'BlackBerry London' photo claims to show RIM's first BBX OS phone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I hope you are joking. That think looks like a sci-fi prop from the early 80's. I guess in that sense it has a certain retro cache, but pretty? DeLoreanesque, me thinks. Nice for its time and very retro cool, but hardly pretty.

I can see Arnold Schwarzenegger using it on Mars in Total Recall (1990)

(Who wants to put that BBX OS phone in the hands of Quatto? )
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There best bet might be to split the company with a rebranding so they can come out with a great product that isn't tarnished by the association of the cellphone-pager product they've been milking for way too long.

I'm no business head, but I would think the opposite would be in order.

The only thing they got is BB Messenger. The time has come to make an iPhone and an Android, and especially a Windows Phone 7 version of BB Messenger, fire the hardware team and call it done. In other words, hang on to the one piece of IP and branding that still works and ditch the rest of this junk which will never really compete.

Wasn't there a story about 5 months ago about how the board was giving the current co-CEO's six months to turn things around and that then they would revisit the whole "how this company should be structured" thing? I'm expecting a board shake-up, the firing of the CEO's and almost certainly a gigantic restructuring of the whole enterprise in the early Spring.

However wonderful this handset is (or is not), if Xmas sales of "regular" BlackBerrys are not off the charts, I would expect a major re-organisation of the whole company at this stage.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I agree. Nice look to it. Masculine lines to the iPhone's more feminine lines.

20 years ago, perhaps...

v

???
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Regarding paxman's post. I'll take the 2nd one. If anyone wants a new Delorean — and I mean new parts — just ask Ireland, I'm sure he can hook you up.

PS: Can't wait for Top Gear UK to start back up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm no business head, but I would think the opposite would be in order.

The only thing they got is BB Messenger. The time has come to make an iPhone and an Android, and especially a Windows Phone 7 version of BB Messenger, fire the hardware team and call it done. In other words, hang on to the one piece of IP and branding that still works and ditch the rest of this junk which will never really compete.

Wasn't there a story about 5 months ago about how the board was giving the current co-CEO's six months to turn things around and that then they would revisit the whole "how this company should be structured" thing? I'm expecting a board shake-up, the firing of the CEO's and almost certainly a gigantic restructuring of the whole enterprise in the early Spring.

However wonderful this handset is (or is not), if Xmas sales of "regular" BlackBerrys are not off the charts, I would expect a major re-organisation of the whole company at this stage.

But BB Messenger isn't going to work much longer. It was a brilliant idea back when internet costs were high and data was slow, but today these services are offered in a much more robust and secure way. Apple already have iMessages, which is basically the same thing, but we now have email, internet enabled apps, and internet browsers that go so far beyond RiM's backend services that they are a dinosaur.

To RiM's credit they are still making a profit even as their system outages appear to be happening more frequently. But that won't last long. They need to break away from this archaic model of the cellphone+pager, and I don't think they can do that by calling any new device a Blackberry. They need to rebrand like Toyota, Nissan, and Honda did with Lexus, Infinity, and Acura, respectively. Still the same company head, but seen by consumers as a completely new product category. That is what I want to see RiM do, assuming they can pull their QNX-based OS out of the performance tar pit it's sitting in with the PlayBook.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:

DeLorean/Aston Martin

I'll take the DeLorean over that thing any day.

Though I'd take something in between the two over the DeLorean in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:

Regarding paxman's post. I'll take the 2nd one. If anyone wants a new Delorean ? and I mean new parts ? just ask Ireland, I'm sure he can hook you up.

PS: Can't wait for Top Gear UK to start back up.

But BB Messenger isn't going to work much longer. It was a brilliant idea back when internet costs were high and data was slow, but today these services are offered in a much more robust and secure way. Apple already have iMessages, which is basically the same thing, but we now have email, internet enabled apps, and internet browsers that go so far beyond RiM's backend services that they are a dinosaur.

To RiM's credit they are still making a profit even as their system outages appear to be happening more frequently. But that won't last long. They need to break away from this archaic model of the cellphone+pager, and I don't think they can do that by calling any new device a Blackberry. They need to rebrand like Toyota, Nissan, and Honda did with Lexus, Infinity, and Acura, respectively. Still the same company head, but seen by consumers as a completely new product category. That is what I want to see RiM do, assuming they can pull their QNX-based OS out of the performance tar pit it's sitting in with the PlayBook.

The second car adheres to a look like it can cut through a wave [air drag minimized] with no sharp lines. Very nice design.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'll take the DeLorean over that thing any day.

Though I'd take something in between the two over the DeLorean in a heartbeat.

You are mad!

It's not just about specs, which the DMC-12 has very little of in its paltry 4-cyl engine, but it's built on a double-Y frame chassis. There is a reason those aren't common. They simply aren't a great design, so I guess it's good not to have any speed to make it more dangerous than it needs to be. Plus, you can't go through drive throughs with that tiny window and you can't pop open the door without risk hitting the drive through window.

Though, if you could get this jacket and get it to hover I would then agree it's cooler than the Aston Martin.
    PS: Nike finally sold the Back to the Future 2 shoes…
  • Reply 28 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Though, if you could get this jacket and get it to hover I would then agree it's cooler than the Aston Martin.

Totally agree. That's THE jacket. With that, any phone would do. Add a bit of hover and you're off the scales.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

Regarding paxman's post. I'll take the 2nd one. If anyone wants a new Delorean — and I mean new parts — just ask Ireland, I'm sure he can hook you up.

Really? DMC has a branch in Northern Ireland again?

I'd love a right-drive car, but shipping it to the states would probably cost more than the DeLorean itself…

Quote:

…I guess it's good not to have any speed to make it more dangerous than it needs to be.

I'm not really a thrill-seeker, so that works out.

Quote:

Plus, you can't go through drive throughs with that tiny window and you can't pop open the door without risk hitting the drive through window.

I don't eat fast food, so I'm good. And the door only requires a foot of clearance to open. Way less than modern gull-wing supercars.

Quote:

PS: Nike finally sold the Back to the Future 2 shoes…

Nike sold DeLorean shoes. They made 1,000 of them and released them at midnight sometime around Black Friday last year. They were gone by 12:00:00.01. It was a complete farce.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:

Really? DMC has a branch in Northern Ireland again?

I'd love a right-drive car, but shipping it to the states would probably cost more than the DeLorean itself…

From what I understand they are the same parts that were from the factory in the 80s in Ireland that simply didn't get used. They can either sell you the parts or build you one. I think the only think you need is the double-Y frame chassis, but I think they can find you one of those, too. I think there is a US distributor so no need to contact Ireland directly, or maybe they bought out the overseas facility. I don't the specifics, I only know you can get yourself an overpriced and underpowered DMC-12 if you really want one.
    $47,000 - A cassette tape of Huey Lewis and the News Power of Love never sounded so right.
  • Reply 31 of 62

RIM has no taste.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

image: http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/london-111115.jpg

RIM has no taste.

I want to know why that display looks so washed out. Is that a TN panel? It certainly doesn't look like a crisp mockup, an over-saturated AMOLED display, or the quality IPS panel used in the iPhone 4/4S. And this is suppose to be for a release in almost a year from now?
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Looks really cool. Except that it's a Blackberry. The huge a** Blackberry logo doesn't do much for me either.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:

I hope you are joking. That think looks like a sci-fi prop from the early 80's. I guess in that sense it has a certain retro cache, but pretty? DeLoreanesque, me thinks. Nice for its time and very retro cool, but hardly pretty.

Mmm... I hear that when you remove the battery cover -- there is this secret compartment where you can store...
  • Reply 35 of 62
    That's a rather, um, sharp looking phone. Thumbs-up so far.

If I were RIM, I'd be touting how awesome it's gonna be, how quickly it will kill the iPhone/Android and that it runs Flash. How many mega-cores would nice as well, maybe throw in a GHz spec, its multiple SD card slots, USB ports, parallel port for a printer. Oh, and don't forget the built-in print server.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:

It's not just about specs, which the DMC-12 has very little of in its paltry 4-cyl engine

The DeLorean used a 3 litre V6 engine built by the PRV joint venture. With only 150 hp it was no great sports car, but it wasn't a bad engine for the times. Maybe once the flux capacitors were installed there was only room for an L4?
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

The DeLorean used a 3 litre V6 engine built by the PRV joint venture. With only 150 hp it was no great sports car, but it wasn't a bad engine for the times. Maybe once the flux capacitors were installed there was only room for an L4?

Mea culpa. I thought the engine was smaller.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    It's not bad looking.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:

HOLY CRAP, that thing looks pretty.

• Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Homage

Again, "in comparison to the other stuff they've done".