Apple releases iTunes 10.5.1 with public launch of iTunes Match

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I did consider trying that out, though.

I suppose a direct image link (and quote) to the sources in my previous comment minus the extra commentary would have been better warranted. I'll try to take care to do just that from now on in this situation unless the offense (which here is "not bothering to read") is particularly egregious.

Nip it in the bud, so to speak, Really "egregious" -- love it!
  • Reply 82 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I guess I don't see the appeal of this service. I always have my phone with me and it has all my music. I can play in my car, at work or with headphones. What is the point of paying to have it on all my devices?

Not seeing a lot of value here. Nor much profit for Apple.

You're right, for you. If you can fit all of your music on your phone and still have enough room for everything else, then iTunes Match is not for you. I'm sure you can understand why it might appeal to someone with 20,000 songs and a 16GB iPhone, though.
  • Reply 83 of 109
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You're right, for you. If you can fit all of your music on your phone and still have enough room for everything else, then iTunes Match is not for you. I'm sure you can understand why it might appeal to someone with 20,000 songs and a 16GB iPhone, though.

Unless those songs are all low quality and/or pirated. Cheap upgrade for $25.
  • Reply 84 of 109
    In case anyone was wondering like me:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4914

Note: You may use store credit to pay for your iTunes Match subscription however a valid payment method must still be on file at the time of sign up.

• Reply 85 of 109
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that your instant beef with a very vanilla post of his and you being new to the forum makes me think you are were previously banned regular.

Not sure what having been recently registered, or not, has to do with a large volume of condescending and immature posts by a moderator. I haven't checked into AI in months, and just returned to find feedback on iTunes Match. I only read a few threads. But it struck me how TS's responses were consistently rude and condescending. Not a good example for forum members at all...

Quote:

I suppose a direct image link (and quote) to the sources in my previous comment minus the extra commentary would have been better warranted. I'll try to take care to do just that from now on in this situation unless the offense (which here is "not bothering to read") is particularly egregious.

Yeah, asking a previously-answered question is "particularly egregious!" What's with a moderator jumping on people and biting their heads off, then? Commendable?

Why bother to have forums, moderators, and dialogue, if everybody can just RTFM? Right?

With all of this said, AI has a long history of immature moderation. I guess AI gets from moderators what it pays for moderators. And posters get from AI and moderators what they pay for AI. All of which is nada, zilch, zip! \

[end rant]
  • Reply 86 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In case anyone was wondering like me:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4914

Note: You may use store credit to pay for your iTunes Match subscription however a valid payment method must still be on file at the time of sign up.

Bad bad BAD news. I just found this out when I excitedly tried to activate my iTunes Match account. I haven't lived in the US for 16 years, hence, no US credit card. I've been subsisting on iTunes gift cards, for app and music purchases, and AppleTV rentals.

There doesn't seem to be a workaround, other than finding someone with a valid US card to let you borrow their details, then remove the card after you subscribe. Not gonna ask my parents or friends to do this.

Bugger!
  • Reply 87 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Unless those songs are all low quality and/or pirated. Cheap upgrade for $25.

Yeah, but I meant for people with legitimate (read: legal) interest in the service.
  • Reply 88 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

Nip it in the bud, so to speak, Really "egregious" -- love it!

Indeed. I just? I guess I don't want anywhere to become Yahoo! Answers, you know? When I was younger (a LOT younger?) I answered questions for people on Yahoo! Answers and I guess it just got sickening that those (I can say "morons" about 'the stereotypical Yahoo! Answers user', right?) refused to do any research of their own or bothered to even search for their answer within Yahoo! Answers itself!

I dunno, that just stuck with me, and whenever someone? well, you get it. I used to be far more evil about it. Particularly on Yahoo! Answers itself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Escher View Post

Why bother to have forums, moderators, and dialogue, if everybody can just RTFM? Right?

No! No. Not in the slightest.

What you've said is not the point I'm making or the website I'm trying to "create". I have no intention of that nor any real power to do it.

What I'd like to see stop is questions that don't require human assistance to answer. Let's call them 'automated' questions.

Think of the forum as the Library of Congress. Big open area in the middle where people can discuss, books all around with the text of past talks and arguments for reference in the discussion, that sort of thing.

For the sake of the analogy, imagine there's a little librarian that takes care of writing down everything everyone says and deciding what of that goes into the books. Or just imagine it's done at an automated plant and we have Siri on all the tables with the librarian running quality control.

Now imagine the librarian dies and is replaced by a chronic hoarder.

The library, which had been so well maintained, now starts to catalog all of the "CH3AP D14Z3P4M!" comments that a fair few say when they enter the library, making it difficult to find the information you want when sifting through it all. Not to mention the lack of organization on the shelves now that a hoarder's in charge.

Secondary to that, the people who came in and asked the librarian for the hours the library was open would no longer get a stern look and a point to the glass doors through which they walked where the reverse image of the hours of operation can be easily read, they'd get published on the shelves of the library. And when someone else asked without searching the annals (either because they found it too daunting to search or because they're too lazy to do so), they'd also get published. And again.

I just? kinda don't like that idea is all. I think the only thing to which I can equate this is Wikipedia, where they're great about that sort of thing. Every reference to an identical image is just that, a reference. There aren't multiple images stored of the Flag of West Florida; all pages that want to show the flag reference the same image in the same place.

Now, we're always going to have a level of 'automated' questions that need answered, even here, because vBulletin's search sucks eggs. I mean, you can find a thread here faster and more accurately on Google than by using the in-forum search. I just think they should be
  • Reply 89 of 109
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Of the millions of iPhone users out there how many have 20,000 song libraries? Not enough to justify this service.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Of the millions of iPhone users out there how many have 20,000 song libraries? Not enough to justify this service.

SInce the maximum allowed for iTM is 25k I have to assume you've run the numbers and found anything less than 20k makes this service pointless. I don't agree with that assessment.

You have to go by total capacity, not track numbers. I think from the 8GB to 64GB models there are plenty of tracks users can't store on there iDevices but might want to retrieve at a later time. For them I think $2/month might be worth it, especially if they can use the service to replace tracks with 256Kbps DRM-free AAC.
  • Reply 91 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Arstechnica is reporting that if you have more than 25000 songs in your library you are declared ineligible to signup. iTunes Match does not yet support accounts w/greater than 25,000 songs.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-not-apply.ars

Your library contains too many songs.

To participate in iTunes Match, your library must contain no more than 25,000 songs that were not purchased from the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 92 of 109
    Quote:

For them, it's not. But for every one who does... or 10,000 songs, or even 5,000 songs, it's still well worth it.
  • Reply 93 of 109
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Ok- signed up for iTunes match but am having a hiccup. It all went through and said all my songs went to the cloud, but there are no clouds next to my music. All my voice memos have a line through the cloud, but all my music has nada. Normal?
  • Reply 94 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Escher View Post

Not sure what having been recently registered, or not, has to do with a large volume of condescending and immature posts by a moderator. I haven't checked into AI in months, and just returned to find feedback on iTunes Match. I only read a few threads. But it struck me how TS's responses were consistently rude and condescending. Not a good example for forum members at all...

Yeah, asking a previously-answered question is "particularly egregious!" What's with a moderator jumping on people and biting their heads off, then? Commendable?

With all of this said, AI has a long history of immature moderation. I guess AI gets from moderators what it pays for moderators. And posters get from AI and moderators what they pay for AI. All of which is nada, zilch, zip! \

[end rant]

Welcome back from the OOOOOLD days, Escher. Hope you're enjoying your MacBook Air!
  • Reply 95 of 109
    So, when will iTunes match come to Canada?? While I'm at it, when will directions in Siri work in Canada?
  • Reply 96 of 109
    Quote:

Welcome back from the OOOOOLD days, Escher. Hope you're enjoying your MacBook Air!

Thanks, tonton. I see you're still very active in AO, whereas I've stuck to my "no politics, no religion" policy.

Hope everything's still going well on your end. If you're still in HK (16 years!?!), there have to be enough good things to keep you there. Just like I've stuck with the States for 17 years now, save for the last 2.5 in Africa.

Crazy to think that the current AI forum has been up for 10 years now (Nov 2001 - Nov 2011). Can't remember how many years of data we lost when the old forum host went down. At this point, I only log in a couple of times a year. But it feels just like it always has, including things like TS's moderation above (TS: consider this a nostalgic compliment).

I sure as heck love my MBA! It's the first Apple laptop that is truly a sub-notebook and, just as importantly, that I don't have a single complaint about. My only regret is that my MBA isn't this summer's revision with Thunderbolt, so I can't splurge on a Thunderbolt Display with even less wires. But right now, I still move around enough that not having a desktop setup doesn't really matter. There's always the family iMac when I'm home -- now fully synched with the MBA and all of our i-devices via iCloud.
  • Reply 97 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redox21 View Post

Is there a way to stream to Apple TV but access your iTunes Match content listing without a television? I know I could stream to iPhone and then send to ATV with Airplay, but that costs battery and for me cuts out too often. I just want to use the iPhone as a remote and send content straight from cloud to ATV without leaving the TV on to see song menus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

While I think you could since the ATV has audio out ... You'd need to activate the unit which does require a display.. Other options include.

Airport Express does a great job with audio and is regularly found on the apple refurb store and it's one product I never mind getting a refurb for a few bucks less... OR shop amazon and click on the price where it will list all the new refurb AND used offerings sometimes you get one at a really good price.

Also... If you have an iPod dock with audio out ... I think most Apple branded ones do. Then dock and old iPod and I think (might need to confirm this be just old iPod touches and iPhones) anyway that too mould act as a good airplay / iCloud node.

Also since its just gonna be sitting in the dock you really don't need a shiny new unit.. Just so long as it powers even with a damaged screen you'd likely be good to go.

Still I really like the airport express for this since it's just as cheap or cheaper than an ATV and you can use it to extend your wifi network ... Tho you may need an airport extreme for that if you do tho it's stupid easy to setup.

Strange reply; the person is asking if he can sync to an ATV without having to switch on the TV and fiddle with the ATV. I took the question as someone (like myself) not wanting to turn on the TV in order to sync and play music. Your answer is all about different scenarios that the poster never brought up.

I'm still using the 1st Gen ATV to which you cannot VNC into, and I have no idea if something like that is possible on the 2nd Gen. Perhaps the Remote.ipa works with the 2nd Gen ATV?
  • Reply 98 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...fortune cookie-esque comments ...

• Reply 99 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

LOL Great pic.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    Quote:

No! No. Not in the slightest.

What you've said is not the point I'm making or the website I'm trying to "create". I have no intention of that nor any real power to do it.

What I'd like to see stop is questions that don't require human assistance to answer. Let's call them 'automated' questions.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your aim, Tallest Skil. I'm sure you mean well.

The only thing I will add is that there will always be "stupid" questions in any forum, whether it be electronic or in real life, like a classroom in high school. If the people in charge, e.g. moderators or teachers, over-react to "stupid" questions instead of addressing them kindly, this can create a hostile environment, which I doubt you want to create here either. In your imaginary Library of Congress, picture guards with tazers assaulting people, instead of politely pointing to the information on the door!

In any case, apologies for the diversion. Let's get back on topic, i.e. iTunes Match!

I still have my doubts about the reliability of the service and will likely wait at least a couple of weeks before trying it out. However, this is probably because of my slow 'net connection here. If I (or rather, the family iMac with our music library) were back in the States on cable or FiOS, iTunes Match, even in its current state, would be a No-brainer for 25 Bucks! That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.