iPhone pushes past BlackBerry to top enterprise phone ranks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A study of 2,300 enterprise workers notes that Apple's iPhone has surpassed RIM's BlackBerry as the top pick among business users, with more than twice share of Android models in business.

The report by iPass previously listed BlackBerry slightly ahead of the iPhone one year ago, with RIM holding 34.5 percent compared to Apple's 32.1 percent share. This year however, the iPhone has surged to 45 percent of enterprise users' top pick.

RIM retracted to 32.2 percent, and while Android nearly doubled its rank from 11.3 percent to 21.3 percent, it still remained at less than half the representation of Apple, despite being available from more carriers and a wide variety of handset makers.

Other mobile platforms, including Nokia's Symbian, Microsoft's Windows Mobile/Phone and all others combined, all dropped significantly among business users.

iPass president Evan Kaplan stated, "While increasing iPhone usage in the workplace was inevitable, this is the tipping point when the iPhone has overcome the BlackBerry on its traditional enterprise turf, and business smartphones are in the hands of nearly every knowledge worker."

When asked about future purchases, 18 percent said they planned to buy an iPhone, while 11.2 percent were eying Android, 3.6 percent a Windows Phone model, and just 2.3 percent saying they wanted a BlackBerry, indicating that RIM's share will likely continue to drop.

The survey found that 95 percent of business users now have smartphones, up from 85 percent a year ago, and 91 percent said they used smartphones for work.

This year, 42 percent of the group said they use their personal phone for work, underscoring the "bring your own device" shift that has opened the enterprise up to Apple's products. That number is up from 34 percent last year.

Tablet ownership, which appears to be synonymous with "iPad ownership," has grown to 44 percent of mobile employees, the report noted, up from 33 percent six months ago.

The survey involved employees at 1,100 businesses around the world, about half of whom were from North America. Europe represented 32 percent of the respondents, while 12 percent were from the Asia Pacific region.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The next AppleInsider article will be entitled "iPhone enterprise penetration stagnates as Blackberry surges"
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Not that long ago, my companies IT director was sending out 'tablet updates' where he listed the pros and cons of the then available and upcoming tablets. His top 5 had the Playbook and Touchpad at #1 and 2, and the iPad and iPad 2 were #4 and 5 with some Win tablet in the middle. Now he's totally changed course and only prepares 'mobile' files for iPads, and is recommending replacing our companies corporate Blackberries with iPhones.

What a difference a few months and a little real-world feedback will do for someone.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Am I showing my age here? I remember when there were only 100 1% in a 100%. Now it seems that you can squeeze 113.5 into it. Is this inflation, deflation something submitted by a ten year old?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Yeah, it gets worse every year ;-) The numbers for 2010 also don't add to 100%. Who made this chart?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaptainWhizz View Post

Am I showing my age here? I remember when there were only 100 1% in a 100%. Now it seems that you can squeeze 113.5 into it. Is this inflation, deflation something submitted by a ten year old?

iPhone 45.0%

Blackberry 32.2%

Android 21.3%

Total- 98.5%

How is that 113%?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

iPhone 45.0%

Blackberry 32.2%

Android 21.3%

Total- 98.5%

How is that 113%?

Plus Nokia 7.4% Microsoft 5.5% other 2.1% doh!

Get your adult carer to ensure your taking all of your tablets...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Balmer Quote circa 2007

" [referring to the iPhone] ... it's the most expensive phone EVER, and it doesn't even appeal to enterprise markets because it doesn't have a physical keyboard."

Care to reexamine that statement Mr. Balmer ...?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Imagine the ridicule heaped upon you if you had predicted this two years ago.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Though I still like my BB, I have seen MANY coworkers go to iPhone. This resonates as real.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if some people have two phones, and the study counted both.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmathiesen View Post

Yeah, it gets worse every year ;-) The numbers for 2010 also don't add to 100%. Who made this chart?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

iPhone 45.0%

Blackberry 32.2%

Android 21.3%

Total- 98.5%

How is that 113%?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Balmer Quote circa 2007

" [referring to the iPhone] ... it's the most expensive phone EVER, and it doesn't even appeal to enterprise markets because it doesn't have a physical keyboard."

Care to reexamine that statement Mr. Balmer ...?

"Rounding error."
  • Reply 12 of 14
    huh?...

"A study of 2,300 enterprise workers"... "The survey involved employees at 1,100 businesses around the world"
  • Reply 13 of 14
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

huh?...

"A study of 2,300 enterprise workers"... "The survey involved employees at 1,100 businesses around the world"

Must be CEOs class: - 2.1 per company that are slightly high calibre than normal human being as per representation ;-)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I have probably purchased every mobile phone since the first brick that I believe cost me over 1 thousand dollars back then. I was texting long before anyone else in my circles however I was probably the last person to move to the iPhone. Hands down the best decision I have ever made for this phone is truly the best of the best. From my AVAYA mobile app, Cisco mobile app, Skype and VIBER for Latin America this phone is all I need. I unplugged my desk phone a year ago and never looked back. I keep my iPhone docked in the office on the iFusion smart station to keep the radiation away from the brain in addition to the requirement of a better speakerphone. No matter how you slice and dice you can?t go wrong with the iPhone. I?m not an Apple fan but somehow they have convinced me on this.