MacBook Air now 28% of Apple's notebook shipments

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yet another example of Jobs and Apple skating to where to puck will be instead of where it is. When the MBA debuted it was roundly trounced by the usual tech luddites who post here because it didn't have an optical drive, didn't have this or that, blah, blah, blah. Now, of course, it's being copied by ASUS and every other swinging dick out there.

Spot on, iKrupp!

My thoughts exactly! When I read the headline my first thought was what Jobs said about the MBA, "....the future of notebooks!"

The only question is, do you want an 11" or 13?"

Best
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

With the MacBook Air 11-inch outselling the 13-inch model 10 to 1.

wow, if true that answers my previous question! 11" And if I do well this year an 11" coupled with an Apple monitor may be the way to go!
  • Reply 23 of 27
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Everyone knows that the analysts and media determined that the MacBook Air was a terrible product that no one would buy and that Apple was doomed as a result - so I just cannot believe these obvious propaganda stories trying to convince the public of something that is simply not true. When is Apple going to learn to stop squandering is millions on advertising aimed at trying to convince people of the opposite of reality. Just look at how well that has worked for Microsoft and Google, etc.

Wait, what's that, Apple actually is selling the product and consumers recognize value and quality despite the media bashing of a product clearly ahead of its time because they lack the vision of Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yet another example of Jobs and Apple skating to where to puck will be instead of where it is. When the MBA debuted it was roundly trounced by the usual tech luddites who post here because it didn't have an optical drive, didn't have this or that, blah, blah, blah. Now, of course, it's being copied by ASUS and every other swinging dick out there.

the original air looked amazing but ran very very hot, was really weak cpu wise and the single usb with bombay door just sucked.

they got it right with the latest version i think.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geofflee21 View Post

I hardly think people are buying more of it because of Thunderbolt. I would think its the upgraded processors that put it in line with the MacBook Pro.

I agree, although the late 2010 MacBook Air was also considered a sales success. I've used a MacBook Air since February 2008, and the mid-2011 model is the first that doesn't seem like a compromise (although the graphics are still only basic).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

It's no coincidence the MacBook was discontinued at the same time these stats jumped.

However, a lot of people thought Apple was taking a gamble by discontinuing the base MacBook, since the $999 Air has less storage, and no optical drive. Some of the MacBook customer base likely migrated to the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

wow, if true?

He doesn't actually know, and frankly that's obscenely unbelievable.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

I agree, although the late 2010 MacBook Air was also considered a sales success. I've used a MacBook Air since February 2008, and the mid-2011 model is the first that doesn't seem like a compromise (although the graphics are still only basic).

However, a lot of people thought Apple was taking a gamble by discontinuing the base MacBook, since the $999 Air has less storage, and no optical drive. Some of the MacBook customer base likely migrated to the MacBook Pro.

I work with a ton of devs every day and most of us went out and bought 11" MBA's right away. I think only one person I saw at work with a 13" MBA.