unable to get a halfway decent storm here. Which is probably good in some ways, the area has been so blindly developed, there really isn't anywhere for the water to go. Zero-lot developments and strip malls mean that the only way 11 inches of water can get back into the ground is through the traffic islands in parking lots. The rest just sits there.

However, I miss the excitement. I really do. Even Nor'Easters. (think: intense tropical storm in the winter time with snow instead of rain). A good storm now and then can make things interesting. We've had an intense, unrelenting summer that seems unwilling to end, a huge storm seems the best way to cap off the season, don't you think?

Even if I have to work outside in this (which I probably will) I still have my fingers crossed, hoping Lily will not lose too much strength as she makes her way here.

I'm not a sadist, I just have the ability to thrive on the excitement of a bad situation. Great coping skill, actually.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    yeah...Nor'Easters were fun when i lived in Maryland.....but now i get nothing but wind here in the desert...would love some of that rain....oh well....g
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Is Cincinnati in the path?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Dam! According to the satellite image on CNN, Lily is coming straight for me in Houston. Hope I'm far enough inland.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Dam! According to the satellite image on CNN, Lily is coming straight for me in Houston. Hope I'm far enough inland. <hr></blockquote>

*throws you a life-preserver*

or was that a Life Saver?

Well, good luck!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Lili is one nasty bitch. Sustained winds of 145 mph ... 8 to 10 inches of rain expected ... storm surges of up to 20 feet (!) above normal tide possible. Center is expected to make landfall in south-central Louisiana in a few hours.

<a href="http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/"; target="_blank">National Hurricane Center</a>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Looks like Louisiana was lucky. Lili weakened to Category 2 by the time it made landfall. 90 mph winds ... 4 to 8 inches of rain ... storm surge of 6 to 10 feet.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    My brother lives in Ar-kansas for the time being. He should be getting a nice drenching right about now....
  • Reply 8 of 11
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    Great, I'm supposed to get drenched driving cross-country tomorrow. Should make for an interesting 700 miles.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I'd like to make a formal apology. Hurricane Lili is entirely my fault.

It wouldn't flush, and I kept pulling the handle and flushing and flushing. It took about ten before it went, and by the time I realized what I was doing, it was just too late.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    What were you trying to flush?

PS. the cool thing about naming hurricanes after women is you can call them all manner of rotten names
  • Reply 11 of 11
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>What were you trying to flush?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You don't want to know. All I'll say is that if you're in the path of Lili, don't go out without an umbrella and waterproofs. And buy bleach. Strong bleach.

[quote]<strong>PS. the cool thing about naming hurricanes after women is you can call them all manner of rotten names </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd be very careful, bucko. According to <a href="http://www.fema.gov/kids/hunames3.htm"; target="_blank">this</a> list, I'm scheduled for next year, and I've never been to Connecticut before.

[Okay, okay, I know it's Isabel, not Isobel, but it's the same name. ]