Quick question on college degrees

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have some of those, and I wondered how to translate this one perk: over here in Belgium, the honors scheme consists of 4 steps:

1: 50% to about 70% = no honors "voldoening", satisfactory

2: 70% to 78% = honors, "onderscheiding", ~'distinction'

3: 78% to ±86% = honors, "grote onderscheiding" (great distinction)

4: 86% to 9x% = "grootste onderscheiding"= greatest distinction

Now, does anybody have an idea how this gets reflected in English. I'm trying to sketch up my resume in that tongue, and I'm a bit puzzled about this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    In English, we use Latin.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Use those words, they will be impressed.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Here in the UK honours degrees are typically graded:

1st class, Honours (greatest distinction)

2nd class 1, Honours (great distinction)

2nd class 2, Honours(distinction)

3rd class, Ordinary (satisfactory)

The grades are typically 70%+, 60%+, 50%+ and 40%+ repsectively (but these will vary depending on course, maintaining the usual distribution et...)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    okay, care to elaborate?

is it so that you get

"cum laude", (~distinction)

"magna cum laude" and (~great distinction)

"summa cum laude"? (~greatest distinction)

But does this reflect to the grade average I sketch? I mean, I guess about 30%-50% of graduating students get one of these honors. Are the cum laudes as 'frequently' given out?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    You have to graduate within a certain GPA range to receive the cum laude titles. You've got the order right though. I don't remember what the GPA reqs are for them, and not all colleges use identical GPA scales...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    if you want to try, you can contact (better if you call) the people at vesalius college <a href="http://www.vesalius.edu"; target="_blank">www.vesalius.edu</a>

Its where I went to college. Its officially part of the VUB (Vrije Universiteit Brussel) but also in association with Boston College and is OUVS accredited.

Had some great times there. For whomever is interested, the have great exchange programs. Of around 400students, about 100 each year are from USA.

My degree is given from the VUB but valid in USA also as a normal college degree. I really have the best of both worlds