Arthur D. Levinson appointed Chairman of the Board; Bob Iger added

cgjcgj
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Today Apple announced that Arthur D. Levinson, current co-lead of the Board of Directors, has been promoted to Chairman of the Board. While at the same time, they announced that Disney's Bob Iger has been appointed onto the Board.

In a statement, Apple said:

"Levinson has been a co-lead director of Apple?s board since 2005, has served on all three board committees? audit and finance, nominating and corporate governance, and compensation?and will continue to serve on the audit committee. Apple also announced that Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company, will join Apple?s board and will serve on the audit committee."

In the same statement, Apple CEO Tim Cook said this:

"Art has made enormous contributions to Apple since he joined the board in 2000,? said Tim Cook, Apple?s CEO. ?He has been our longest serving co-lead director, and his insight and leadership are incredibly valuable to Apple, our employees and our shareholders.?

You can read the press statement here: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011...the-Board.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yes, but why?

Levinson, that is. I just don't get it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, but why?

Levinson, that is. I just don't get it.

He has been Board co-lead since 2005 and has the time. I guess it's just experience.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

He has been Board co-lead since 2005 and has the time. I guess it's just experience.

Understandable… for any other company.

Why not retire the position altogether? Since Steve's return, Apple hasn't had a chairman. Steve wanted it as the final jewel on the crown of his achievements. There's only one other person on the planet who you can say, "Oh, of course. That's a given," about getting the Apple Chairman of the Board position (except he wouldn't want it) and only three others who could even be in the running. And they're not this guy.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Understandable? for any other company.

Why not retire the position altogether? Since Steve's return, Apple hasn't had a chairman. Steve wanted it as the final jewel on the crown of his achievements. There's only one other person on the planet who you can say, "Oh, of course. That's a given," about getting the Apple Chairman of the Board position (except he wouldn't want it) and only three others who could even be in the running. And they're not this guy.

I personally would have rather seen Bill Campbell or Steve Wozniak (in a strictly ceremonial role though) as Chairman of the Board.