Apple rumored to issue iOS 5.0.2 for battery woes, iOS 5.1 with Siri additions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new rumor claims that Apple will soon issue an update for the iPhone and iPad in the form of iOS 5.0.2 to address battery life issues, while a more significant 5.1 update will expand Siri functionality on the iPhone 4S.

Citing an alleged Apple software engineer, German-language Apple site Macerkopf.de reported on Wednesday that a new iOS update will arrive quickly to further resolve battery issues that have plagued some users. Apple already issued one update in the form of iOS 5.0.1, but battery life problems have persisted for some users, and Apple has publicly said it is looking to address any remaining issues.

The report claims that Apple's internal goal is for iOS 5.0.2 to provide iPhone 4S users 40 hours of standby with 10 hours of active use. It said that the update will arrive "no later than next week."

As for the next major update, iOS 5.1 will allegedly feature "many changes" related to Siri voice control, but the update is not expected to arrive by the end of 2011, as work on Siri is "very expensive."

The site claims that Apple will add new voice commands to Siri, allowing users to initiate activities like taking photos, recording a video, turning Wi-Fi on or off, or enabling and disabling Bluetooth.

Macerkopf.de has had a hit-or-miss track record on iOS-related rumors, as the same site erroneously reported earlier this year that Apple would unveil iOS 5 and a newly updated MobileMe at a media event in early April. Though Apple had held preview events for new builds of iOS around that time in years past, this year the company actually waited until its Worldwide Developers Conference in June to publicly show off iOS 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    Pfft. You can all beta test 5.0.2. I'm waiting until at least 5.1 before I switch from 4.3.5.
  • Reply 2 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.....as work on Siri is "very expensive."

Why would work on Siri be any more expensive than any other feature of iOS?
  • Reply 3 of 97
    I want Siri on my iPhone 4!!
  • Reply 4 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Are heavy Siri users the ones complaining of battery problems or is it some other issue?
  • Reply 5 of 97
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

They have to pay teams of psychoanalysts extortionate hourly rates to work through its problems.
  • Reply 6 of 97
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Maybe Apple has to hire many native speakers of all the languages they intend Siri to support, in order to handle all the colloquialisms of the languages. That kind of redundant expense would likely be much less for most iOS features.
  • Reply 7 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

They have to pay teams of psychoanalysts extortionate hourly rates to work through its problems.

• Reply 8 of 97
    Make Siri able to interact with apps, like ESPN. I want to be able to ask Siri what the score of a game is, and if ESPN is loaded and running in the background she can tell me.
  • Reply 9 of 97
    Me: "Siri, Take a picture:

Siri: "Grandpa Wonderful, I'll leave the picture-taking to you"
  • Reply 10 of 97
    Quote:

They have to hire top family safe comedians like Seinfeld and Bill Cosby to write joke answers for her
  • Reply 11 of 97
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Pfft. You can all beta test 5.0.2. I'm waiting until at least 5.1 before I switch from 4.3.5.

Your loss. Battery life for me has improved, and so has overall speed. Nevermind all the other enhancements like wifi sync I wouldn't want to live without.
  • Reply 12 of 97
    The report claims that Apple's internal goal is for iOS 5.0.2 to provide iPhone 4S users 40 hours of standby with 10 hours of active use. It said that the update will arrive "no later than next week."

Does this mean I should be able to use my iPhone for 10 hours plus get 40 hours of standby? Or 10 hours of use with no standby? Right now I have to charge my phone every night after light use
  • Reply 13 of 97
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    I hope they fix the static issues I'm having. I would also like them to bring back the Turn Off 3G toggle. Maybe that's an hardware problem in the new chips.

I don't think I will use Siri to turn off Wifi. Why not give users the ability to add certain toggles to the notification bar. Like Wifi/BT etc.

Has anyone noticed this bug:

When you're on a website you frequent and click on a link, when you choose to go back from said link you end up on an older version of the website. Very annoying on news-sites.

EDIT: Apparently not a bug. Ajax issue.
  • Reply 14 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Make Siri able to interact with apps, like ESPN. I want to be able to ask Siri what the score of a game is, and if ESPN is loaded and running in the background she can tell me.

Apple already has the technology to do this!

I am hoping they do it -- Open up the APIs to developers.

The ESPN app would not need to be running or even loaded to satisfy the request.
  • Reply 15 of 97
    I still believe for some people it's a matter of perhaps rogue app.
  • Reply 16 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Has anyone noticed this bug:

When you're on a website you frequent and click on a link, when you choose to go back from said link you end up on an older version of the website. Very annoying on news-sites.

This is not a bug. On Google news for example, when you load the page it also goes into the cache. Then Google is updating the page using Ajax which changes the content in various parts of the page but the cache has no knowledge of this update. When you go to your link and hit the back button you get the cached page without all the Ajax updating. That is an inherent issue with Ajax, not a bug in iPhone or Mobile Safari.

If you hold down the link for a few seconds you will get a menu that allows you to open the link in a new page thus preserving the original page. However if you run low on cache space the page will reload when you return, but at least it will be the current content.
  • Reply 17 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apple already has the technology to do this!

I am hoping they do it -- Open up the APIs to developers.

The ESPN app would not need to be running or even loaded to satisfy the request.

I didn't doubt they had it, just wish it were able to be used. I'm sure at some point it will show up on Cydia, I just have never jb'en my phone and don't want to start. But as more and more helpful stuff shows up, the desire grows.
  • Reply 18 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

They have to hire top family safe comedians like Seinfeld and Bill Cosby to write joke answers for her

Me: "Siri, what's an Amazon Fire worth?"

Siri: In a Bill Cosby voice "I don't know"

Bill Cosby Himself
  • Reply 19 of 97
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This is not a bug. On Google news for example, when you load the page it also goes into the cache. Then Google is updating the page using Ajax which changes the content in various parts of the page but the cache has no knowledge of this update. When you go to your link and hit the back button you get the cached page without all the Ajax updating. That is an inherent issue with Ajax, not a bug in iPhone or Mobile Safari.

Thanks.

I did not know that. Have noticed it only happens on a few sites. They most be using Ajax then.
  • Reply 20 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

I want Siri on my iPhone 4!!

Sorry, Obama, we 4S users are the 1%!