Apple still working to fix Lion battery life issues on older MacBooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As some users continue to report battery life issues running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on older MacBooks, Apple continues to look into the problem in hopes of finding a solution.

One reader contacted AppleInsider on Tuesday to share that they received a phone call from an Apple technician last week. The representative was said to be following up on both an AppleCare call and Genius Bar appointment involving the customer in July, just after Mac OS X Lion was released as an upgrade on the Mac App Store for $29.99.

"My (MacBook Pro) battery life dropped precipitously after the install, and the Apple support team was clueless," this person wrote. "It kind of ended there, until the phone call last week."

The user was given the impression that Apple is still working on addressing the bug, as they were asked to send an e-mail back to the Apple technician sharing data from a number of tests. These tests included running commands in the terminal window of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

"I was told to expect a software update addressing the issue eventually," they wrote.

Other users continue to detail their own problems with battery life after upgrading to Lion on Apple's official Support Communities website. One thread has ballooned to more than 1,200 posts and 130,000 views, with more being added every day.

"After a full charge on my 17 inch (MacBook Pro), I booted up this morning and it took 5% of the battery to boot up," user "DucatiMonster" wrote on Apple's forums on Monday. "It said 2:52 minutes left, and now 20 minutes later it says 1:33 left. I will be lucky to get a full hour out of this battery that got 8 hours a couple days ago."

The person later posted that their MacBook Pro, after upgrading to Lion, managed 2 hours and 24 minutes of uptime, most of it with the screen off. Another user, "Nickofari," said they went through two calls to AppleCare and two Genius Bar visits to troubleshoot the problem, but no solutions have been provided.

"At the last Genius Bar appointment, they said I need to check-in my computer so they could diagnose the problem more deeply," they wrote. "It's a reasonable approach, but not for me. If I had an extra machine, I would do this, but as my (MacBook Pro) is my primary work computer and I can't live without it. Even with AppleCare, Apple suggested that I buy into the $499 Business Joint Venture Program so they might provide a loaner. Disappointing to be sure."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Not touching this until at least 10.7.5.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Anyone know what MacBooks this affects? Mine is a unibody MacBook (the first gen) and I noticed a decent drop in better life after installing lion too. I assumed it was just because it was aging, but perhaps not.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I have an old White Macbook Early 2008 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM with 10.7.2 and works great. 3:50 Hours tops.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    MBP 15" early 2011 here. I noticed a drop too.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    "planning"?! How about waiting until can be posted with "just released" title, huh?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Even with AppleCare, Apple suggested that I buy into the $499 Business Joint Venture Program so they might provide a loaner. Disappointing to be sure."

Apple SUCKS!
  • Reply 7 of 22
    last year it was "Antennagate", this year it's "Batterygate." Anyone wanna take a guess what's on tap for next year?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post

last year it was "Antennagate", this year it's "Batterygate." Anyone wanna take a guess what's on tap for next year?

screengate
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I think it may be related to code originally introduced in a recent Snow Leopard update. I noticed precipitous drop off in battery life after one of the latest Snow Leopard upgrade released just prior or around the same time as Lion introduction.

Is there a list of upgrade release dates?

MacBookPro 15" just prior to unibody.

Since we made the switch to Lion shortly thereafter, problem masked as introduced with Lion.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    gmacgmac Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hasmit View Post

I think it may be related to code originally introduced in a recent Snow Leopard update. I noticed precipitous drop off in battery life after one of the latest Snow Leopard upgrade released just prior or around the same time as Lion introduction.

Wow, this is an interesting thread. And I totally agree with you. On my late 2008 MBP, I noticed a drop in battery life that was dramatic with Snow Leopard (or one of its patches). I bought a new battery from Apple thinking it was just end of life, but new batter has same issue. Can't believe it would be a software problem and one they are now tackling. I would really welcome this upgrade!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

screengate

Already done- 2009 iMacs.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    After I disabled the com.apple.ReportCrash.Root ReportCrash service, the battery seems getting better.

Before it, the fan running like crazy and suck up my battery. It only happened after I upgraded to lion.

I did it by unloading the com.apple.ReportCrash.Root.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    The support thread doesn't have that many unique posters just the same people going round & round.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    My battery became swollen shortly after upgrading to Lion, don't know if it's related to the upgrade or just purely coincidental.

- 2008 Late MacBook Pro 15" -
  • Reply 15 of 22
    macbook pro 2011 with SSD and HDD in opti bay and 8GB RAM and my battery life is 5:30… in sleep mode also battery goes down by 5 to 8% in 7-8 hours… i'm not sure wether this battery life is correct or not as i'm using it with Lion from beginning… can anybody confirm?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Already done- 2009 iMacs.

yeah, right..

Then HD/SS drivegate?! Have Apple already had this fun?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I've a Macbook '08 and noticed the loss of battery life after upgrading to Lion. Plus it gets warm from just web browsing and the fans are needed more often. This didn't happen under Snow Leopard unless it wasn't properly ventilated or being stressed.

I've tried numerous suggestions from the Apple forums and it has improved things. In the end I put it down to the PC doing more work until I read that even new Macbooks were experiencing the same symptoms.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hasmit View Post

Since we made the switch to Lion shortly thereafter, problem masked as introduced with Lion.

I am running SL on my Air (the original, rev A) and while I usually use it plugged in (and therefore don't have battery life stats to compare), I have noticed that the fans seem to come on more often than they did before (fans <-- more heat <-- greater CPU utilization <-- larger power draw).

If they fix this problem in a future Lion patch, then I'll consider upgrading.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I have the Sandy Bridge Macbook Pro i7 and after Lion, I only get 3 hours of battery life, tops. On Snow Leopard, it was easily 6-7. So the fault lies squarely with Apple. Although I have heard that re-installing the OS from scratch helps, no idea whether it would work with my model. Plus reinstalling from scratch is a PITA. But if it doubles battery life, that's probably worth it.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    I have a brand new (less than 1 year old) mac book pro. I can no longer use the laptop for even a full hour meeting. If I'm running Eclipse, mail, and maybe 2 other things I used to be able to last 4 -5 hours.

I bring my power cord everywhere now. Hopefully Steve Jobs will come back for a look at this