Gartner: Apple's iOS lost smartphone share to Android in Q3 2011

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

And Android devices will never make as much money as an iPhone so who wins there?

Um. . . The Android smartphone manufacturers who otherwise would have been shut out the market for all intents. Apple wasn't going to license their OS.

A little profit is better than none, and producers like Samsung actually seem to do quite well, with the smartphone business a lucrative part of their business according to various financial sources.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    It's amazing to think that even being third, Apple has largest profit from iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I don't think Apple is losing any sleep over a comparison between their market share and the COMBINED market share of a bunch of devices that happen to share the "Android" name but very little else.

This kind of spin is nauseating.

It's early 80s Mac vs PC all over again. Who cares if the COMBINED market share of a bunch of PCs that happen to share the "DOS" OS is higher, right?

The iPhone had zero chance of being the dominant mobile platform. But make no mistake, marketshare is important. Marketshare is what relegated Mac to niche status for decades.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    Android already won marketshare. We can stop trying to deny that. How can you beat a platform or OS thats given away to any manufacturer? You can't. Google back stabbed Apple/Steve Jobs, and has now beaten the iPhone/iOS market share for OS and devices. Thats basically what it comes down to.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

No, market share does matter. Mind you, this is not a case of Android edging out Apple by slim margin. There were three times as many Android devices sold; 60 million vs 20 million. It's a different strategy and it seems to be working. It doesn't mean Apple's strategy is bad, just different.

Every time Android adoption is shown to be accelerating, people make excuses about how it's short lived, but it keeps growing and leaving Apple further behind in market share.

What does Apple's profit do for users? I'm not sure. Frankly, I think they could tack an extra 50% onto every product and earn much more.

Why tack an extra 50%?! Apple smartphone profit accounts for 50% of the industry profits and is expected to account for 70% next year. As a customer if a company is making profit that gives me confidence that my investment in their ecosystem (by buying their products and services) will not go under any time soon. Furthermore, a company making profit will invest more in improving their products and services.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Android just seems to be getting marketshare from the messy "old world" of smart phones.

Apple doesn't seem to be getting hurt by Android as much.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Irony of ironies, most mobile surfing is done on the iPhones so did I miss something.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Um. . . The Android smartphone manufacturers who otherwise would have been shut out the market for all intents. Apple wasn't going to license their OS.

A little profit is better than none, and producers like Samsung actually seem to do quite well, with the smartphone business a lucrative part of their business according to various financial sources.

You obviously didn't understand my comment.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It is easier to make more money with popular products. Additionally, a robust third-party ecosystem is vitally important to Apple.

For these reasons and more, Apple cares very much about market share.

Market share has nothing to do with this. Apple already has the most popular products and that's why people make third party accessories for the phones. It's not because Apple leads in market share because that's never been true. It's because the money is with Apple and in Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:

No, market share does matter. Mind you, this is not a case of Android edging out Apple by slim margin. There were three times as many Android devices sold; 60 million vs 20 million. It's a different strategy and it seems to be working. It doesn't mean Apple's strategy is bad, just different.

Every time Android adoption is shown to be accelerating, people make excuses about how it's short lived, but it keeps growing and leaving Apple further behind in market share.

What does Apple's profit do for users? I'm not sure. Frankly, I think they could tack an extra 50% onto the price every product and earn much more.

Apple's profit pays for stuff like OS updates for three-year old devices, and new stuff like iCloud and Siri.

Market share is good, but you have to be profitable at the same time- that is the difference between Android and Windows.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Irony of ironies, most mobile surfing is done on the iPhones so did I miss something.

Data hogs?
  • Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:

There you go again, starting off with excuses. Even if Apple made a 'plethora' of devices, they still wouldn't match sales of android devices.

Nor will BMW ever outsell Ford.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:

What does Apple's profit do for users? I'm not sure. Frankly, I think they could tack an extra 50% onto the price every product and earn much more.

Ok, market share does matter to an extent. But then you have to include iPad and iPod touch because those devices use the same iOS software. But fandroids will exclude them because Android is non existent on those other device categories.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:

There you go again, starting off with excuses. Even if Apple made a 'plethora' of devices, they still wouldn't match sales of android devices.

Add the iPads and iPod touches to apple's tally and see where we're at.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

This kind of spin is nauseating.

It's early 80s Mac vs PC all over again. Who cares if the COMBINED market share of a bunch of PCs that happen to share the "DOS" OS is higher, right?

The iPhone had zero chance of being the dominant mobile platform. But make no mistake, marketshare is important. Marketshare is what relegated Mac to niche status for decades.

As much as I hate wasting my breath debating this, no, it is not the same.

Android on phones has succeeded because the carriers have had incentives to push Android down the unwitting throats of their customers via BOGOs, kickbacks, etc. The driving force has been carrier desire to sign up accounts (and then ignore updates for the phones for 2 years.)

This will not play out in tablets, where the actual device and experience are what matter, and carriers are out of the picture for all practical purposes (Is anyone really getting 3G tablets?). Android will get some traction via Kindle Fire, but not in a way that will benefit Google, since Amazon is bypassing all Google services and ads potential.

Finally, Windows dominated applications, therefore dominated hardware sales (for their vendors.) The watchword for Android users is 'cheap and free'. That means that developer focus will always be on iOS first.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Apple may make double or triple the revenue, but marketshare can dictate software releases. Look at what Netflix has just released first. It's not released for iOS first, but Android. So once again, we are slowly becoming 2nd class citizens. Much like Windows and Mac.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/15/net...n-a-few-weeks/
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

^this

Also I swear similar click-baiting articles have been posted before.

Call me when the Q4 numbers are in (which will show a large growth iOS and a slower growth for Android)

Talk about click baiting...

ApoleInsider will post the opposite news within 24 hrs, exclaiming some survey shows that iOS gained marketshare against Android. 24-hours. It's been done before!
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Apple may make double or triple the revenue, but marketshare can dictate software releases. Look at what Netflix has just released first. It's not released for iOS first, but Android. So once again, we are slowly becoming 2nd class citizens. Much like Windows and Mac.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/15/net...n-a-few-weeks/

But that example completely ruins your marketshare argument. Netflix released a new app for Android tablets. The iPad has 80+% of the tablet market. If marketshare were the driving factor, shouldn't Netflix have released an update for the iPad first?

Of course, with all the "brilliant" business decisions Netflix has made lately, I'm not suppressed they decided to update for Android first...
  • Reply 39 of 84
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

With Apple currently offering 3GS, 4, and 4S in their iPhone lineup, covering five price points ($0, $99, $199, $299, $399), I wonder if that can qualify as "plethora of devices" now.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

But that example completely ruins your marketshare argument. Netflix released a new app for Android tablets. The iPad has 80+% of the tablet market. If marketshare were the driving factor, shouldn't Netflix have released an update for the iPad first?

Of course, with all the "brilliant" business decisions Netflix has made lately, I'm not suppressed they decided to update for Android first...

LOL... your right. I just thought the App works for both tablets and smartphones.