Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Can she even afford an iPhone now?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My iPhone 4 can't get decent color worth a damn in fluorescent light. The iPhone 4 Apple replaced due to an overheating battery had the exact same problem. I've not had this problem with any kind of camera before, P&S, cellphone or otherwise.

And the lack of optical zoom can be very limiting.

Ummm I often get this result with point & shoot cameras under fluorescent lighting.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

The iHaters are probably going to throw a tantrum and swear that this woman was paid by Apple to hype the iPhone's photo-taking ability.

How do you know she wasn't? Apple has a sneaky way of doing that.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

What she is saying is the old adage, 'the best camera is the one you have with you'. The iPhone is an excellent choice, but this was not a discussion of which phone offers the best camera. It was about photography in general. The quality improvements in the last two years are allowing people who otherwise would never own a camera to finally capture reasonable images. If Apple wants to claim a product endorsement, that's ok, but I believe she was crediting a class of devices.

No she wasn't. She was very specifically crediting one specific phone. And you're missing the point. She wasn't making the case that it's the best camera in its class of product. She was saying for what it is, she's impressed with it enough to recommend that people use it.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

And here I was thinking that having Annie Liebovitz come out and say this was finally going to get the camera-philes to shut up but you seem to be just using it as an excuse to push the same old tired agenda.

You are basically taking her statement and supposing through your own interpretation that she was in fact saying the exact opposite to what she meant to say.

The iPhone camera is not just a camera for people who "never owned a camera before" it's better by a substantial amount than the majority of point and shoots. In other words, as long as you aren't a camera snob or the photographic equivalent of an audiophile, it's actually one of the best cameras you could buy.

I love my iPhone 4S camera and loved the iPhone 4 camera before that. It is likely the best of the smartphone cameras. But, when compared against point-and-shoot, it is the video mode and smarts that would make it preferable for many, but it is not just photography snobs who may prefer a camera with an optical zoom. Of hand, there is no way you can compare any smartphone with an SLR. So, please don't take this the wrong way, the iPhone is no where close to being one of the best cameras you can buy. And it can never be given its form factor.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    You gotta love some of the delusional interpretations that some people come up with.

When somebody mentions iPhone specifically, that really means mobile phones in general and every crappy ass phone with a piece of shit camera on it.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

That's not a bug, it's a smart feature. Anyone with any sensitivity to image creation generally will only use a flash as a last resort. Natural light and a steady hand are two components most lacking in run of the mill photos. Those two key factors would serve as excellent foundation stones as one works to become a good photographer.

If it results in more indoor pictures that are blurry, it's not a smart feature. Also, if the flash came on when there's more ambient light, it would create some decent fill but not the harsh "deer in headlights" look that comes from a flash in darkness.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

How do you know she wasn't? Apple has a sneaky way of doing that.

Really? Do you have some examples to share because I can't think of any.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

The iHaters are probably going to throw a tantrum and swear that this woman was paid by Apple to hype the iPhone's photo-taking ability.

I doubt very much she was paid. However, her assistants iPhone did contain Steve Jobs' phone number, so perhaps she is not entirely unbiased.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/an...ticle-1.344284

As for those who think the cameras in the iPhones are the best you can get in a smartphone, you are deluded. Some of the other phone manufacturers also have divisions which make cameras, like Sony, Panasonic, Sharp and Samsung, and put quite decent cameras in their phones. Samsung even made one with an optical zoom. Panasonic have put their 'Lumix' moniker on the 101P which has a 13.2 MP sensor with a mobile version of their Venus image processing engine. And it's waterproof! Anyone who thinks the iPhone has a better camera than that phone is dreaming or drinking the usual brand of refreshment

Do people really think Liebovitz is recommending the iPhone because she has personally tested a whole range of smartphone cameras and has picked the iPhone because it is the best? No chance. She is recommending what she has first hand experience with and which she knows is simple enough to use for the sort of people who ask her the question.

If someone on here were to ask for my recommendation for a phone with a decent camera, I would recommend what I have personal experience of which is the one in my Samsung. The camera is every bit as good as the one in the iP4 and the camera app is a lot better. It gives you manual exposure control, you can force the flash on for fill and you can manually select the white balance.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I love my iPhone 4S camera and loved the iPhone 4 camera before that. It is likely the best of the smartphone cameras. But, when compared against point-and-shoot, it is the video mode and smarts that would make it preferable for many, but it is not just photography snobs who may prefer a camera with an optical zoom. Of hand, there is no way you can compare any smartphone with an SLR. So, please don't take this the wrong way, the iPhone is no where close to being one of the best cameras you can buy. And it can never be given its form factor.

That's easy, one just labels an SLR a "snob" camera and that removes it from contention from the hyperbolic statement that the iPhone is the best camera ever, other than the snob cameras, that is.

HOWEVER, in the context of this article, getting somewhat back on track, Liebovitz clearly said "snapshot camera", and I think in that context, meaning point and shoot style camera. She also gave it props in terms of being able to show photos, take notes, etc. And I agree with all that.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Am sure the lens is actually made made Sony.

But with Apple not also selling cameras they do not have to artificially limit software.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Ummm I often get this result with point & shoot cameras under fluorescent lighting.

I hadn't seen anything nearly that severe. I grabbed a Canon PowerShot and reshot the situation as similarly as I reasonably can get, all settings on automatic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34962649@N00/6353109461/
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Well, since an optical zoom is impossible in a thin phone, I think you'll have to forgive Apple.

Why do you say impossible? I've been using Sony T series cameras for years, they have optical zoom. And they are a similar thickness to the iPhone. It really is a matter of what features and compromises a company (i.e. Apple) makes when designing and releasing their device...