Android malware has jumped up 472% since July

Comments

• Reply 21 of 136
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

You guys do realize this is merely the existence of malware and not the existence of the malware IN the marketplace right?

You all sound like you'd rather lock your kids inside (with nice toys and good food and friends only you approve of) as opposed to giving them advice and letting them make their own way in the world.

No, you've got an awfully low threshold for fun.

It's not like "locking your kids inside," it's putting poisons up high so they're not a serious problem.

By the way, to the Charlie Miller fans out there, apparently the last software update handled the problems he brought to light. And 5.0.2 is next. I suppose you're not used to quick patches, or updates that just show up for your phone, which gets updated rather constantly. What percent of free and open phones get that?

If Androids want to understand their "liberty" as the freedom of having antivirus software on a phone, well, I can't help them. To each his own.
  • Reply 22 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's about "choice". Who cares if iOS is stable, free of malware, and an overall pleasure to use? Flash and Malware are choices even if they make for a crappy experience. With Android, I have the luxury of experiencing crap -- You don't!!

ROFL!!!
  • Reply 23 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

No, you've got an awfully low threshold for fun.

It's not like "locking your kids inside," it's putting poisons up high so they're not a serious problem.

By the way, to the Charlie Miller fans out there, apparently the last software update handled the problems he brought to light. And 5.0.2 is next. I suppose you're not used to quick patches, or updates that just show up for your phone, which gets updated rather constantly. What percent of free and open phones get that?

If Androids want to understand their "liberty" as the freedom of having antivirus software on a phone, well, I can't help them. To each his own.

You do realize you've created a strawman right?

I'm not saying that having an anti-virus on your phone is freedom (show me where I said that, or even mentioned anti-virus)

I'm saying that being locked in a garden where nothing OTHER PEOPLE don't approve of gets in is not fun. And is pretty much the antithesis of freedom.

You live in a benevolent dictatorship, I live somewhere in between that and an anarchistic society. (being that I use an iPad and an Android phone)

You are suggesting that anarchy must be chaotic. And I am saying if you are not a total moron trying to steal apps or who leaps before he looks (reads something before approving an install) then you bring it on yourself.

Both systems work, and as I've said constantly iOS's ecosystem is great...just not for me.

Could Google gain a lot by adopting some stricter controls? most likely.

Could Apple gain a lot by easing up a bit? most likely.

Are they both doing fine as they are? Yes.

Is this entire malware thing blown out of proportion? Definitely.
  • Reply 24 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

I assure you we don't want your pity. I feel sorry for those, such as yourself, who have their identity so completely wrapped up in what mobile OS they use that they start to identify themselves--and others--by their phone. iPhones and Androids are a device; they are not a way of life.

Grow up.

Let's see, you say "we don't want your pity" and then you bash us for identifying ourselves with our choice of OS.

So who's this "we" you speak of? Are you identifying with the Android crowd? Are you so completely wrapped up in what OS you use that you start identifying yourself by your phone?

Sure sounds like it to me.
  • Reply 25 of 136
    This is beyond stupid! Surely the intellectual and wise folks at google knew this approach left their platform wide-open for attacks? Openness and stupidity do not go hand in hand but apparently with Android it does.
  • Reply 26 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's about "choice". Who cares if iOS is stable, free of malware, and an overall pleasure to use? Flash and Malware are choices even if they make for a crappy experience. With Android, I have the luxury of experiencing crap -- You don't!!

As long as you admit it's crap
  • Reply 27 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Let's see, you say "we don't want your pity" and then you bash us for identifying ourselves with our choice of OS.

I didn't "bash you," or anyone specifically but the person I quoted (and I'd argue I didn't "bash" him either). I have no idea why you're seemingly offended, unless you're an alt.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

So who's this "we" you speak of? Are you identifying with the Android crowd? Are you so completely wrapped up in what OS you use that you start identifying yourself by your phone?

"We" as in people who own Android, as in the people he was speaking about. I don't identify with the "Android crowd" unless you define it as those who own Android phones--believe it or not, but not all Android users think the same things, much as iOS owners don't either. I don't define myself by it and I also don't judge or disparage others who use other OSs, much as Apple ][ was, which was my point. I don't care if he identifies with iOS, that's fine, but to be so absorbed by that where only your choice is the "right" choice--to speak on behalf of others who do not need be spoken on behalf of--is simply childish. Appe ]['s quote really reminds me of the Nintendo vs Sega days...when I was 8.
  • Reply 28 of 136
    Quote:

You guys do realize this is merely the existence of malware and not the existence of the malware IN the marketplace right?

You all sound like you'd rather lock your kids inside (with nice toys and good food and friends only you approve of) as opposed to giving them advice and letting them make their own way in the world.

Not having to worry about malware or the possibility of it showing up on my iPhone gives me a comforting feeling knowing I can spend more time giving my children advice and guidance as they make their own way in the world.

I don't want to have to care or even think about having to protect my phone against malware. My walled garden has all of the apps I will ever want or need on my phone without needing it to be open....and vulnerable.

I think most smartphone users feel the same way. I know iPhone users do. They live it everyday.....virtually carefree.

If you want to spend the time researching the clean apps or worrying about the (possible) risk, be my guest.

In the meantime, I'll be using my iPhone without a worry in the world.
  • Reply 29 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I think most smartphone users feel the same way. I know iPhone users do. They live it everyday.....virtually carefree.

Most smartphone owners don't own iPhones, which suggests it's not that important to most people.
  • Reply 30 of 136
    Quote:

Not having to worry about malware or the possibility of it showing up on my iPhone gives me a comforting feeling knowing I can spend more time giving my children advice and guidance as they make their own way in the world.

I don't want to have to care or even think about having to protect my phone against malware. My walled garden has all of the apps I will ever want or need on my phone without needing it to be open....and vulnerable.

If you want to spend the time researching the clean apps or worrying about the (possible) risk, be my guest.

In the meantime, I'll be using my iPhone without a worry in the world.

The Malware doesn't just show up on your phone. You have to find an app, install an app, ignore the permissions, confirm you want to install the app and then install the app, and in most cases (if not all) open the app.

It's not like your phone is a frail person and the malware is a gang of angry youths intent on ruining your day.
  • Reply 31 of 136
    Quote:

Most smartphone don't own iPhones, which suggests it's not that important to most people.

Most smartphone buyers are unaware that they need to be aware of the real possibility of becoming infected in one way or another. Those of us who are aware....purchase iPhones.

Given time, those non-iPhone smartphone owners will get tired of dealing, which is the same reason why I hear so many ex-Windows PC users say that since the've switched to the Mac....they will never go back...and that they now know why us Apple lovers....love Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 136
  • Reply 33 of 136
    Quote:

Something we can all enjoy http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6648229/siri-argument

THAT is funny as hell. I laughed my ass off. Thank you.
  • Reply 34 of 136
    Quote:

Most smartphone buyers are unaware that they need to be aware of the real possibility of becoming infected in one way or another. Those of us who are aware....purchase iPhones.

The reason most people here purchase iPhones is because it's made by Apple.

Quote:

Given time, those non-iPhone smartphone owners will get tired of dealing, which is the same reason why I hear so many ex-Windows PC users say that since the've switched to the Mac....

...which is why, 30 years later, Windows is still the dominant OS, by far? (and I say this as a Mac user)
  • Reply 35 of 136
    Quote:

The reason most people here purchase iPhones is because it's made by Apple.

here I'm sure it's because of the quality...out there though a good number probably buy because it's made by Apple.

My friend was using my Nexus One in between a BB and her iPhone 4 and to this day she misses things that Android could do that iOS can't.

She bought iPhone because it was cool...nothing to do with quality, etc.

Mainly the customization and how easy it is to share things between apps.
  • Reply 36 of 136
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    Open system, you get all the crap that comes with it. This is exactly why Apple does what it does to protect us the customer from having to deal with all the crap! That's why Windows is losing share to the Mac for the very same exact reason. Everyone whines about Apple being a closed system but once you get a virus on that open Windows system suddenly things are not so great especially when you have to erase and install everything all over again. All that freedom comes with a BIG price, stability, reliability, and even security.
  • Reply 37 of 136
    Quote:

I assure you we don't want your pity. I feel sorry for those, such as yourself, who have their identity so completely wrapped up in what mobile OS they use that they start to identify themselves--and others--by their phone. iPhones and Androids are a device; they are not a way of life.

Grow up.

That "it's not a way of life" argument worked back in the 80s when computers just shuffled around numbers and played some really rudimentary games, but computers and mobile devices have become an inseparable part of our daily lives. They hold photos, personal information, contacts, home movies, email, voicemail, text messages, work, play, entertainment, etc. They're the starting point for half the things we do in our work and personal lives. We trade photos and movies and jokes and stories there. We connect with our network of friends and family with those devices.

So, yes, sorry to break it to you, but it is a way of life. These things are a matter of lifestyle. And it has been for a long time. And as such, qualitative decisions about these things do matter and do say something about your priorities and who you are and your expectations.

What does it matter to you if those preferences become intertwined with personal feelings? That's to be expected. I don't like fanboy dick-size arguments any more than you do, but don't dismiss the passion someone might feel for their chosen platform as irrelevant. We don't do that to people for their favorite car or sports team or beer, and yet those things are not nearly as integrated into our personal lives as computers and phones.

And hey, if you don't see that, and you view computers and mobile phones as nothing more than a tool or a dumb piece of equipment, then you get my pity whether you want it or not.
  • Reply 38 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

And hey, if you don't see that, and you view computers and mobile phones as nothing more than a tool or a dumb piece of equipment, then you get my pity whether you want it or not.

Smart phones are a way of life; I never disputed that (though I realize my wording might have been confusing). Brands shouldn't be--not to the extent where some are actively insulting others for having *gasp* different taste.

And yes, I despise people who deem those who like a different sports team as lesser individuals just as harshly as those who do the same for brands, regardless of the product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

They are just exactly just that: tools. Products. Materialism. That's not to say they can't be useful, but the obsession and defensiveness some exhibit is getting, frankly, disturbing. Pity me for that if you wish; I'm not the one deserving of it.
  • Reply 39 of 136
    Quote:

Brands shouldn't be--not to the extent where some are actively insulting others for having *gasp* different taste.

But us iPhone fanboys don't go to Android-centric sites evangelizing our "taste".

Why do Fandroids insist upon doing just that?
  • Reply 40 of 136
    Quote:

Grow up.

Well they are. But the fact that you don't see it tells a lot. If you are an Android owner you either do not care or worry about these possible security problems that come with an open system. Or you are willing to take the risk and worry for the sake of an open system. These two categories of android users do this because it is their way of life. Anybody with a bit of common sense can tell you that a world without rules and a system to verify whether people are living by those rules (the law is only as effective as its enforcer) is a total mess and anarchie. Are you more free with such a system? No! Choice is not defined by the amount of options available. But by the ability to make a choice. If I present to you thousands of canned jam without any labels on it nor the gaurantee that neither of them will kill or harm you. You have lots of options but you cannot make an (informed) decision and thus have little choice. If I give you 3 cans of jam with a clear description and the guarantee that it has been tested I have more. Choice. It is a way of living. Trust me.