Adobe confirms it will no longer develop Flash for mobile browsers

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 170
    A lot of gloating going on in here which is to be expected given the inconvenience of missing sites or parts of sites on the iPhone, and the vindication of SJ.

Flash will take a long time to go away- you have to admit you see it on tons of sites right now, right this second. The desktop version can't be continued for too long either now- but this is going to take years! So for me this is good riddance, but with some transition pain involved that is not a good thing.

I am happy that in the future open standards will be able to accomplish the same things flash did. Until then I will be able to surf the flash sites (when I choose to by clicking on them) Everyone is forgetting that smooth anims, sound, and complex routines did not exist on web pages before shockwave and flash. HTML-5 can finally replace it at this point.

What people have not addressed here is the downside to the controlling aspect of Apple's strategies. If I buy a $400 piece of hardware it should be my right to install ANY software even if it's buggy and power hungry. Especially an on demand plugin like flash. It's right in line with corporate policy to make life tough for other threats to the itunes juggernaut.

Unless my phone is gonna catch on fire or something there is no reason to treat me like I am 5 years old. I hate the censorship and the rigid control over development that Apple insists on. It seems like the company started with an anti-big-brother attitude, but right now they are the big gorilla with the hordes of lawyers, PI's, and control of a platform with API's that they keep private so they always have the edge. (that last strategy has historically been a big- and true- complaint against Microsoft from Mac-headz)

If Mr. Jobs (who I greatly admire) was right about flash, he used all the might and power of Apple to help make it happen! With the # of iphones out and the iPad dominance that doesn't exactly make him Nostradamus as flash sites became a bad choice for any developer not wanting to significantly shrink their market.

Anyway, so long flash- it always irritated me too- just glad I was given the choice to use it when I felt like it.

Sincerely,

Just another developer on both iOS and Android
  • Reply 162 of 170
    Quote:

"Apple didn?t favor its own proprietary plugin over Flash. There?s no QuickTime plugin on iOS either. Apple?s view was, and is, that there should be no proprietary web browser plugins, period."

So if I understand it right, Flash is dead at last and Adobe is dead too, all great!

So then which tools should I use from now on for some animation visual content / interactivity / all platforms compatible products? HTML5 + Java? QuickTime?

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 163 of 170
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

So if I understand it right, Flash is dead at last and Adobe is dead too, all great!

So then which tools should I use from now on for some animation visual content / interactivity / all platforms compatible products? HTML5 + Java? QuickTime?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there's anything in the article to suggest that "Adobe's dead". I think this actually will help them focus on improving their creation tools.
  • Reply 164 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

I don't think there's anything in the article to suggest that "Adobe's dead". I think this actually will help them focus on improving their creation tools.

They can start by having the same shortcuts across all of their tools.

"Oh. I need the lasso. I'll hit "L" and bring that?NOPE DIDN'T WORK. LASSO IS 'Q' IN ILLUSTRATOR."
  • Reply 165 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

lol. fantastic!
  • Reply 166 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I'll supply the laughing face for you... That's the only way that makes sense.

Right. Standards please. Flash and whatnot are a right pain for screwing up even the most simple of tasks. Sure it maybe be mostly a mac problem but we hardly want to www to be run by one gang be it microsoft, apple or adobe. Open standards have to be the way forwards even if practically ever company is pushing some proprietary plugin to crash your browser with.
  • Reply 167 of 170
    Flashblock has long been my "Hide everything idiotic on the web" control.

Flash has long been the honeypot for terrible/annoying designs, now they are going to run free.

Trashy, gaudy, flashy, lame interfaces. Annoying animated ads, all get reduced to nothing with a simple block of flash.

Now I fear all this garbage will escape the easily switched off flash ghetto.
  • Reply 168 of 170
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

In some ways but if it uses Canvas, you can get a simple addon to strip those from the DOM. You can also disable Javascript with a click and turn it back on for sites that require it.
  • Reply 169 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Yay, no more choice!

This is not a "win" for anyone, although it's not the worst thing ever. I am fine with open standards that work, but for now, most of the web uses Flash.

I don't care what the iFanboys say. This is the way the world works. Guess what. Most sites use Flash. Most computers use Windows. That is how it is.

Flash is resource-intensive and full of security holes, sure. But Adobe continued to improve it on both mobile and MacOS X. Now it's cancelled for mobile. Oh well. It's not good, but it's also not the end of the world. Hopefully over the next few years, sites will settle on ONE or a few open standards, so that everyone can access the full web on mobile. Standards are important. Especially when it comes to the web. Fragmentation helps no one.

Most site needlessly use Flash and violate ADA rules because the people designing the sites are to put it bluntly idiots.

As for most computers using Windows yes but it is a version of Windows that is 10 years old! As good as Windows 7 is the Windows community is still hanging on to XP like grim death and this is hampering the web.
  • Reply 170 of 170
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Flashblock has long been my "Hide everything idiotic on the web" control.

Flash has long been the honeypot for terrible/annoying designs, now they are going to run free.

Trashy, gaudy, flashy, lame interfaces. Annoying animated ads, all get reduced to nothing with a simple block of flash.

Good point. Crap.